Customers With Disabilities
jd5000

Network Attached Storage (NAS) for DVR

by jd5000 on ‎10-07-2010 09:56 AM

I know that eSATA support is coming, which is good news, but NAS support would give customers a more flexible option to add DVR storage, and could avoid another box and fan in the living room.

We evaluated USB, eSATA and NAS for storage solutions to extend your DVR. eSATA delivered the reliable, high capacity throughput required for the device. NAS and USB were not as robust options during our testing this year. At the extreme the storage needs to support 90Mbps of sustained I/O... not burst... sustained.
Comments
by on ‎10-07-2010 12:21 PM

Would love to have NAS storage in my home!

by Employee on ‎10-07-2010 12:31 PM
Status changed to: Maybe Later
We evaluated USB, eSATA and NAS for storage solutions to extend your DVR. eSATA delivered the reliable, high capacity throughput required for the device. NAS and USB were not as robust options during our testing this year. At the extreme the storage needs to support 90Mbps of sustained I/O... not burst... sustained.
by jd5000 on ‎10-08-2010 07:49 AM

Wow.  Which channels stream at 90Mbps?  That's more bandwidth than 1080p Blu-ray video with uncompressed 7.1 audio.

Also, in another idea, someone requested Gigabit ethernet on the Verizon router.  The official Verizon answer is that there's no need for that because Verizon doesn't support such high bandwidth.  If Verizon is pushing content at 90Mbps sustained, that seems like a good reason to support Gigabit ethernet to enable features like shared storage.   

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools