Customers With Disabilities
tgoelz

New TV Guide is a bust

by tgoelz on ‎07-06-2011 01:43 PM

Sirs,  I came home from work and had to wait to find out you upgraded the TV Guide (if you want to call it an upgrade).  I personally think it is two step backward and closely resembles the Comcast TV Guide of a few years ago.   Not only is the TV Guide poor programming choice but it also does not hold to the "Favorites" when the box is turned off.  In these days of resources conservation, I think that leaving the box turned on is a waste of resources and not very green thinking.  I wonder who the "airhead" was that OK'ed this (so called) upgrade.  I feel with this new TV Guide you've really screwed up.

Comments
by kay2the2nd on ‎09-15-2011 06:33 AM

bwoodhi1... please explain how one can get used to NOT BEING ABLE TO READ the guide.  The new guide design is almost as bad and the design of this forum... no, unbelievable as it may be, it's worse.

by treblemdk on ‎09-15-2011 12:43 PM

Why don't you guys give us the option to choose which menu we want to use. I've looked through the menu & options on the new guide and it changes nothing at all. This is horrible & its very slow. Definitely not up to speed with the "fios fast" image. It is now worse than direct TV or dish, congrats to the dummies that came up with this "fix"

by Deckers4 on ‎09-15-2011 07:26 PM

With all due respect, the new color scheme for the guide is quite poor.  The light blue, with white lettering is a bit tough on the eyes and much less readable then the old format.  I understand the general feeling when companies make drastic changes like this, customers will complain at the change but then get used to it and calm down after awhile.  While I'd agree that most people don't like change and will complain at anything, there is also the concept of good change and bad change.

It's not in my nature to post negative comments on feedback sites like this; however, this time I felt I should.  I'm not sure how the new scheme made it through the various levels I'm assuming it would need to internally for approval.  I also imagine some person or group performed a study and came up with this concept, but it really needs to be re-thought.  It would be nice if the engineers at least built in a feature to allow the customer to pick the scheme they wanted.

I'm obviously not going to cancel FiOS over this as I love the product; however, extremely disappointed at an unneeded change which has drastically reduced my enjoyment when using the guide.  A sign of a good company is to not be afraid to back away from a new idea when it doesn't work.  I know Verizon is a good company so hoping something will be done.

by kdzmom on ‎09-15-2011 09:12 PM

The recent changes to the video/program guide suck!!  The font is too small and the blue shading and rounded corners make it very difficult to read without straining and getting closer to television.  Makes you wonder what 20something was sitting at her desk making a real pretty little guide and said "ya that's it!"  Well your customers are all ages and you must take into consideration the fact that a good percentage of customers will have great difficulty reading this new 'pretty' guide.  Put the old guide back into operation.

by Atksub706 on ‎09-15-2011 09:28 PM

The new program guide is awful. The problems are many....The screen is slow to respond, very hard to read, and the worst part of the guide is that it does not use the entire screen. Come on FIOS you can do better than that. I like the FIOS TV service but you just knocked it down a notch to equal my local cable provider. The pricing keeps going up, but the service is not expanding or getting any better. Please fix this problem....!

by beecnul8r on ‎09-15-2011 09:59 PM

Not only is it unreadable, the search is now 2/3 rds slower than before and every time you press Favorites, instead of defaulting to the current channel, so you can search up or down, it takes you back to channel 2.  Over and over again.  Thus, if I am on 130 and want to see what is on above 130, I am forced back to channel 2 and have to scroll, at a far slower speed than before, over all the interim channels.  What dummy put this mess of a program out there? 

by LizEE on ‎09-15-2011 10:16 PM

My whole family agrees, this new screen stinks! Bring the old one back! We especially don't like the way Verizon sneeks programs to buy in with the guide. What a rip!

by Employee on ‎09-16-2011 07:56 AM

We had over 100 customers in addition to our staff that tested the experience and gave the "GO" recomendation.

Few points...

- the font is actually bigger in this release than 1.8... and when we shipped 1.8 I also received complaints about being hard to read, which is why we increased the font size (again).

- I agree the best thing to do is let you pick the font size and color scheme... and that work got started earlier in the year for a future release.. it is extremely difficult to make happen on a set top box compared to a computer.

- I have never done a software release that is universally loved (some day I hope to)... no matter what is done in a release some percentage of customers don't like something... so again the answer is to let you customize as much as possible and 1.9 brings tons more preferences for you to tweak in the Settings menu. 

As an example the program info bar we have been told by some passionate customers was too small and didn't display enough of the program info... we make it bigger in 1.9 and then a different set of customers say it is too big now.  So we need yet another preference that let's you pick which one you prefer.

But for each of these posts here there are equally as many, if not more, customers saying they love the new guide:

- the 1.9 upgrade is amazing
- the new update is great. Great improvement.
- Got 1.9 in CA 2 days ago, IT'S GREAT THANK YOU!
- 1.9 is the freaking BOMB!!!!
- 1.9 is much, much better. Thanks for the update!
- I got the 1.9 update.... Awesome work
- Looking at the new 1.9 @FiOSTV firmware update, its great
- Got the 1.9 update today, love it!
- Just got home and saw we got updated to 1.9 on our @FiOSTV wow the GUI is nice!
- Wow 1.9 is so much better!! Love being able to watch stuff off both DVR's!
- New Subscribed Channels list=awesome. (top customer request on Idea Exchange)
- and the esata availability is huge (second most requested feature on Idea Exchange)
- So much better! Nice work.
- woke up to a @FiOSTV update...loving it so far :smileyhappy:
- awesome, but now I'm going to be late to work because I'm checking everything out...thanks!
- just woke up to an update to 1.9 here in TX. So far so good!
- Love the IMG 1.9 in CA,

I am sorry you are not of the same mind... and we will work to get you all smiling again.
by shaun714 on ‎09-16-2011 10:46 AM

the new video guide really sucks,the colors are bad & you can't hardly read them.

by bishopsrus on ‎09-16-2011 01:52 PM

I would also like Verizon to know that we are extremely disappointed with the new guide. It is too difficult to read. The contrast is not enough to move through the options of shows based on categories. Very disappointed if this is kept.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools