Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
tgoelz

New TV Guide is a bust

by tgoelz on ‎07-06-2011 01:43 PM

Sirs,  I came home from work and had to wait to find out you upgraded the TV Guide (if you want to call it an upgrade).  I personally think it is two step backward and closely resembles the Comcast TV Guide of a few years ago.   Not only is the TV Guide poor programming choice but it also does not hold to the "Favorites" when the box is turned off.  In these days of resources conservation, I think that leaving the box turned on is a waste of resources and not very green thinking.  I wonder who the "airhead" was that OK'ed this (so called) upgrade.  I feel with this new TV Guide you've really screwed up.

Comments
by Bamanative on ‎10-05-2011 05:19 PM
The guide search option is rediculouse. I just switched from Cox and their search guide was really easy. Trying to find what time and station a program comes on is nearly impossible. On Cox if you search for college football you get an easy guide that tells you the station, time and day for each game. On fios it's like opening a computer folder and sub folders that go no where. It's got to change.
by djennings7 on ‎10-06-2011 07:35 AM

In our area, FIOS has rolled out a new color scheme for the TV Guide.  It is difficult to read.  Subscribers should have the ability to select settings that will make it more visually accessible or to revert back to the previous color scheme.

by teedles ‎10-07-2011 03:00 AM - edited ‎10-07-2011 03:03 AM

tgoelz wrote:

Sirs,  I came home from work and had to wait to find out you upgraded the TV Guide (if you want to call it an upgrade).  I personally think it is two step backward and closely resembles the Comcast TV Guide of a few years ago.   Not only is the TV Guide poor programming choice but it also does not hold to the "Favorites" when the box is turned off.  In these days of resources conservation, I think that leaving the box turned on is a waste of resources and not very green thinking.  I wonder who the "airhead" was that OK'ed this (so called) upgrade.  I feel with this new TV Guide you've really screwed up.

I do agree with most Folks about how bad the new guide format really SUCKS I can not even read it SHAME ON YOU for forging this crap on us Time Warner is looking better a the time

by Robert145 ‎10-08-2011 06:00 AM - edited ‎10-08-2011 06:03 AM

The previous one was better. This screen wastes too much space. The PIP blocks channel numbers, so you can only see 4 channels so you have to keep scrolling up and down to see what number it is. The active channel is too large and takes up about 4 channels of space. I never minded hitting info to see additional information. We should be able to build our own, or have an option as to which menu to use, not told "heres a new one" get used  to it!    ......Poor job Verizon!

by on ‎10-08-2011 06:31 PM

Would other people care to vote on my suggestion for the graphics on the TV guide listing?  Whenever I look at the guide listing for all the TV stations while the existing picture is minimized and running in a small space in the upper left hand corner of the screen, it's difficult to read because of the way the white print clashes with these color coded graphics in the background.  Change the font color to black.  It's already black when you look at the program listings for one individual TV station.

by on ‎10-08-2011 07:03 PM

this is a duplicate & already has at least 145 votes under top voted ideas. new tv giude is a bust. just add your vote & comment there.

by jl12morrow on ‎10-08-2011 07:49 PM

The new guide is atrocious. What genius engineer came up with this and what bunch of dummies tested it

and decided this HAD to replace the current guide?

We'll also give no option to choose a guide!

I can't even begin to list all the things wrong with it. Speed, readability, speed, won't hold a mode, speed, inserts

on demand movies into the guide (gotta find a setting to turn that off, not buying any movies till the guide is fixed!) , SPEED!!!...

Now it rains for like the first time in months and I go to look at the radar on 49 which I loved and get commercials followed by

weather around the country. I don't give a rats **bleep** about where its raining in the U.S. I want to know where its raining in Dallas, TX.

Just for the record Verizon, my contract is up soon!

by nolleto on ‎10-10-2011 05:36 AM

Most of the so called upgrades I've seen are terrible.  The guide loads slower and is harder to read.  Now they have taken away the weather scan and replaced it with the weather channel which we already have on another channel.  If you're going to make changes, at least give us something better.  How about DVRs that can record 4 channels like ATT can.

by Msmith1357 ‎10-10-2011 05:24 PM - edited ‎10-10-2011 05:32 PM

Probably canceling my Fios (phone internet and 5 TVs) over this and switching back to cable over the menu issue. I gave it a chance (and generally I like upgrades, but this new system is soooo buggy).  My primary gripes are:

-THEY GOT RID OF PREDICTIVE SEARCH!!!!

-The DVR's rewind/skip/replay features dont work while watching something if it's also regularly scheduled program recording while you were watching

-Messages automatically get deleted; for example the message explaining the new featured was gone on ALL TVs, not just the one I read it on.

-Added more useless widgets that you dont have the ability remove.  (No I'm not going to buy a Lincoln 2102 Hybrid because my Fios Horoscope told me it was on Hot on Fios Spotlight. Go away.)

-Changing the channel while watching a standard def DVR recording will STILL sometimes cause it to not free up space when deleted (but is removed from list).  Fixing this requires a soft reset of the STB.

-The "New" "TV-14" "HD" "cc" and "category" icons are wayyy too small in both full and pop up views.  And this is on a 54" TV at 8' distance... and yes, I'm wearing my glasses which correct my vision to just about 20/20 :smileyhappy:

-No way to automatically clear ALL "recent deletes" at once, much less not keep them in the first place.  The latter goes for DVR "history" as well.

ALSO, stupid things they didn't fix:

-The "featured on fios" is still the default menu item selected. This is annoying because if you accidentally click over to it, you lose your place in what's playing on the DVR or where you were in a live program. Why does this even happen? Just make it like the other menus!

-Ability to disable pop up alerts for only one channel.  What if I want to use them on one channel, but CNN's annoys the cr#p out of me?

-Still no ability to save favorite channels to back-up (or other settings) to survive a reset... which happens all of the time.

-They added "subscribed channels" as a search option, but what about eliminating the duplicates for HD/SD.  It's clutter that I don't need. Also, how about the same feature for adding to favorites? Do you have any idea how annoying it is to add all of those movie channels back, matching up which have an HD counterpart and which don't.  Maybe also add the ability to search only 'favorites'? That way I can not have duplicate search results.

-Didn't fix the bug where "upcoming programs" listings are missing. Sometimes it's not available when there ARE upcoming shows.  Sometimes it will only list the SD version and not the HD one, or vice versa.  And why is this feature NEVER available when watching on DVR?

-Is there still really a need for "program options" AND "full info" pages? Why not just put the full info description the program options page? It's big enough now.

-Still no ability to automatically 'space-needed protect'  non-series recordings.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts.  Maybe I'll switch back to Fios in a year or so after they get the bugs worked out.

by Ike1 on ‎10-11-2011 07:09 PM
I agree that the color scheme is horrific and contrasts very poolry, making it difficult to read. Change back to the old color scheme and most of these complaints will disappear! On a more positive note, I like the way the new guide occupies 16:9 instead of just 4:3. But those colors, UGH... MY EYES, MY EYES! Also, I agree with the complaints that the info bar occupies too much of the screen. I don't understand who on Earth could have been complaining that the previous info bar was too small. Those people must have been blind and/or senile.
Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools