Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
charliechan

Password Security

by charliechan on ‎12-01-2010 11:30 AM - last edited on ‎12-21-2010 11:07 AM by Admin Emeritus

Isn't it time, grown-ups in the room, to make the use of special characters as part of every password? Can anyone in the Verizon heirarchy of dunces spell "internet security". This is a simple step taken by virtually every other business with our personal and financial records on file. How about it Verizon, ready to move internet security to the front burner before half a million chinese are using our credit cards hacked from our email accounts or  Verizon account page?

We completely agree and stay tuned for an update
Comments
by Admin Emeritus on ‎12-03-2010 01:47 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by Employee on ‎12-08-2010 01:09 PM
Status changed to: Under Review
We completely agree and stay tuned for an update
by VMonkey on ‎12-01-2011 07:42 AM

Time is of the essence with this change folks. Almost a year has elapsed since this was put under 'review' status and we still can't use strong passwords.

The more functionality you put behind an account with weak passwords, the greater the liability for everyone. This needs to be implemented urgently.

by XylexRayne on ‎03-23-2012 11:03 AM

I am a Network Administrator for a very large bank and I write password algorithms for them for a living.

That being said, there is absolutely no excuse for Verizon to not have implemented a system to allow users complex passwords. If anything, they should require it. It is not their place to restrict what a user has in his or her password.

Iam so secure with my passwords, I'll forget ones that don't have letters, Number, Symbols and at least 12 Characters long. My highest security password is over 120 characters in length, and contains everything you can see on your keyboard. Its been a debate for years since before the start millennium. Password hashing should be used in every system, especially ones as large as Verizon, probably more secure then what everyone knows and uses today. An associate of mine just recently had his account hacked. Stole all of his personal information and changes many settings that affected his service. We both are displeased with the lack of password security, and are on the market for a new provider, which is a pity for Verizon, since I pay over $350 a month for my service for my wife and kids. My associate pays more then I do for his.

Bottom line is this. Verizon needs a wake up call. Their lack of flexibility and security will seriously hurt them if this is next fixed within 3-6 months. I know how security holes like this work. Verizon will lose more then money in the end.
If any of you have a Verizon Wireless account, switch now before your account(s) are hacked.

I am through with Verizon. My family and I are leaving later today for better service and phones.

I am posting this everywhere I can to spread this word. This is not a simple mistake Verizon has made, and they will learn that soon enough. 

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools