Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
dslr595148

Please deploy full SSL.

by MVP dslr595148 MVP on ‎11-02-2010 05:25 AM - last edited on ‎11-15-2010 12:20 PM by Admin Emeritus

The flaw that is addressed in http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-272.htm which is Security Now! with Steve Gibson, Episode 272, recorded October 27, 2010: Firesheep puts a lot of pressure on you to deploy full SSL.

For example by Full SSL, I don't just mean to log-in with. I mean,

#1 The site must allow users to browse & post while using SSL.

#2 For sending and receiving e-mail (it could be by web based e-mail or SMTP/POP OR even an IMAP client on their computer) using SSL.

#3 The site must allow users to browse, pay online while using SSL.

We are currently implementing SSL. We expect to be done over the coming weeks.
Comments
by Admin Emeritus on ‎11-03-2010 01:16 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by whorka on ‎11-03-2010 10:34 PM

I fully agree. It's all too easy to sniff unencrypted wireless connections these days. On the web site, all session cookies need to be encrypted on every page transfer during a logged-in session to prevent user sessions on wireless networks from being hijacked by other users of the same network. Likewise, grabbing email usernames and passwords over a wireless connection is a simple point-and-click operation unless these sessions are SSL encrypted. (They are currently not.)

Leaving customers exposed to such a vulnerability is not only negligent to the user accounts' own security, it could also do damage to Verizon's network if a significant number of accounts are compromised and used to send SPAM or worse.

Running SSL POP should be a simple matter of installing stunnel on the mail servers.

by Admin Emeritus on ‎11-15-2010 12:19 PM
Status changed to: Under Review

by pseverance on ‎01-03-2011 07:25 PM

I absolutely agree.

FIx it.  Meanwhile, you owe it to your PAYING subscribers to FULLY REVEAL how shoddy Verizon/Yahoo security as it pertains to their personal information.

Most people trust that this is a secure service.

It isn't.

Be honest with them, so they can take the necessary steps to safeguard their information.

To not tell them is more than negligent.

by DaveK2 ‎01-04-2011 09:54 AM - edited ‎01-04-2011 10:48 AM

Whorka mentioned SSL POP, which would be great.   But Verizon POP currently doesn't even support encrypted login - even passwords are sent in the clear, and setting the client to use encrypted passwords hangs the connection.   Please improve client-based email with:

1) encrypted POP login, or

2) full-time secure (TLS) POP,

but preferably

3) support a decent email protocol, IMAP.  I mean RFC 1730 came out in 1994 and RFC 3501 in 2003, and Netscape 7 could use IMAP with Exchange server way back then.   Email isn't bleeding edge rocket science, and using totally insecure POP in 2011 gives Verizon a black eye.

Edit: Posted this before seeing mcaranci's IMAP suggestion.  Of course, I voted that one up too.

by ACABThomas on ‎02-02-2011 12:48 PM

Webmail is often used in unsecure places away from home.  So it's imperative to have full SLL support to protect it from network sniffers, etc,

by Admin Emeritus on ‎03-07-2011 12:04 PM
Status changed to: In Progress
We are currently implementing SSL. We expect to be done over the coming weeks.
by nabber00 on ‎09-13-2011 11:20 AM

So this should be done by now? Is it?

by Silver Contributor V on ‎10-05-2011 06:10 AM

SSL is definitely supported (not sure when they did it).

Also APOP is supported for passwords, even without SSL and for a long time, so your password need never be exposed.

Ports

outgoing.verizon.net  587, 465(SSL)

Incoming.verizon.net 110, 995(SSL)

by MVP dslr595148 MVP on ‎10-05-2011 07:18 AM

SSL is definitely supported (not sure when they did it).

Also APOP is supported for passwords, even without SSL and for a long time, so your password need never be exposed.

Ports

outgoing.verizon.net  587, 465(SSL)

Incoming.verizon.net 110, 995(SSL)

How about for FTP?

Thanks.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools