• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
keedinah

Put offers in writing

by keedinah on ‎02-01-2011 03:42 PM

I called in mid November to ask a question about my internet billing. Of course, the rep had to tell me about Verizon Fios, and wouldn't I like to switch over to this great service for a great price... yada, yada, yada. I listened to the pitch (making sure to write down everything she said) and since the price WAS good, I decided to place an order.

I asked this rep several times, "Now, I don't want any suprises when I get my bill. You're telling me that for all of these services, this will be the price I will pay?"

"Oh, yes ma'am. The prices I have quoted you include taxes so you will most certainly know what you'll be paying every month. The prices are good for 2 years, there's no installation charge, there's no deposit, and there's no contract."

Well, she got 4 out of 5 right.

When I got my first bill, it was $80 higher than the price I was quoted. I did bear in mind that this was my first bill and that I was probably paying for pro-rated services for December as well as January charges. But still, I thought it was probably a good idea to call and get a true understanding of what I'd been charged and confirm that after the initial bill, I would be paying the price I was told when I ordered the services.

Let me say that the rep I spoke with on 01/25/2011 was extremely sympathetic and did his best to try and rectify the situation. But I was also told that the price I was given for the services I ordered was not correct. He said that my monthly bill for the first 12 months would be approximately $33 more than I was told, and I could add a charge for the DVR to that for the second 12 (since it would no longer be free, which I already knew).

Needless to say, I was not happy. I am EXTREMELY UPSET that Verizon reps are lying, deceiving, and just perpetrating outright fraud to sell services. It's not right. I didn't call Verizon to order anything, I called to ask a question about a bill for an existing service. I was courteous enough to listen to the sales pitch, and since it sounded like a good deal I placed an order, TRUSTING that the information I was given was correct. Big mistake.

I expressed my frustration to the rep I spoke to on 01/25/2011 and he was able to apply a discount for 12 months which will bring me closer to the price I was told when I ordered the services. I pointed out that the price I was given was good for 24 months. He said that the system wouldn't allow him to apply the discount for more than 12 months. So basically, it looks like I will be stuck paying $33 more than the price I was originally told for the second 12 months (in addition to paying for the DVR if I decide to keep it, which I probably won't).

I think this confusion and frustration could be avoided if you put offers in writing. All I have are prices that I wrote down from the conversation I had with the rep when I placed the order. I'm sure Verizon has some record of the conversation I had with that rep, but I have no access to them to prove what I was told. If Verizon would send out letters (either by email or regular mail) verifying the services that have been ordered and for the prices that have been quoted, I think you'd have a much higher level of customer satisfaction with regard to billing issues.

We provide a series of emails that provide offers in writing... did you not receive a single email? One of the emails is called "What's Next"... and it definitely provides a written document of what you ordered.
Comments
by 123champ on ‎02-01-2011 05:23 PM - last edited on ‎02-01-2011 05:38 PM by Moderator

Completely agree with this customer. My experience has been very similar.

When I signed up for service, the rep said "I will do better than the internet Triple Play price of $89.99 plus free DVR for 12 months. I will give it to you for $85, PLUS give you a free DVR for 12 months, PLUS 6 months of international channels free".

It seemed incredible. But that apparently was just a sales gimmick. Later I found that it is either the free DVR, or the 6 free months. I threaten to cancel even before installation, and am given a "customer appreciation credit" for 12 months.

When I receive my first bill, I find that the Triple Play price is actually $95, not $85 -- that is even higher than the internet price! No amount of calling Verizon helps.

Now I am locked in a two year contract. There is no way to trace any of the previous reps I spoke with.

BG-ESC0201

by Employee on ‎02-02-2011 04:45 PM
Status changed to: Already Exists
We provide a series of emails that provide offers in writing... did you not receive a single email? One of the emails is called "What's Next"... and it definitely provides a written document of what you ordered.
by keedinah on ‎02-02-2011 06:23 PM
"by on 02-02-2011 04:45 PM

Status changed to: Already Exists
We provide a series of emails that provide offers in writing... did you not receive a single email? One of the emails is called "What's Next"... and it definitely provides a written document of what you ordered."

@ Joe_Ambeault - The letter I got after I placed the order says that the DVR will be free for 12 months, and there'll be a $20 per month credit for $24 months. Does it list the specific price breakdown the Verizon rep went to great lengths to repeat to assure me that I would be paying the price she gave me? No, it does not. So no, detailed offers in writing DO NOT EXIST, thank you very much.

by 123champ on ‎02-07-2011 08:01 AM

Agree with keedinah. Thepaper letter I received listed the order items, but not their prices.

So this does not exist - please modify the idea 'status'.

by Vannote on ‎02-24-2011 06:15 AM

I am having the same problem. i signed up for what an Agent told me would be my charges and after the first bill i also thought it probably would be higher then the second bill was just as high. i talk to many agents that said, they can not give me the same discount as its not in their records. well thats calling me a liar isnt it?

and no i never received an email from verizon about any of my calls and charges offered.

i want a follow up letter of my conversations with the agents.

they say i have to stick to the "contract" or i would be charged. well they are the ones not sticking to the contract.

by goodBY on ‎03-25-2012 02:24 PM

FIRST I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW SLOW THIS WEB PAGE IS! SECOND -I THINK YOU NEED AND AGAIN NEED TO HAVE SOME TYPE OF CUSTOMER VERIFICATION OF ANY CHANGES TO ANY CONTRACTS CLAIMED TO BE MADE OVER THE PHONE! I for one will not be a Verizon customer for very much longer because an operator made a claim that i can not prove to be not true!she extended  a nonexisting contract for two years and i have no way of proving her wrong! i for oine will only agree to a contract in writting and all others are nonbinding to me!will not be long before it's BY BY ! FRANK IN VA.BCH.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools