Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
OrbitalMind

Re establish Call Intercept for Digital Voice!

by OrbitalMind on ‎06-16-2011 06:28 AM

Call Intercept was one of the greatest calling features Verizon ever put in place. Was Verizon pressured to remove this service?

For those of you who are unaware, this is the purpose beyond Call Intercept.

CALL inTerCePT*

Call Intercept allows you to manage your calls by screening unidentified incoming calls. 

Call Intercept answers virtually all calls that do not provide a valid telephone number

(numbers that typically appear as “anonymous,” “private,” “out of area” or “unavailable” on

your Caller ID screen) before your phone rings.  Callers will be told that you do not accept

unidentified calls and will be asked to record their name.  If unidentified callers do not

record their name – or enter your override code – your phone will not ring.  This eliminates

interruptions from unidentified callers.  Recorded names allow you to hear who is calling. 

You then have several call-handing options.

*Must have Caller ID service.  Not available for business or rotary dial service.

How Call intercept works

Unidentified callers will hear the following announcement:

“The number you are calling has Call Intercept, a service that requires callers whose telephone

number does not appear on their Caller ID display to identify themselves before the call can

continue.  At the tone, please record your name or the company you represent and then press

the pound key or simply stay on the line”

If callers have your override code, also referred to as your PIN (see Override/PIN Code

section), they must enter it during the announcement to be connected.

If callers record their name, the call is connected.  You’ll hear ringing and callers hear:

“Thank you.  Please hold.”  They will then hear music until you choose how to handle the

call.

The ringing pattern you hear will be different from your existing ringing pattern and the

words, “Call intercept” along with the service number “1-800-527-7070”  will appear on

your Caller ID screen.

When you answer, you’ll hear the recorded name and be given the following options:

when you press: Callers hear:

1 Accept call “Thank you. Please hold.”  Music, until

you answer the phone.

2 Decline the call “The person you are calling is not

available.  Thank you.  Good-bye.”

3 Refuse a sales call “The person you are calling does

not accept phone solicitations. 

Please add the name to your

Do Not Call list.  

Thank you.  Good-bye.”

4 Send to Verizon Home Voice Mail* “Connecting to an answering system.”

5 Hear who is calling again Music, until you answer or

make a choice.

*You must subscribe to Verizon Home Voice Mail service to hear option  4 . If no one answers the phone, the

caller is connected to your Verizon Home Voice Mail (HVM) service or your answering machine.  If you do not

have either HVM or an answering machine, callers will hear: “The person you are calling is not available at

this time.  Thank you.  Good-bye.”

Unidentified long distance callers reaching Call Intercept will pay their normal rates for a

completed call.

I strong urge VERIZON to bring back this service!  The only reason that they would have abandoned this service is because of pressure from the companies who were unable to get through! I want this type of protection from Harassment  for Digital Voice!

If Anyone Else Agrees please tell Verizon to bring back CALL INTERCEPT!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll consider for the future.
Comments
by Admin Emeritus on ‎06-16-2011 07:31 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by Sunny330 on ‎06-16-2011 01:06 PM

I'm with you, Orbital Mind. I'm being battered by unknown callers every single day and I feel helpless. I feel like I'm getting attacked in my own home. Since I'm only able to block ten at a time, I'm forced to just sit here while the phone rings and rings, with new numbers calling every day. I've had the same non-published number for 30 years and I'm on that useless waste of time Do Not Call list.

by SilveryFox on ‎06-22-2011 07:02 PM

Great idea - hope Verizon brings it back!

by Employee on ‎06-27-2011 07:17 AM
Status changed to: Maybe Later
Thanks for the suggestion. We'll consider for the future.
by Gold Contributor VII on ‎06-27-2011 07:57 AM

I was not aware of this service, now that I know it is being/has been discontinued? Wow, that is terrible. Please start this service up again. Thank you.

by Ken_B on ‎07-05-2011 04:23 PM
Yes, the current Call Block does not seem to intercept blank, [UNKNOWN], [UNAVAILABLE] and other caller-ID tricks, and is limited to 10 specific numbers to block. I would love to see this service improved.
by TinSolder on ‎07-18-2011 02:56 PM

I have noticed that many people are using their cell phones to replace their land lines, so how about giving the remaining loyal customers a better incentive to stay on the line by either lowering rates or some other perks that would make us want to keep our land lines?

by easelpad on ‎01-05-2012 09:37 AM

I hate Digital Voice without CALL INTERCEPT - so much I may actually switch back. I was ASSURED that call intercept would work with digital voice and have spent almost 12 hours between FOIS tech support and billing who have assured me that 'call intercept works with digital voice' - if it does TURN IT ON.

Incoming call black is NOT the same as CALL INTERCEPT. 

PLEASE bring back CALL INTERCEPT TO DIGITAL VOICE!!

Without it I may move to vonage or drop voice all together.

by watches on ‎07-27-2012 05:15 PM

I have been getting a ton of unavailble and out of area hang up calls that it is getting ridiculous.  I want my Call intercept back ...  PLEASE reconsider.  Companies as well as people shpould not have the right to harrass or abuse the consumer...  especially those that keep Verizon in business.

Thank you

by NYC_viper on ‎09-06-2012 08:21 PM

I miss Call Intercept since switching to Digital Voice. Getting plenty of call from Unavailable. Anonymous Call Rejection is useless due to its limitation and inability to block Unavailable.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools