Customers With Disabilities
Dyan

Release new features ONLY when both PC and MAC compatible

by Dyan on ‎08-20-2010 10:46 AM - last edited on ‎08-26-2010 12:41 PM by Employee Emeritus

I develop marketing initiatives for clients. Never do I allow a digital component to be released unless we have covered both PC AND MAC needs. This is not hard work, folks!

I see all of these wonderful features being released but most are not compatible with a Mac. For instance:

- I can access Call Assistant but I have to keep checking for new messages, et all. The PC user can download a program that will alert them to new messages. What's up - do you not think Mac users would like the same ease of use?

- Media Manager - I realize a lot of folks are having challenges with this program, I am sure those issues will get sorted. However, as a Mac user, I can only stream music or photos. What I really want to do - stream video - is not part of the Mac program. Why not???

- And the biggest issue by far - no WiFi access for Mac. I just don't get it.

I also don't get that I have to continue paying the same rates as PC users but can't even get access to the services. At the VERY least, until your features are Mac compatible offer your Mac customers a discount until you get the services in line. That would accomplish a couple of things. First, your Mac customers would at least know you appreciate us. Second, the cost of this discount could be incentive to your developers to serve both Mac and PC customers equally. I would bet if there was a shared cost/risk arrangement between you and your developers we Mac users would be better served. 

(I type this from a shiney MacBook Pro)

I think the idea is to only ship new features when we cover both Mac OS X and Windows.

I agree supporting Mac OS X is important, but let's put this in perspective. 93% of the world's computers run Windows. Even if we remove businesses from the figures, then Mac OS devices are still in the minority... so it is not likely we will hold back Windows support for the majority of customers to wait for Mac support.

It is completely common place for software developers to hit Windows first and then follow up with Mac OS X support. Netflix instant streaming existed for quite some time on Windows only.

Most importantly if this wasn't true I would be playing Sid's CIV5 instead of responding here... but alas it is only available on Windows and won't hit Macs for 4-5 more months (sigghhh!!!)

Specifically related to Media Manager - video is not part of the Mac OS X version because we have to completely re-engineer the software for Mac OS X... very expensive and time consuming... but we are making the investment.

Comments
by JDCarroll on ‎08-20-2010 07:36 PM

I have the same issue except I run Linux. I don't use the Call Assistant or the Media Manager, but the wireless works just fine (Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.4).  Maybe you should be giving the Mac guys a call about that.

by Employee Emeritus on ‎08-23-2010 04:42 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by Employee Emeritus ‎08-24-2010 09:40 AM - edited ‎08-24-2010 09:49 AM

Changed categories to Internet and Home Phone.

by watice on ‎09-01-2010 01:48 PM

no wifi access for macs? can you elaborate on that? wifi specs are to industry standards, and independant of OS I thought?

by MVP dslr595148 MVP on ‎09-02-2010 07:48 AM

The OP was talking about

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/highspeed/networking/setup/wifi/124613.htm

* Quote *

The service requires Windows Vista or Windows XP 32-bit with Service Pack 3. Verizon Wi-Fi is not available on Macintosh, Windows XP 64-bit, or Windows 7 operating systems.

** End Quote **

^^^

by jug831 on ‎09-02-2010 08:54 PM

Having just purchased an iPhone 4, I found the FiOS DVR app to be spectacular, so I know Verizon can develop great apps.

But, there is a real hole in the system not being able to use Verizon WiFi hot spots!  An app to find and allow use of this valuable feature that I am paying for would be great!

by joek44 on ‎09-23-2010 09:35 AM

Is there any projection for this service which is currently unavailable going to be available?  In the interim, it would seem that from a truth in marketing standpoint you shouldn't offer a service you can't provide to all your users.  I don't see any billing reduction offered for services you don't provide.

by Employee ‎10-12-2010 03:57 AM - edited ‎10-12-2010 04:00 AM
Status changed to: Not Likely

(I type this from a shiney MacBook Pro)

I think the idea is to only ship new features when we cover both Mac OS X and Windows.

I agree supporting Mac OS X is important, but let's put this in perspective. 93% of the world's computers run Windows. Even if we remove businesses from the figures, then Mac OS devices are still in the minority... so it is not likely we will hold back Windows support for the majority of customers to wait for Mac support.

It is completely common place for software developers to hit Windows first and then follow up with Mac OS X support. Netflix instant streaming existed for quite some time on Windows only.

Most importantly if this wasn't true I would be playing Sid's CIV5 instead of responding here... but alas it is only available on Windows and won't hit Macs for 4-5 more months (sigghhh!!!)

Specifically related to Media Manager - video is not part of the Mac OS X version because we have to completely re-engineer the software for Mac OS X... very expensive and time consuming... but we are making the investment.

by MVP dslr595148 MVP on ‎10-19-2010 06:46 PM

But let's put this in perspective. 93% of the world's computers run Windows.

Please tell me. Where did you get that info from.

Thanks.

In the meantime, as I wait for a reply - I give more up to date info and I state my source:

From http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-226.htm which was Security Now! with Steve Gibson, Episode 226 for December 10, 2009: Listener Feedback #81.

So summing up the various Windows - XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 2000 - Windows, any Windows, is at 91.26 percent, with Mac at 5, and then Linux at 1.

^

by tahoejoe ‎10-20-2010 05:50 AM - edited ‎10-20-2010 05:52 AM

Here's even more up-to-date data:

http://theappleblog.com/2010/10/14/mac-market-share-surges-in-u-s/

"Preliminary estimates by Gartner and IDC put U.S. Mac market share for third quarter 2010 at 9.3 percent and 10.6 percent respectively."

Wow!  Mac is all the way up to 10% market share!   Whether Mac's share is 7%, 10%, or even 15%, you are still a vast minority of users.  You want the rest of us to wait for features just because they are not available for your chosen OS?  If you really want the features buy a copy of windows and dual boot.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools