Customers With Disabilities
ferdoud

Remote DVR for Blackberry OS 7.

by on ‎12-06-2011 07:02 AM

Is there plans to develop a new remote DVR for Blackberry OS 7? This was working perfectly on prior OS. Thanks

this was posted here initially but VZ employee moved it to a forum, then another VZ employee said I should post it here!

We develop and maintain apps on a wide variety of CE devices and prioritize that work based on their popularity and which ones show up in our logs as the ones using our services most frequently. Based on those metrics Blackberry is very far down the priority list, to the point where we do not allocate development resources to develop new sw or update our existing apps as new OS versions become available. We understand BlackBerry is an awesome business tool, and that BB owners can be fantastically loyal, but we (relatively) rarely see Blackberry owners use or ask for our applications. As a result, I doubt you will see the Remote DVR update you are looking for anytime soon, if at all.
Comments
by Employee on ‎12-08-2011 10:20 AM
Status changed to: Not Likely
We develop and maintain apps on a wide variety of CE devices and prioritize that work based on their popularity and which ones show up in our logs as the ones using our services most frequently. Based on those metrics Blackberry is very far down the priority list, to the point where we do not allocate development resources to develop new sw or update our existing apps as new OS versions become available. We understand BlackBerry is an awesome business tool, and that BB owners can be fantastically loyal, but we (relatively) rarely see Blackberry owners use or ask for our applications. As a result, I doubt you will see the Remote DVR update you are looking for anytime soon, if at all.
by on ‎12-09-2011 06:40 PM

Thank you Stanley!!! One of the reasons I will be moving from Blackberry once my contract expires...mainly apps availability!!

by Stephen_TX on ‎12-13-2011 11:18 AM

Very disappointing response, Malcolm.  While I recognize the popularity of non-BlackBerry devices, BlackBerry's use in business environments is exactly why Verizon should support BB OS 7.   It worked great in both OS 5 and OS 6, and was invaluable while traveling.  Given the number of BB applications that moved seemlessly across to OS 7, I can't believe it's that big of a challenge.  And, even if it doesn't work with the OS 7 touch-screen, because of the BB keypad and trackball, it still would be very useful on new BB's like the Bold 9900.  I'd encourage you (Verizon) to reconsider.

by Stephen_TX on ‎12-23-2011 08:25 AM

Malcolm, as a follow-up, I was able to load the application from my Bold 9700 (operating under OS 5) to the new Bold 9900 (operating under OS 7).  Other than some small formatting issues (which basically don't take advantage of the new, larger screen on the 9900), it worked perfectly fine.  Even the touch-screen worked.  I respectfully hope Verizon will reconsider this issue.  There are a number of users on the BB Apps bulletin board expressing the same feelings.  Regards.

by on ‎01-24-2012 08:26 AM

Stephen_TX how did you load it? where did you find the download files?

by Stephen_TX on ‎01-30-2012 03:13 PM

Ferdoud, there is a utility program called BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife (BBSAK), which you can find through a web search.  You load it on your PC.  It lets you back-up your old BB, including the third party apps, and then you can connect your new BB and selectively have BBSAK install the old apps on the new phone.  I'd recommend you back up your new phone first, just in case something goes wrong.  But I've seen BBSAK mentioned in numerous BB blogs by many different users, for many different applications that didn't appear to be supported by BB OS 7 on BlackBerry's own site.

by on ‎02-15-2012 01:14 PM

Stephen, thank you for the tip but I got rid of blackberry and got an IPHONE instead, hope RIM is reading this so they can yell at VZ..lol

by Stephen_TX on ‎02-17-2012 07:04 AM

Ferdoud, thanks for your update.  I really don't know who to "yell at", but it's frustrating.  While my BB 9900 is on AT&T, Verizon's also selling the 9930 (same phone), so you'd think they'd want to support their users.  But I understand (even if if not necessarily agreeing) Malcolm's point about where to put resources.  BlackBerry has done an awful job promoting their newer products, such as the 9900, which is fast, has a touchscreen and physical keyboard, and the other BB features that still make them very useful.  But like you, unless BB can create a compelling case for apps providers, this will be my last one.  Best wishes.

by Stephen_TX on ‎02-27-2012 12:55 PM

As a follow-up to Malcolm's original comments, would Verizon please submit their Android version of the Remote DVR Manager to BlackBerry's AppWorld for the now upgraded BlackBerry Playbook?  Apparently, other than BB having to certify it will work, the PlayBook 2.0 supports Android apps, and many have already been made available.  Thanks.

by earth777 on ‎03-11-2012 02:30 PM

Hello Stephen,

I have been searching for a while for a fix for my Bold OS7.  I have been using the Cod files from the 9700 and as you described above it works but the screen is small and sometimes there are formatting issues.  Any updates?  Also, i have a playbook and interested to learn if you figured a way to side load an remote DVR app on it...

Thanks.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools