Customers With Disabilities
prisaz

Remove VOD adds from channels line up in the guide.

by ‎12-20-2011 04:20 PM - edited ‎12-20-2011 04:41 PM

Favorites or not, Subscribed or not. Putting this marketing trash in your face type stuff in the channel line up is just plain wrong. I see enough of it as the first thing that pops up when I press menu. I agree there is a VOD button on the remote, also a menu for VOD. Get the trash out of our line up! YES I DO FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT THIS TOO. How about filling those spaces with more HD channels. Other providers have passed Verizon on the national channel lineup front. And we have FiOS what a shame.

It is like when you walk into a store and you can't keep a sales agent off your back. That doesn't happen as much now days because many places you can't find help when you want to buy things. Verizon is #1 in marketing I will give them that.

PS.

Even with using the subscribed channels feature in 1.9, the VOD advertisement channels pop up between the subscribed channels in the guide. So if you only want to see your subscribed channels, you still must put up with the marketing. VOD are not subscribed channels, unless you are only going to show us free stuff that we can view.

we have many requests to make new and popular VOD offerings more easily found. this is a mechanism for doing that. we will take back that we need to do some work around visibility settings, which is fair comment. Its probably unrealistic to expect that the program guide will not continue to evolve ove rsome period of time into a mixed navigation/merchandising environment. Your feedback on how to manage that so we are meeting the needs of everyone involved are important to us. For instance, we would not necessarily grok the importance of things like visibilty settings on this sort of content without your feedback, so thanks for surfacing it as an issue that we need to address.
Comments
by on ‎12-20-2011 08:02 PM

I'm with you 100%... Dump the Guerilla marketing"

by on ‎12-21-2011 06:48 AM - last edited on ‎12-21-2011 08:15 AM by Moderator

This Marketing nonsense is the worst. It does NOT entice me in purchasing anything, it makes everything load slower, etc. and does nothing but {word filter avoidance} off everyone. And these dumb VOD channels, even if you exclude them from your favorites, if you type in one of those channel numbers (by accident) it still takes you to the VOD channel. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about, instead of these VOD channels you add BBCA-HD and Cartoon Network HD, that is WHAT WE WANT!!!!!!

by Employee on ‎12-22-2011 10:25 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
we have many requests to make new and popular VOD offerings more easily found. this is a mechanism for doing that. we will take back that we need to do some work around visibility settings, which is fair comment. Its probably unrealistic to expect that the program guide will not continue to evolve ove rsome period of time into a mixed navigation/merchandising environment. Your feedback on how to manage that so we are meeting the needs of everyone involved are important to us. For instance, we would not necessarily grok the importance of things like visibilty settings on this sort of content without your feedback, so thanks for surfacing it as an issue that we need to address.
by ‎12-22-2011 12:35 PM - edited ‎12-22-2011 12:46 PM

I agree. I have pointed this out in the BETA forum some time back. I say that when one goes to VOD, that these could be the first one's to display for easier navigation, however these VOD titles that are in the regular channel linup on both SD and HD channels are just plain wrong and annoying. 

One possible scenerio is to make these titles the first you see when one enters VOD, or just strip down VOD to make it easier to see these Flex View Titles. 

I will say that VOD is very simple to navigate now.  But this is just my 2 Cents. 

P.S.    A couple weeks back when I was browsing channels, I accedently put in ch. 555 instead of 554. My STB lagged for just a few seconds, and what happend was that I "accedenly purchaced" a VOD/Flex View title. Honestly, I was a little mad. Who could blame me, IMHO. I say that if this happend to me, that this could happen to other subscribers.  I am just saying.

by ‎12-22-2011 06:33 PM - edited ‎12-22-2011 07:09 PM

Malcolm

It is most aggravating when you set up to view your subscribed channels and get things your are not subscribed too. I don't like to sound so irate and negative in regards to this, and realize that Favorites is a work around, but in my opinion the VOD being in the subscribed list defeats the whole purpose of the feature. Now these will start showing up in every nook and cranny, popping up between the listings. If a person is smart enough to set the subscribed channels as the default menu, I am sure they can find VOD content.:smileyindifferent:

I read quite a bit of requests here, and most of what I see are requests to make the free VOD easier to find. Not everything you can find as soon as you hit the Menu button, VOD button, or go to VOD through the Menu.

A merchandising environment is not what I want to see when looking in the guide for TV content to view. Can we get a free SPAM blocker for the guide? We set to disable pop ups and now we start getting stuff in our channel listing that is not in our package. If I want merchandising I can look for it or watch QVC.

I am 100% with the other comment, that Verizon doing this now makes me want to absolutely dump any possibility of pay for VOD content. I will not buy it! I used to have the same reaction as many people would when shopping. Sales follow me around in the store, and I will simply say get off my back, and walk out.  Never to purchase anything. If I need help finding something in the store I will ask. Now days with marketing and trying to maintain or increase margins you can never get help in a store. I thought the VOD button was the store, not the guide list.

Does Verizon get a better deal on the VOD content by agreeing to display marketing in the guide? That would make since.

"we have many requests to make new and popular VOD offerings more easily found."

Are these requests from the VOD content providers? 

I have been a BIG fan of the newer hardware, guide, and software, but this rather torques me. Be it only a few here or there.

" Its probably unrealistic to expect that the program guide will not continue to evolve over some period of time into a mixed navigation/merchandising environment." :smileymad: Tivo is looking better again.

by on ‎12-23-2011 07:53 AM
Malcom, I understand, but why aren't these VOD channels grouped together in their own tier (i.e. like channels 970-999)? Why in the world are they dropped willy-nilly amongst all the other channels (like channel 555, etc.). That is pretty poor planning and is why people are upset.
by on ‎12-23-2011 09:16 AM

Ok Bobbo527 has a good point.

If they were in an area say 2000-3000 it would give you plenty of room to market or merchandise anything. Or like sugested, 970-999 but those will probably be need for more premium HD expansion if and when it happens.

by skyblue on ‎12-23-2011 09:29 PM

I subscribe to all of the premium channels.  But it seems that the line up for the "on demand" for the premium channels doesn't change very much any more.  Once in a great while there is a new movie posted.  I thought by paying for these premium channels, I would enjoy a wide variety of movies on demand for "free".  (Not exactly free, when I think about the money per month it costs.)  Now the only thing that changes is the regular menu where it's cluttered with  "for rent" movies.  I refuse to "rent" movies when I pay so much for the premium channels.  What ever happened to the changes in the line-up for the premium channels?  Now, weeks on end, it's the same movies, over and over again!

by adantzler on ‎12-31-2011 08:10 AM

I am not a fan of the update that came through a few weeks ago.  Maybe it is good on newer hardware, but I am dealing with old boxes, and the response is now sluggish and has a lag with every button.  Fast forward and rewind used to respond instantly, but now there is a lag with DVR controls much like the lag that has always been present with VOD.

Speaking of VOD, I hate that you have added it to the guide.  To say that you are doing this for any other reason than sales and trickery is complete nonsense.  It is bad enought that you have added it in the midst of movie channels that I pay an additional $30-40 a month for, but it totally unacceptable that you put pay channels in the middle of free children's channels.  Some of these channels do not even run commercials, and yet you have found to way to exploit the guide to push children to want and attempt to order new movies.  I have a 4 and an 8 year old that read the titles and try to tune to them only to find that the new titles they have seen previews for are not really included in the $225 we are paying per month.

To say this is to make content easier to find is a complete marketing spin.  Simply admit that you are attempting to make more money by putting the pay per view movies in our faces.  Accept and own up to the fact that you are even pushing it into childres faces.  While not quite to the extreme as Camel marketing cigaretts to children, the whole design definitely has a genuine sleazy quality to it.  Make it an option we can turn off as customers.  If this were a free service, you could justify using in-your-face marketing as a revenue stream, but it s very very far from free.

Between an OLD DVR that only holds a small amount of HD programming, increasing and changing packages taht make it difficult to know when and why my bill when change, making special deals that exclude existing customers, and now these changes to the guide, I am seriously considering other options

by mshroeder on ‎01-09-2012 07:31 AM

It's just annoying to be going through the guide and see a movie highlighted in red - the same color as all movies (pay or free) and think - yea that's what I want to watch - only to realize "dang - that's VOD" 

I don't have my subscribed/unsubscribed or favorites or anything like that set up - but it sounds like even if I did - it wouldn't fix this issue.

I think they should either be highlighted in a different color or grouped together (but not in the middle of normal channels)

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools