Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
NYCFiosBoy

Request for Moca 2.0 for the Next Generation of Actiontec Routers

by NYCFiosBoy ‎01-24-2013 10:04 AM - edited ‎01-24-2013 10:19 AM

The latest router for Verizon Fios is the Actiontec MI424WR 3rd Generation Rev. I,

according to the specs, it has only Moca 1.0/1.1 capabilities with "theoretical" 175 Mbps, when actual at home tests have been at 80 mbps. You cannot get GigE (Gigabit) speeds through Rev. I Moca interface, only through "normal" cabling it can be achieved. Moca 2.0 has been released since June 15th, 2010. Right now Verizon is almost 3 years behind in Moca technology. So please make the next Actiontec router have Moca 2.0 capabilities that will more than quadruple our current Moca speeds to 400 Mbit/s and 800 Mbit/s net throughputs throughout our home network, so that you will have more loyal/satisfied customers who like to manage and enhance their own home network.

For those who have no idea what Moca is, it is the ability to set up an additional actiontec router where you havea coaxial wall outlet to pl...

This is a guide for those who want to extend their ethernet/wireless network with the current Moca 1.0/1.1 con...

Thank you.

Thank you so much for your idea. I will be sure to submit your suggestion to the appropriate team.
Comments
by on ‎01-24-2013 10:21 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
Thank you so much for your idea. I will be sure to submit your suggestion to the appropriate team.
by ‎01-28-2013 06:22 PM - edited ‎01-28-2013 06:27 PM

In my neighborhood there are WAY too many 2.4GHz routers, which makes our computers disconnect a lot - Sometimes my laptop disconnects every 5 or 10 minutes, which destroys web sessions/

We need 5GHz Wireless N routers, at the very least!

To confirm that congestion was the problem, I downloaded a program called  inSSIDer which graphs the strength and bandwidth of all the routers in the neighborhood. There are usually at least 8 on the air, and all 3 standard channels usually have at least one router that's almost the same strength as my signal.

Since the 2.4GHz have only 3 standard channels and 10 offset channels (which still get interferrence from the 3 standard channels), there's no way to get away from the strong routers. There are also a bunch of wireless IP cameras in the area on the same frequency, and Cordless phones and baby monitors are pretty close to the 2.4GHz router frequencies also..

Any router upgrade also needs to use spread-spectrum so it can jump around and automatically take advantage of least-crowded channels.And include the 5GHz band, which is much less crowded.

by NYCFiosBoy ‎01-28-2013 06:57 PM - edited ‎01-28-2013 06:57 PM

I also agree with charliebarrett that there needs to be 5GHz Wireless N routers to loosen the already congested wireless channel frequencies. Please see his comments above! I wish I could add this to my idea post, but I cannot edit it anymore.

by JBell on ‎01-29-2013 06:51 AM

Do you know that you can disable the wifi on the Actiontec and use any wireless router you want?  Of course you have to buy the router but at least you can run dual band N.  For under $100 I'd say it's worth the investment if you are paying for one of the higher speed internet options and primarily use wifi over ethernet around the house.

by NYCFiosBoy ‎01-29-2013 09:03 AM - edited ‎01-29-2013 09:05 AM

@JBell I think most people who know how to setup Moca on their ONT know how to use any wireless router with the actiontec. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506 . We're just saying along with Moca 2.0 upgrade on the next generation of routers, it would be nice to have a 5 Ghz feature so that people don't have to purchase an additional router or deal with additional desk clutter. I don't think that its too much to ask for, if they want more Verizon customers to use the dedicated actiontec router and to minimize the complaints on the router(such as NAT table, wireless settings, and etc. with past versions of this router). It definitely wouldn't hurt to add those aforementioned features, and everybody goes home happy.

by JBell on ‎01-30-2013 07:37 AM

I think you're assuming too much from the average FIOS customer.  The few who post technical requests like this obviously realize that there are shortcomings with the current hardware but 99% of folks with FIOS don't know the difference.  As long as their wifi "works" when the install tech leaves they are mostly satisfied.  I just wanted to make sure that charliebarrett was aware that there is an option to have dual band wifi right now instead of waiting months or years for Verizon to update their equipment.  I realize it takes some initiative and cost but the alternative is to sit and wait.

by on ‎01-30-2013 05:45 PM
Thanks JBell & NYCFiosBoy I found out I could add a Wireless N router and ordered one, but I just hesitated to install it because I was afraid it would mess something up, or it wouldn't be as simple as the other posts I found allude that it is. Thanks for the additional links, that kinda encourages me to try it.
by on ‎01-30-2013 05:51 PM
Oh - i also saw a post about that Actiontec device that can connect to the coax going to the set-top boxes to bring hardwired speed into a couple of rooms, so I was also contemplating one of those too.
by Tarrant1701 on ‎02-07-2014 04:02 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but a year later, the suggestion has yet to be implemented. I too would like MoCA 2.0. It is silly that with 1.0/1.1 you have 175 Mbps theoretical throughput, but then they use a 100 Mbps ethernet interface, so essentially it is bottlenecked already.

Plus with FiOS Quantum reaching speeds upwards of 75 Mbps, we may soon have internet bandwidth exceeding 100 Mbps ethernet speeds so things will really be bottlenecked.

But just realized: wouldn't both the ONT and the router need to be upgraded to MoCA 2.0 for this to work (at least on the WAN side)?

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools