• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
tented

Screen saver when pausing live TV & DVR

by tented ‎07-16-2011 06:58 PM - edited ‎07-17-2011 05:24 AM

Millions of plasma and LCD high-definition TVs are sold each year. We all know that there are still problems with burn-in, even though the manufacturers would like us to think otherwise.

I used to have Comcast, and was able to pause while watching live TV or something on DVR, and after a minute a screen saver would come on. This was extremely useful and convenient if the phone rang, for example. I could hit pause, take the call, and even if I talked for 10 minutes, I wouldn't worry about a static image burning into my screen, because the screen saver would come on.

Now that I'm using FIOS, I'm stunned that they don't have a screen saver option for these circumstances. Every DVD player I own has one, and other cable providers also have them.

Verizon - Please add a screen saver to your menu options so that the millions of HDTV owners can hit pause, and not worry about ruining their TV screen because of burn-in.

Thank you!

Also, fellow Verizon customers: Please take a second to vote on this idea so that Verizon sees how many people want it.

Not sure where you all landed on this one... but burn-in on LCD is not a problem. And burn-in on early plasmas was a problem... but takes many, many hours to happens (like leaving a TV on a channels like CNBC for weeks.. and then the bottom ticker burns in). Burn-in on new plasmas is not really a problem... like it used to be.
Comments
by on ‎07-17-2011 10:46 AM

verizon fios already has a screen saver option in the menu. press menu on the remote control go to settings then go to set top box you will see screen saver go to screen saver then press ok to enable or disable screen saver. if this is what you are referring to.

by tented on ‎07-17-2011 01:10 PM

Hi jweiland11,

Yes, I'm aware of that "screen saver" but that's not what I'm talking about. The one you're referring to is only for when the system is on stand-by.

I'm talking about having a screen saver that is activated when pressing pause while watching live TV or something recorded on DVR.

As it is, if you press pause, a screen saver won't come on, even if you stood there all afternoon. Needless to say, this is the worst possible thing to do with a plasma or LCD HDTV. Imagine, for example, what would happen to your computer screen if you didn't use a screen saver.

With Comcast, if you want to make a quick trip to the kitchen, or take a phone call, etc., you could hit pause, and after about a minute a screen saver would come on, therefore eliminating all concerns about burn-in.

HDTVs can cost thousands of dollars, and every computer, DVD player, Blu-Ray player, etc. I own has a screen saver in order to help protect these expensive TVs -- except for FIOS. Quite frankly, I was shocked when I realized they didn't have one.

by Silver Contributor III on ‎07-17-2011 02:03 PM

I don't think you can pause TV long enough to cause issue. Not sure what the limit is (memory says maybe an hour).

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎07-17-2011 02:38 PM

I have an almost 6 year old LCD HD TV and I frequently pause for periods up to maybe 10-15 minutes and I have experienced no burn-in at all. My understanding is that all or nearly all LCD TVs are not susceptible to burn-in, and most new Plasmas really aren't either. I guess maybe the low-end sets might be affected, but I really don't think burn-in is an issue these days.

I have no interest in a screen saver when I pause, although I certainly would not object if Verizon implemented it. Maybe as an option?

by tented on ‎07-19-2011 05:47 AM

@Justin:

Yes, of course as an option, but I can't imagine who wouldn't use it.

by LeftyGuitar on ‎07-19-2011 09:10 AM

My 7232 box won't stay paused long enough to be an issue.  Plus my plasma has a 'pixel orbiter', so these burn-ins are a thing of the past.  and my LED HDTV isn't susceptible to burn-in or are there any other LCD/LEDs that are.

by on ‎07-21-2011 12:42 PM

LCD's really don't get burn-in, and if they do, it should clear nearly instantly. Plasmas are another story, and mine (a year-old 50" LG with built in internet access, so not an ancient or a bargain bin unit) definitely does suffer. It generally clears within an hour or two, but even WATCHING (let alone pausing) some content will leave some ghosting on the screen -- news tickers, for instance.

This seems like a good idea, and one which I can't see much reason AGAINST.

by tented on ‎07-25-2011 03:14 PM

Completely agree, Kenboy.

Yes, things like news tickers are definite problem with plasma TVs. If anyone who owns a plasma watches CNN, MSNBC, etc. for a few hours, you'll notice this. ESPN is another problem.

I like your ending, too: This seems like a good idea, and one which I can't see much reason AGAINST.

Perfectly put.

by barcafan on ‎07-26-2011 10:11 AM

The other thing that would be nice is if we could actually leave the thing on pause for more than 10-15 minutes.  Right now if you leave it on pause too long it'll automatically restart playback.  Very annoying.

by Employee on ‎07-29-2011 04:38 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
Not sure where you all landed on this one... but burn-in on LCD is not a problem. And burn-in on early plasmas was a problem... but takes many, many hours to happens (like leaving a TV on a channels like CNBC for weeks.. and then the bottom ticker burns in). Burn-in on new plasmas is not really a problem... like it used to be.
Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools