Customers With Disabilities
PajamaGuy

Several wish items from converted DirecTV user

by PajamaGuy on ‎11-13-2011 05:54 AM

FiOS Wish List

Disclaimer: Some “Wish Lists” appear to be “**bleep**-lists” – If this looks like one, please forgive me.  I think the Verizon-FiOS team is a great bunch of folks.  Everyone that I’ve interacted with has been professional, extremely courteous, friendly, and customer-focused.  I’ve had ZERO problems with the services and the small glitches I’ve experienced were either my own fault, or were fixed by tech support in a timely manner.

I was with DirecTV for 16 years, the last 5 or so as a “Cutting-Edge” beta-tester.  (I’m also a Technical Beta-tester for Microsoft)

I’m in Hudson, MASS, and I’ve now been with FiOS for 2 months, and I guess I’m spoiled because I’ve been on 1.9 since starting, and I have 2 CISCO HD-DVR’s, 1-HD-STB, and the triple-play bundle.

I had 3 HD-DVRs (DirecTV), 6 Mbps DSL (AT&T), Phone (AT&T), and was paying about $200/mo.  I’m now paying about $135 (with fees & taxes).

Some things that I’ve either had and used with DirecTV – or wished I’d had…

Guide:

1. Under “Global Guide Settings”  (settings that “stick”)
    1. Enable hiding of SD channels when there is a corresponding HD channel.
    2. Enable display of only “Subscribed” channels

i.      (and/or) differentiate display of un-subscribed channels by color or shading

1. Show “program/series to be recorded” icon if ANY DVR on the network is set to record
  2. Allow sorting/display by channel NAME
  3. Allow filtering of display by Category and Sub-category
    1. E.g. Guide->Filter->Sports->Auto

DVR:

1. Enable DLB (Dual-Live-Buffers) – Both receivers start recording on 90-minute segments (buffers) and the user can pause/trick-play and “flip” back & forth between buffers.  If you change one of the buffers’ channels the buffer restarts its 90 min loop.
    So, you can be watching the Pats/Jets in one buffer, and the Daytona 500 in the other.  You hit one button to switch back & forth.  When the Pats score you hit pause then flip to the race and watch 20 min of it – then hit pause and flip back to watch the Pats kick the extra point.  And so on.
  2. When I select something to record, enable me to also select to which DVR I want it recorded.
  3. If I enable it, allow me to delete any recording from anywhere.
  4. Enable me to perform ANY DVR action/activity from anywhere. (Capability switched on/off and passworded)
  5. Allow me to set Start/Stop extensions from EVERY record operation screen.  Especially on the initial record operation.

General GUI:

1. Please make the confirmation dialog popups consistent.  The confirmation selection should ALWAYS require the user to change the default selection.  And the selections should always be in the same listed order.  E.g.
    1. Cancel [default]
    2. YES (Delete)
    3. Enable or fix Screen Saver.  I was just watching F1 racing, hit RECORD, then PAUSE, and took my grandson home.  Got back 20 min later and paused screen was still on.

PJ
CISCO CHS 435HDC (2)
1.9 Build:12.39

thanks for the great feedback. we'll make sure our developers see these suggestions.
Comments
by on ‎11-13-2011 06:33 AM

Both Dish and DirecTV and even Comcast have some very nice, useful and downright basic DVR features that FiOS could use.  TiVo goes without saying on how to make a DVR.  Your points on consistency are very true.  Verizon needs to have better QC on their own end and not put the blame on testers as if we created it.  No we made it better but there are so many places for improvement.  Lets get started!

by bwoodhi1 on ‎11-13-2011 09:47 PM

Well said. I also made the switch from DirecTV and miss a few features. Some you mentioned, but a couple more are:

1) Ability to pause tv (recorded or live) when the Menu is active,

2) Consistent search interface for tv and extras (YouTube, for example).

by Silver Contributor III on ‎11-14-2011 06:28 PM

Couple of comments: (these are all 1.9 features)

1) Only show subscribed channels is an option 

2) I believe with MR DVR, you can pick which DVR to record to.

3) Same for ability to delete from anywhere

by PajamaGuy on ‎11-15-2011 03:18 AM

CRob -

1. Great!  Please tell me how to show only subscribed channels from ALL guides. (I know I can select it from within a GUIDE->Options, but I'm looking for a global, all-the-time setting.

2. Please tell me how, I have 1.9 (12.39) and I can't find how to select-DVR-to-Record-To.

3. Delete=YES, I was referring to modifying scheduled recordings.

PJ
CISCO CHS 435HDC (2)
1.9 Build:12.39

by Employee on ‎11-15-2011 12:06 PM
Status changed to: Under Review
thanks for the great feedback. we'll make sure our developers see these suggestions.
by Apfel on ‎11-19-2011 09:16 AM
My main complaint is spending 30 to 45 minutes setting up a favorites channel list only to see it go away whenever the STB is reset. Oddly enough, there is a note before you reset along the lines of "NONE of your settings will change" I have only signed up less then a week ago, so I am not sure if my STB is the cause or the software.
by DXM on ‎12-28-2011 03:54 PM

With IMG 1.9 you should be able to watch programing from any of your DVR's from any STB/DVR. I cannot do this and this is a feature I can do with DirecTV. From what I'm reading I should be able to do this with my Cisco 1.9 DVR/STB's. If there is a setting I need to set, someone please tell me. Thanks

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools