Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
glyde23

Skype & other interactive widgets

by glyde23 on ‎10-05-2010 05:22 AM

I noticed that many new TVs are coming out with widgets similar to what FIOS has to offer.  For example, Panasonic has a Skype widget.

Since the FIOS box already has a USB input, why not add Skype to the Widgets lineup?  The customer could then plug in their camera into the USB input in order to get video.

Furthermore, perhaps allowing the customers to play games and interact more with other FIOS customers across the country.

For clarity I am rolling with an "accepted" status for video conferencing, games and interact with other FiOS customers... the partners are not clear for us at the moment.. but the functions certainly are clear enough
Comments
by on ‎10-05-2010 04:57 PM

Only problem is that Verizon did not purchase boxes with USB - it is a cost extra option from Motorola.  Only use for the USB connectors is as a charger (the +5V is connected).

by Employee on ‎10-06-2010 12:30 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by ProphetBeal on ‎10-07-2010 11:51 AM

I think this is a good idea, however the only way I see them being able to implement this effectively is by offering supplementary peripherals you'd buy from Verizon.

by Employee on ‎10-12-2010 03:35 AM
Status changed to: Under Review
A response to this request is going to take another 1-2 weeks... so please hang in there... while we get an answer to your idea.
by on ‎10-21-2010 04:45 AM

just to further elaborate on this idea, Samsung has a new line of TVs with thousands of apps (some even available for purchase).  the apps range from educational to entertainment, etc...

imagine this for a FIOS commerical:

young kids sitting at home during a snow storm using skype and playing checkers/scrabble/chess via FIOS TV with grandma who is in sunny Florida.

additionally, this will help consumers save money by NOT buying a new TV with the apps, as the same (or similar) apps will be available on the FIOS box...

time is short on pulling the trigger on this one.....

by Employee on ‎10-26-2010 03:39 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
For clarity I am rolling with an "accepted" status for video conferencing, games and interact with other FiOS customers... the partners are not clear for us at the moment.. but the functions certainly are clear enough
by on ‎10-26-2010 05:27 AM

that's great Joe, thanks... can't wait to see these new features (but for some reason, I'm anticipating a roll-out of this in early 2012)....

by faltopar on ‎09-30-2012 06:47 AM

While I use Skype extensively to communicate with others in the US and the world, why can't FIOS build an app like Skype so I can communicate directly through my FIOS service using my laptop/tablet/phone? More specifically, when my FIOS phone rings, why can't I just answer the phone with my computer?

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools