Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
0 Votes
questioning

This is another example of poor communication from a customer service standpoint.

by ‎04-01-2012 06:47 PM - edited ‎04-01-2012 09:16 PM

Was this redundant and insulting message right on top of my Firebox browser page really necessary? 

"You are using an unsupported browser that verizon.com does not support. For a better experience, please use a supported browser."   (Like I don't know what "unsupported" means?  Duh...I think that's insulting and so then I had to be bothered with figuring out how to get rid of this nonsense.) 

Now here is the breakdown of how I just spend 20 minutes figuring out how to resolve this issue (which is now record time for me):  At first I was thinking, "Oh yes, I remember those previous conversations with Verizon customer service reps, many of whom would tell me that Verizon only supports Internet Explorer" so I really thought at first that this was Verizon's way of reinforcing that same message...like "shame on me".  How dare I use Firefox instead?  lol

I tried upgrading my existing Firefox browser which didn't do anything and I tried to see if under "page info" I could get rid of that one image...no such luck.

But then when I read further on the link "support browser", it explained that Verizon *does* support Firefox going from Version 7 onward.   So I went to Control Panels where I can add/remove programs, uninstalled and re-installed Firefox by downloading versrion 11 of Firefox from scratch (as opposed to updating my existing browser) and that resolved the problem.

Now seriously, what is "an unsupported browser that verizon.com does not support" supposed to mean?  I don't mean any disrespect but that's laughable using the term "support" twice in the same sentence like that and that really led me to believe that Firefox is no good.  That's dumb.  Why couldn't it just say in the first place that my browser may need to be upgraded instead of telling me...or rather, assuming, that my browser is "unsupported" just because it's not Internet Explorer?  Saying that I need an upgrade is completely different from saying that my browser itself is not supported and anyone with a lick of common sense can understand that even without an IT background! 

What really irked me was that this obnoxious and redundant message which didn't even correlate with the intended message was going to stay put right on top of my browser screen until I did the upgrade.  This wasn't even in clear and coherent English and couldn't it just stay on the screen temporarily and allow the customer to close it out so the customer can move on?  An upgrade is important but it's really making a mountain out of molehill and because of an unclear message, I had to waste more time going back and forth trying to figure out what this means. 

Thank you for your suggestions- I'll pass them along to the appropriate team within Verizon!

Comments
by FiOS_FiOS on ‎04-01-2012 09:45 PM

The message "you are using an unsupported browser" does not mean that Verizon is not going to help you(depending on the issue), does not want you to use firefox or shame on you for not using Internet explorer. It just means that the the current version of the browser (in this case firefox) does not meet the requirements currently being used by the website developers for www.verizon.com and therefore is unsupported(incompatible). Now why does Verizon not just change it to "your browser needs and upgrade" instead; well one of the reasons is because upgrading the browser will not always work. Nowadays we have tablets, Ipads, nooks, kindles, etc... All these mobile devices have different operating systems and a lot of times websites do not look right on these devices and that is because they have an unsupported(incompatible) browser. Sometimes however website developers have a mobile version of the site so that it can be viewed on these devices without a problem, and since technology is pretty much changing every day; I doubt that Verizon wants to spend time/money creating a site to be compatible to each device and then months from now those devices will now be obsolete. It sounds like in this case you took the word "unsupported" as personal, however these is referring to a technical term which could be replaced for the word incompatible.  

by ‎04-02-2012 03:23 AM - edited ‎04-02-2012 05:31 PM

No, I did not take "unsupported" as personal.  My point is that it's confusing.  I thought it was telling me that Firefox is no good, period.  And the point is that  "An unsupported browser that verizon.com does not support" is the worst sentence in the English language I have come across lately and whoever wrote that needs to think of how the average customer would read and interpret this.  It makes no sense the way it's worded.  Am I the only who sees that redundancy in that sentence?  Never was I taught in grade school to phrase a sentence like that.  And a sentence like that implies that your browser itself is no good anymore.  How is anyone supposed to infer from that that their browser just needs to be upgraded?  Many of us customers, like myself, do not have an IT background and using a technical term that we're not going to know only confuses the problem further.  This is language that clearly, only an IT professional can be reasonably expected to understand.  We're customers and we can't be expected to know everything.     

"It just means that the the current version of the browser (in this case firefox) does not meet the requirements currently being used by the website developers for www.verizon.com and therefore is unsupported(incompatible)."  So then why doesn't it just say that?  Mentioning the version of the browser makes it clearer and that's just my point.  Saying that in the first place would make it more understandable for the customer.  Isn't that worth it?  Don't you think the average user would understand that a lot better and have less of a hassle in resolving this?  The way it's worded now is very unclear and you would have to be an IT professional to understand that and how that translates.  And don't you think investing some time to clear this up would cut back on the number of complaints and confusion and the need for more calls to customer service?  I'm busy and I only have so much time in my day to deal with any of this.  But no...why should any of these big name corporations invest time and money to improve their customer service?  They're making so much profit at the lowest possible cost and that's why they're so cheap.

What it is so wrong with the concept of investing time and money to save headaches over the long run and to save more customers from cancelling Fios over the long run?  There is no thought given about the long term and I think that's unfortunate.  I understand the point of cutting costs to be more efficient but that can't necessarily be done with everything.       

And there is no reason for a message like that to stay permanently affixed to the top of your screen until you upgrade your browser.  It pushes everything on the website further down and it's annoying. 

Customer service definitely comes last now-a-days, not just with Verizon but just in general and  I think it stinks.  Unless you have the ability and the time to persist with resolving these various issues and the wherewithall to be resourceful like I am, it's no wonder why people get lost with this and very often just don't have the time to work on this, while paying all of this money just to have the service. 

by ‎04-02-2012 09:19 AM - edited ‎04-02-2012 09:24 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you for your suggestions- I'll pass them along to the appropriate team within Verizon!

by ‎04-04-2012 03:45 AM - edited ‎04-04-2012 02:44 PM

Time will tell.  All the "thank yous" and apologies won't mean anything unless something is actually done about these annoying issues and on going customer service problems.

And even just in general, as stated in another post here, Verizon seems to have a lot of ignorant people working who either don't care or just don't understand customers, I don't know which but it's disgusting. 

by George65 on ‎04-05-2012 07:34 AM

I just wanted to say I had Verizon FIOS installed two months ago and I have had really good service. I called in for the package deal and it was up and running in three days.  I've called technical support a couple times and always got good help. Thank you Verizon.  It is funny the word spell checker on this page does not recognize the word FIOS.

by cwordwoman on ‎04-08-2012 10:26 PM

I have two problems.  The first is staying logged in to email for 2 weeks at a time.  I log in and check the "stay logged in for 2 weeks" feature, but it does not work.  I have to log in again each time I leave the page.  It is so annoying.  The second problem is that I often have trouble deleting email.  I get a message requesting me to re-select the messages and try deleting again.  That is so frustrating and time-consuming.  Need help as soon as possible with these issues.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools