• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
0 Votes
Yenco

Use solid-state drives (SSD) in DVR

by on ‎10-07-2010 06:25 PM

As capacities grow larger and prices come down, it would be nice to see Verizon putting SSDs into their DVR set top boxes. SSDs are less susceptible to physical shock, quieter, have lower access time and latency, and save energy.

Much, much later... a 500GB - 2TB SSD is very, very expensive compared to its spinning disk counterparts. I get your point and at some juncture that move may make sense. My concern with SSD is that they have a finite number of writes and then turn into read only devices... Wonder if they would last 3-4 years in use as DVR storage with all the writing to storage that happens during live buffering and recording.
Comments
by Employee on ‎10-08-2010 07:55 AM
Status changed to: Maybe Later
Much, much later... a 500GB - 2TB SSD is very, very expensive compared to its spinning disk counterparts. I get your point and at some juncture that move may make sense. My concern with SSD is that they have a finite number of writes and then turn into read only devices... Wonder if they would last 3-4 years in use as DVR storage with all the writing to storage that happens during live buffering and recording.
Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools