Customers With Disabilities
questioning

Verizon Internet Security Suite has got to go! Here are some suggestions.

by ‎04-07-2012 12:22 AM - edited ‎04-07-2012 06:36 PM

VISS is a disservice to customers and here is why: I know it's the virus program on which Verizon gets the lowest bid but it wreaked plenty of havoc on my computer and all of my technology at home is as up to date as it's going to get and I just want to give an overview of the computer issues I had to resolve because of that.  VISS powered by McAfee left all of these viruses on my computer undetected.   This was discovered last September when I hired a computer tech out of the phone book to come to my house.  Over time, I didn't see any blazingly fast Internet speed and my computer just got slower and slowe until it got to such a point where I couldn't get onto the Internet anymore.  The tech person suggested cancelling VISS and replacing it with 2 free viruses programs (avast and malwarebytes) which I did.  But then once the viruses were cleaned up, my Internet went right into action.

And still, not all of my computer issues were resolved at that point because this tech person could not tell me why my disk defragmentation program was aborting itself due to inconsistencies in the hard drive.  It was hard to find the time to do this on my own but just got through figuring out and getting help from another member here on how to run check disk to repair these problems.  I'm bringing this up because this happened right at the time when my computer had come to a halt because of these viruses and I suspect that the viruses resulted in these residual system errors which I didn't have before.  I had been able to successfully defragment my hard drive up until the time my Internet came to a halt. However, it could be that because I had never done this before, my computer was long overdue for this.

I know I have posted about this before in the forums but the whole thing got me thinking about some suggestions that I think would really put Verizon further ahead of its cable competitors.  I'm not a business expert but to me this would make a little more sense.  In place of VISS:
- Verizon could provide some links for free virus programs like the two that I mentioned.

- Verizon could also offer customers a coupon for purchasing their own Norton virus software.  That would be a very sensible incentive to offer.  My family uses Norton, not the kind that comes as a package with a cable company, it works well for them.

Keep in mind too that McAfee itself is very outdated. 

Isn't better to be honest instead of offering something cheap that only causes problems over the long run?

Comments
by on ‎04-07-2012 05:55 AM

McAfee is the absolute worst product.  It amazes me anyone would use it.

by on ‎04-07-2012 06:18 AM

I agree!  And guess what?  I was using it because it was an additional service provided by Verizon and it seemed like a nice convenience at the time as opposed to purchasing the Norton software upgrade every year.  As you can see, I really learned my lesson.  Please don't stamp my forehead "gullible".  LOL!!...But if not for that experience, I wouldn't have learned as much as I know now about taking better care of my PC so everything happens for a reason.  And now I use free virus programs that work extremely well so now that's saving me money.

Live and learn. 

by on ‎04-07-2012 01:10 PM

Peter Norton has not written any software for years that I know of. I believe Symantec just took the name and ran with it. I would rather use McAfee, which says very little for both products. Free Avast, or Microsoft Security Essentials would be better than both. I used to use AVG, but it took some time before they develoved any 64bit compatible code or signed drivers that would run under 64bit Windows XP. So the switch to Avast was the fix. I strip Norton off of every new PC I get my hands on the first chance I get. I have repetedly found infections on Norton protected machines. Many of which could not be fixed with their product.:smileyfrustrated:

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎04-07-2012 02:25 PM

I really, really have to second what nascar, questioning, and prisaz say. I use the free Avast anti-virus and the Windows Firewall on several of my PCs, never an infection. I have Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and the Windows Firewall on another, again, no infections. And when my Avast free licenses expire the next time (do so every year, an irritant) I plan to move each Avast PC to MSE.

I see no reason to spend money and experience the aggrivation of using VISS or really any paid anti-virus software, you can do just as well with MSE or Avast. IMHO of course....

by on ‎04-07-2012 06:34 PM

Yep, I have Avast as well.  I also use Malwarebytes in conjunction with that.

by on ‎04-09-2012 01:39 PM

I use Microsoft Security Essentials  on my own PCs and it has always preformed well, and does not use much memory to do its job!  And I have to agree that McAfee is the worse.  I do technical support and it always seems that  McAfee misses a lot and uses a lot of system memory to accomplish not much.

by on ‎04-09-2012 02:25 PM

That's too bad.  I find Avast to be very reliable.  It picks up on infected files and viruses including the rootkit very quickly and it's always running in the background and updating itself.  Malwarebytes is good too.  The only thing is that I have to open malwarebytes "manually" to update the virus definitions and run it on my own.

I'll have to keep Microsoft Security Essentials in mind too in case my computer crashes and I need to replace it.

It was a hard learned lesson finding out that I can accomplish the same virus maintenance and cleanup without spending any money.  I never would have known that before.

by Moderator on ‎06-21-2012 06:17 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools