Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
1133club

Weird'o @ the front door!

by 1133club on ‎03-19-2012 07:06 AM

All kinds of weirdo's are knocking on our door these days, some legitimate, many others just checking to see if anyone is home. If no answer they may find it easy to enter and burglarize. If you answer they use various identities like from the water company, the fire department there to inspect some fictitious non-existent problem. They use various reasons to distract you, or to convince you to go into another room to test a water faucet, light fixture, smoke alarm, or in our case to lure us outside and around back with some sort of property line clarification for a fence a neighbor was supposed to be installing. We unknowingly went out back but quickly got wise that the lure was to get us away from the front door so his accomplice could could enter our house while we were distracted. It didn't work this time, thankfully.

I would like a FIOS channel with big loud barking dogs where I, and others alone, seniors, etc. could switch to when anyone knocks on our front door. We could leave the channel on until we crack the door open a bit to identify who the person is. This idea would certainly scare the hell out of anyone knocking and provide a good sense of security for the home owner. I would put an extra speaker close to the door just to amplify the effect.  

Let's do it Verizon!

Comments
by Gold Contributor VII on ‎03-19-2012 07:34 AM

While I like the idea...

--------

#1 Always ask for ID.

a) If they refuse, don't let them in. Period - end of story.

b) If they show an ID upon request. verify that ID. Can't verify the ID, refuse to the let them in.

1133club wrote:

Or in our case to lure us outside and around back with some sort of property line clarification for a fence a neighbor was supposed to be installing. We unknowingly went out back but quickly got wise that the lure was to get us away from the front door so his accomplice could could enter our house while we were distracted.

To fix that issue: Why not close and lock the door behind you?

To lock and unlock the door behind you, you must carry a key.

No key with you at the time when you open the door from the inside??

#1 Tell the person: I will be there soon, hang on.

#2 Close and lock door.

#3 Get the key to that door.

** Note: Ahead of time, know where that key is.**

#4 Unlock and open the door.

#5 Go through the opening.

#6 Close and lock the door behind you.

^^^

by on ‎03-19-2012 01:58 PM

We always look out the peep hole or a window and if we do not recognize the person, we do not answer the door.  It works for us!

by on ‎03-21-2012 09:28 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by on ‎03-21-2012 09:29 AM

I'll be happy to bubble this idea up to the FiOS TV team.

by on ‎04-01-2012 05:22 AM

Just don't answer the door unless it's someone that you're expecting.  That's what I do and that's really the simplest.

by Danbo9 on ‎04-30-2012 11:34 AM

They sell devices that do just that.  This may be safer.  I'd think if everyone had the same verizon dog barking channel it would only be time before some untrustworthy people would realize what it sounded like.  I think you'd be better off with a device that wasn't being used by so many people.

by on ‎07-30-2013 10:13 AM

If you have an outdoor camera setup with motion detect, have it set to activate a barking dog (or attack cat) alarm which would be attached to a lighting modual.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools