• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
fredbock

WiFi Hotspots for Mac users

by fredbock on ‎05-01-2011 04:43 AM

I'm finding it very troubling that after two years Verizon has not added support for Mac users to access the WiFi.  Please add support ASAP.

Comments
by Dnex on ‎05-14-2011 08:07 AM - last edited on ‎05-14-2011 08:32 AM by Moderator

Yes. There's is no way that it is taking them 18-24 months to produce a Mac solution. This is just vaporware. We recently extended for 24 months but I'm thinking about canceling. They pushed this service as a benefit but didn't specify that it was PC only. Other carriers simply require a login. And, of course, there doesn't seem to be iOS support. So, Verizon, how about Mac, iOS, Droid, and Linux support? How about truth in advertising when you've claimed since 2009 to be working on a solution?

by tgraner on ‎05-15-2011 09:59 AM

I have been disappointed in their MAC OS support as well. Today I had a problem with the router resetting it's WEP key to the router ID, dropping our wifi connections. I figured out the problem when I was on hold. I stayed online to ask why this might of happened. The support person tried to put it on my MAC OS software. I had to reexplain the issue was the WEP key changed on Verizon's site, not on my MAC. BTW, the WEP key was the same on two MACbooks and two iPhones and an iPod Touch . . .the only this changing was the field in the Verizon setup site under basic wireless setting, "WEP" key. At any rate once the tech listened and understood it was on their end he had no answer, just to see if it happens again and let them know and perhaps they would give me a new router at that time.

I asked why there was not much support for the MAC and he tried to tell me it was because there were so many more PCs. Sigh. O-L-D argument. Look at a Consumer Report, Verizon. You will see MACs are the best listed in their surveys AND just look at the business reports to see that MACs are selling quite well out there. NOT to mention the amount of iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches that are being bought.

At the end of it all they sent me an email with the Verizon Home Agent to follow up. I downloaded a MAC OS version and when I opened it up, it gave me a dialog box that I needed to be connected to Fios internet for it to work. I was. On the ethernet line. After that even the enter button didn't work. I did send them feedback on that as well.

I hope Verizon thinks about this. Perhaps someone on their end looks at comments like this. It keeps me looking around at other carriers. Especially on the heel of problems like this. As well as causing me to establish a registration for this forup to voice this issue.

Tom

by Admin Emeritus on ‎05-25-2011 09:55 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by on ‎10-16-2011 03:29 PM

yes there needs to be mac support doesnt silverlight allow all computers to run programs regardless of operating system netflix does it

by on ‎10-19-2011 06:42 AM

yes there needs to be mac support

by ephraimephraim on ‎12-30-2011 01:00 PM

Can we get more of a response than "acknowledged"? Verizon claims to have been working on this for years now with nothing to show for it. "Working on it" seems more like "thinking about it".

by ywlke on ‎01-23-2012 01:41 PM

I'm not sure when this happened or if it's always been true, but you can use Verizon Wi-Fi with other devices now. See http://wyang0.blogspot.com/2012/01/verizon-wi-fi-f​or-all-devices-mac-linux.html

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools