Customers With Disabilities
prisaz

Would it be possible to offer the latest wireless N router with an upgrade fee or purchase?

by on ‎12-17-2011 09:20 AM - last edited on ‎12-17-2011 03:24 PM by Moderator

I know many have wanted wireless N for their home network use, but Verizon continues the policy that they only support wireless at the WAN speed provided to the customer. Even then it is not guaranteed do to so many factors. A path to the latest gigabit and wireless N router would be nice for customers that don't have 150/35. Even if no one chooses to pay, it would provide an option.

Would it be possible for Verizon to offer the latest wireless N router with an upgrade fee? To perhaps split the cost or cover the entire cost? This could perhaps cause more issues than it is worth, but would also allow customers that do not have 150/35, to get the latest router available. Many customers have just added hardware to the Actiontec to get faster wireless speeds, but many have just continued to complain, and would probably complain more if you offered it with a fee. It would provide options for those who want it. I thought I will throw this out here, but will also post it as an idea if it has already not been done. It may be a duplicate idea, but I do not believe the idea has been posted with an offer to pay.:smileywink:

Comments
by Silver Contributor III on ‎12-17-2011 12:12 PM

Rather than buying a verizon N router, you can just buy your own (probably a lot cheaper than Verzion would see it for) and hook it up. Disable FIOS wireless. Have your youter act a repeater so all of the netowrking is done in FIOS router.

by Moderator on ‎12-17-2011 03:33 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by ‎12-17-2011 07:03 PM - edited ‎12-18-2011 10:13 AM

This is very true that it is related to the other idea. Almost if not a duplicate. THIS DOES SAY FOR A FEE. Give people the option to pay for it.

As suggested above many have added their own hardware, but this is unsupported. So I was thinking of a supported configuration that some might want. Many users have continuously asked for this or how to get around the existing limits or drawbacks of the Actiontec. I was thinking of another option for those that are not as network Savoy. Plug and play that is supported.

by freddonaldson1 on ‎12-28-2011 09:58 AM

Why would you charge for a 35/35 service and then be chintzy about N wireless. It's bad marketing and customer service. Have you hired someone from Comlast to make such decisions?

by on ‎12-28-2011 10:48 AM

It was just an idea. Comcast rents it to you monthly or you have your chouce to go buy your own last I looked.

If you want the latest and greatest don't expect to get it for nothing. I know you have 35/35 many feel that you should get that or faster on a wireless connection. After all the wireleg G is rated for 54 right? Or is that 108? Half duplex or full duplex? So I guess if you want the fastest possible speeds you would need a wire N router.

by Mistaya on ‎04-24-2012 09:15 PM

I just came from Comcast and you could else rent theirs or buy your own. Then we came over to her and I could not use my new N router. I had a bundle package with Comcast too but they only supplied the modem that handled the phone , internet, and tv so we could use any router we choose. I was surprised when the Fios installer came down and handed me my router saying I don't know who this belongs to. When I said it is mine and why was it disconnected that is when I found out Fios used a combo modem/router. Now it makes it hard to find out who is not working and I have no choice in the router I use. I had an N and now been downgraded to b/g. How sad. I am finding a lot of things out about Fios that I didn't know about when I got them. Now I am starting to wish I at least kept Comcast internet. Know I know we had a right as a neighborhood to be so angry at them tearing up our yards to put the cable in. Mine is still having issues where they dug a big hole and that was 3 years ago.

by MVP dslr595148 MVP on ‎04-26-2012 12:44 PM

You can use your own router.

I point you to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

by MVP dslr595148 MVP on ‎05-01-2012 12:13 PM

Ok, also you can oder online from Verizon at

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

by monkaquinas on ‎07-19-2012 08:33 AM

Just ordered the router after I called & spoke to a tech who confirmed that I can use it after I activate it.  Also said that my account qualified for Quantum service and the router would be free. My current 25/25 is fine so I opted for buying the router. 

I'll try to post a follow up when & if I have it setup.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools