Customers With Disabilities
mrbunny

allow the guide to be in ascending or descending order

by mrbunny on ‎08-06-2011 06:47 AM

The guide is in ascending order from top to bottom.

With the guide displayed "channel up" moves to lower numbered channels. But when the guide is NOT displayed "channel up" moves to a higher numbered channel.

How about you give us the option of reversing the order, listing the lower numbered channels at the bottom of the screen?

This would then make the "channel up or down" behavior the same with or without the guide displayed. Consistent behavioe will make the STB easier to use.

My preference is to work on just letting you pick channels numbers for networks... if you want a network to be channel 1 or channel 555... that would be your pick.
Comments
by on ‎08-07-2011 03:52 PM

Probably the best suggestion / enhancement I've ever read here.

by mrbunny on ‎08-08-2011 03:06 PM

Bless you.

Need more support here, this seems like it would be really easy to do and completely without controversy.

I am honestly amazed that nobody else thought of this.

by Employee on ‎09-12-2011 04:36 AM
Status changed to: Maybe Later
My preference is to work on just letting you pick channels numbers for networks... if you want a network to be channel 1 or channel 555... that would be your pick.
by BritGeek ‎12-26-2011 10:54 AM - edited ‎12-26-2011 11:11 AM

This is a great idea - one that Dish Network implemented on their DVR many years ago.  Hopefully they don't have a patent on that!

Joe, you suggested allowing the user to assign their own numbers to channels.  That would be nice but I don't see how it fixes the issue that MrBunny was talking about.  If the re-assigned numbers are still listed in the guide with the low numbers at the top of the screen then up/down buttons will still behave inconsistently.

Imagine I want to go from channel 5 to channel 6.  Obviously, I would hit the channel UP button once.  If I want to make the same channel change when I'm in the guide, I have to hit the DOWN arrow button; hitting the UP arrow or channel UP button would take me to a lower numbered channel instead of a higher numbered channel.

Because of this reversal of button polarity depending on whether or not I'm in the guide I have never become totally fluent in pressing the correct buttons - I often hit a down button when I needed to hit an up button or vice versa.  This is my biggest peeve about the FIOS DVR after more than 5 years as a customer, and during my time as a Dish customer this was the single best change they made to their DVR, in my opinion.

As MrBunny suggested, having the option in the Settings menu to reverse the guide so that the higher channel numbers appear at the top of the screen would correct this up/down inconsistency.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools