• BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS

Displaying articles for: 01-02-2011 - 01-08-2011

0 Votes
regina3meows

Caller ID

by regina3meows on ‎01-08-2011 09:46 PM

I would love it if caller id was displayed on my pc screen as well as on the TV.

Thanks prisaz!
Discover

Accepting Discover Card

by Discover on ‎01-08-2011 02:04 PM

Over the past several years I have recommended that the Discover Card be accepted as a method of payment in the Auto Pay System.  Verizon is the only company I interact with that does not have Discover as an option.  When will this be available?  Signed, Frustrated

We actually do accept Discover, but only in limited areas such as One Bill kiosks and Walled Garden. Our billing product manager has told me that they continually evaluate the payment options that we offer and will take your suggestion into consideration.

For example, my preferences are the same no matter what TV I am watching. So, it would be nice if each person in our house had their own list of favorites that can be used on each STB. I imagine I would press a key sequence whenever I pick up the remote to get all my setting on the STB (e.g., D, 1, 1 for me and D, 1, 2 for my wife). With individual settings, I am sure you could add more features to take advantage of this beyond favorites.

You can do this with a FIOS Remote app on you mobile phone... automatically changes many preferences on the TV based on what you set in the smart phone app
0 Votes
megabyte29

1 Setting up email sub accounts ridiculous amount of data to enter

by megabyte29 on ‎01-08-2011 08:38 AM - last edited on ‎01-08-2011 09:48 AM by Moderator

Hey I have a suggestion why not make the email sub accounts easier to setup.  I use sub accounts all the time entering new ones and deleting old ones for various junk mail accounts.  Why do you have to enter a real name, age, sex and have to enter a password that's not too easy to guess and include a number?  I mean age why do you need that?  If your thinking of controlling minors they are just going to include an age that makes them 21 anyway so your not fooling anyone.  I think your missing the point of having extra email accounts they are meant for extra mail or overflow.  You should take away everything except name on account, email account name and allow for any length of password with no pre conditions.  Of all the media providers your sub email account setup is the hardest to use.  At least give the customer the option of ease of use and no extra garbage or massive security so for those of us who just want a junk mail account can set on up in less than a minute with no errors.  You should also give an example of the smtp and mail settings for windows mail so we don't have to look them up or call for tech support everytime we forget the settings.  You could just put the example at the side of the setup sheet.

Verizon requires only 5 pieces of information to set up an email account. Other email applications require more information.
fttp4me

Ringback tones on FiOS Digital Voice

by fttp4me on ‎01-07-2011 10:16 PM - last edited on ‎01-13-2011 12:20 PM by Admin Emeritus

Ringback tones on FiOS Digital Voice.

Hey they're popular on cellphones, why not the landline as well? 

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll consider for a future enhancement.
fttp4me

Caller ID on TV enhancements

by fttp4me on ‎01-07-2011 10:12 PM

I enjoy the caller id on tv and think some enhancements would make it even more useful.

1) Allow me to answer the call with the push of a button on the remote.  Sometimes when I am watching a movie On Demand in my theater room, it takes a while to get to the phone.  It would be nice if I could press a button on the remote that will prevent the call from being transferred to voicemail if I can't get to the phone in time.  Maybe the caller could even hear a message stating that they stay on the line, their call will be answered momentarily.

2) Add the ability to have calls made to my Verizon Wireless cellphone displayed on the on screen caller id.  Sometimes I leave the phone on vibrate or in another room and so I miss the call. It would be nice if calls that came in to my cellphone could also be displayed on the TV, with an indicator showing that the call is on the cellphone and not the home phone.

First one is a bit tougher... but interesting... second one is a neat idea and will put as "accepted". You would need to put an app on your phone to make that work...
fttp4me

FlexView upgrades

by fttp4me on ‎01-07-2011 09:46 PM

I think FlexView is a good idea but has a few drawbacks.

1) HD.  I have not seen any FlexView titles in HD.  I don't want to watch movies in SD on my HDTV.

2) Allow rentals to be upgraded to purchases.  Many times I may rent a movie either because I'm not sure that I will like it or I might not watch it more than once.  It would be nice if I could rent a FlexView movie at the cheaper rental price and then if I decide after watching the movie that I would like to purchase it, I can purchase it and get the rental price credited toward the purchase price.  So if for example a movie costs 9.99 to buy and 2.99 to rent, if I rent it first and then decide to buy it, I would only pay the remaining 7.00 difference.

Couldn't agree more... both suggestions have been in progress... you should start to see more HD and shortly there will be "rent to own" titles showing up in the offer...

I'd like to have a single voicemail system for both my home phone and my cellphone.  One access # to dial to receive messages from either phone.  The system could specify whether the message was left on home phone or wireless phone.

It would also be nice if the menu prompts would be the same for both voice mail systems.  For example, on Verizon landline phone voicemail, to save a message press 2, to delete 3...On Verizon Wireless, deleting a message is 7 and saving a message is 9. Why can't they both be the same?  It would also be nice if as another poster suggested the voicemail access # for FiOS Digital Voice were simpler.  Why can't it be *86 just like it is with cellphones?  Also glad to hear that a voicemail on TV feature is being considered.

No current plans to combine the voice mail systems for FDV and VzW. You can set up your FDV vcml to send email notifications when new messages arrive, include the messages as .wav files, and access those from your cell phone if you have that capability. See the user guide at www.verizon.com/fiosvoice for setup instructions. The menu prompts are different because we currently use different systems for each...that could change in the future. *86 is currently being tested for FDV from home and will be available very soon. Of course, you'll still have to dial the FDV toll-free number when away from home. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
time2switch

Go Green

by time2switch on ‎01-07-2011 08:25 PM

Eliminate the need for me to needlessly have 5 boxes using power, generating heat and impacting carbon footprint. My TV's have built in tuners and through your FIOS internet service, I would now expect that I could order on demand services through my internet enabled TV.

For those that don't have internet enable TVs, you can still rent them extra equipment....IF they want it.

Lets be real honest...I have extra boxes needlessly consuming power in order for Verizon to charge me more money. Same goes for Comcast.

First we introduced more boxes that are more energy friendly... second at CES we demonstrated Internet enabled TV's connected directly to FiOS TV service...
gfabianp

Media Access

by gfabianp on ‎01-07-2011 02:15 PM

I think Verizon should allow access to other media on one's home network without the needing the Media Manager software installed.

I have a NAS on my network and I'm able to stream content to my the via my PS3. It would be nice if I could stream content via my Verizon box without having to stream it through a computer that's running Media Manager software.

Yes. The set top boxes need tech called DLNA and the ability to decode some additional content types... both are in progress. Right with you on this one...
guppy516

Watch MRDVR recordings on another DVR

by guppy516 on ‎01-07-2011 11:13 AM

When we had our FIOS service installed the other day, the technician told us that we would be able to view the recordings from the MRDVR control box on all the other boxes in the apartment, including a separate DVR.  Turns out, however,  that the multi-room feed only transfers to non-DVR set top boxes.  Would be nice if the second DVR could receive the multi-room feed as well (even if there can only be one DVR serving as the "control" unit).  Given that it might be some time until more than 2 things can be recorded at once on a single DVR, having more than one DVR is nice -- but by having more than one DVR, you're essentially forced to give up any benefit from the multi-room feature.  Is there any hardware hurdle to sending the multi-room signal to another DVR?  I would think it wouldn't be that much different from any other box.

soofredriver

missing info on the home page

by soofredriver on ‎01-06-2011 05:36 PM - last edited on ‎01-13-2011 12:08 PM by Admin Emeritus

I don't understand why the daily stock report is not posted on the front page of the web site. It's not even shoen on the business page. What gives?

jk38m

Provide ability to Inactivate a set top box when not needed (e.g. guest room; child off at college)

by jk38m on ‎01-06-2011 05:22 PM - last edited on ‎01-08-2011 03:27 PM by Moderator

Verizon should offer the ability to inactivate a set-top box when not in use. Many of us have guest rooms that sit empty much of the time, but for which we would like to have TV when people come to visit.  When I had DirecTV they would let me 'inactivate' a box when not in use, and re-activate when my guests came, thereby saving me from having to pay for service I wasn't using.  I wish Verizon would offer this.  What do others think?  

bevross

Wired ethernet out from set-top/DVR box

by on ‎01-06-2011 09:20 AM

It'd be great if I could get an Internet connection directly from the set-top box (DVR) -- to connect Internet ready devices such as TVs, Blu-Ray players, XBoxes, etc., & not have to rely on wireless or running an ethernet cable from the modem (much further away).   There's already an ethernet port on the DVR -- just activate it!  (One competitor -- AT&T U-Verse -- has already activated this port).  Cross fingers -- maybe in image 1.9??

Acting as a router would put a resource drain on the boxes that would mess up actual TV viewing... you can get a Moca bridge that is pretty inexpensive and accomplishes this same thing... coax to ethernet... get's your devices on the home network
VSM

Change remote controls from Infrared to FM

by VSM on ‎01-06-2011 09:13 AM
One of my frustrating problems with Fios is the remote control; the device has to be pointed right at the box if not it will not work. I switched from Dish Network where the remotes worked with FM signals and I could use it from one room to the other, thru walls, not directly pointed at the box with no problem whatsoever. I think it is time for the best cable company in the world to go back to basics and make everybody happy. Please let me know what you think about the idea.<br>Victor Sacramento Monteiro<br><br>
We are using something better than RF... which would be wifi... grab a smart phone or something like an ipod touch... and you are ready to rock and roll... RF is so 1990's... live in the now :smileyhappy:
cmconnolly

Order the Blu-Ray/DVD While Watching the Movie/etc.

by cmconnolly on ‎01-06-2011 06:58 AM - last edited on ‎01-13-2011 12:16 PM by Admin Emeritus

Hello,

It would be great to be able to click "Info" while watching a program/movie/etc and be able to click "Order this on Blu-Ray/DVD". The charge would then show up on your Verizon billing statement for the items ordered. Just like when you order an On Demand movie. A few days later, the item is at your door. Verizon could even have Amazon fulfillment (FBA) handle all the pulling/packing/shipping or even partner up with Amazon. 

Definitely something we discuss... and the capability of buying things from the TV screen is in progress (that is buying in context - watch a movie and click to buy the disc)... what gets sold through that capability should be interesting... I can totally expect some channels to see physical media... guess we'll see what innovations come.
0 Votes

Verizon customer service is abysmal! How about not ripping us off? Is that a good idea? Or how about actually providing the service we are paying for, instead of the  slow half speed crap we are getting. Good idea? We are paying for 1.5 to 3, and getting .74 at best! Is it a good idea if we just quit Verizon, never to return, ever? Ripping off your customers is not a good idea, we will spend our money with your competetors, and tell everyone we know to do the same. A really good idea would be to listen to our problem, and then fix it! Instead you give us the run around and waste our time. Bad idea!

Sorry to hear about your service issues...if you can be more specific as to what you need, I can get someone to help you.

In the meantime, if it helps, here's the direct link to Residential Support: http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/

Here are links with all means to contact Verizon: http://www22.verizon.com/content/ContactUs/. The Chat link will load after the page is fully loaded.

Finally, the Verizon Troubleshooter has a number of resources that allow you to try and fix your issue, if that's the way you'd like to go: verizon.com/repair.

You can also post any questions in the forums here, and a peer will try to help.
RSmith2

Block Calls by Caller ID Name

by RSmith2 on ‎01-05-2011 02:57 PM

I would REALLY like to be able to block calls by the Caller ID name instead of just by number. The telemarketer and telebeggar scum have gotten smart and call from a variety of numbers to get around the simple number blocking.

We appreciate your frustration. They sometimes even change their name associated with different numbers! Blocking by name is not technically feasible. Sorry we can't accommodate your request.
stapletonfamily

Add better power management

by stapletonfamily on ‎01-05-2011 12:38 PM

Over six years ago, my Dish TV DVR had a power-off and a disk spin-down feature. When a software upgrade was ready for download, or a scheduled recording was about to start, the unit would power up again. My desktop PC performs the same function with a PCI HD card - if in hibernate mode, the PC will wake to record, then go back into hibernate again. Neither of these capabilities are new, so I don't understand why my much-newer FiOS DVR spins away 24 hours a day - even when I "power off" the STB, I get the screen saver bouncing on my TV, which says it's not really powered down at all. If this is a limitation of the STB firmware, perhaps you need to apply the collective bargaining weight of Verizon to the STB manufacturer (Motorola).

We continue to work on greener set tops... hardware and software.
jel0511

Lights on the TV remote

by jel0511 on ‎01-05-2011 11:49 AM

I don't know if just our remotes that have this problem but I think the number buttons should light up so when it's dark you can see what you're doing. As it is now only the upper part of the remote lights up. There have been many times watching in bed with the lights off and it's very difficult to try and change the channels. I know there is the + and - button for scrolling through but that can take a while. I would just like to be able to press the number I want without having to turn a lamp on.

We don't have immediate plans for introduce a new remote control, but will keep this feedback in mind
jimmybanjo

Music Choice

by jimmybanjo on ‎01-05-2011 09:12 AM

One of the main reasons I changed to Fios was for the music channel variety.

In a consumer subscription environment, user input or online voting should drive programming instead of having trends dictated by Clear Channel or some similar public access marketing monster.

A few days after the switch you dropped my Bluegrass channel. If you can run three jazz, multiple religious formats and 10 hip-hop gangster streams, surely you can accommodate eclectic but growing Americana and minority communities without sacrificing profit. Disappointed subscriber

This is where you vote. You can also find me on Twitter (@FiOSTV)... I am the exec in charge of the product... and not a professional blogger / social network type person...
prisaz

Fix access to the internet services tools.

by on ‎01-04-2011 05:12 PM

These items used to be easily foung. Now it seems next to imposible. Please make access to the Internet account tools easier to find.

Much of verizon.net stuff has been retired. Access to site builder is now through my.verizon.com with many of the other tools. This needs to be fixed. How I can get to it now, I must jump through hoops.

Link to Verizon Central Portal for internet services on verizon.com There are issues.

https://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzcp_mat_Primary

My Verizon Services

Internet

Internet Overview

Left side bar select plan details.

View Verizon Internet account on the right side of page.

My Web Space left side bar.

Start using site builder.

This really stinks. Anyone know of a shortcut? If I find it I will post. But there are things that are not right since the verizon.net domain started getting messed with. First thing you get when you login to my.verizon.com is the shopping page and then you must search for everything unless all you want is to spend more money.

http://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pws

Onenonymous

Selectable font size on screen

by Onenonymous on ‎01-04-2011 05:03 PM

The font size in the on-screen guide and popups is relatively HUGE so the amount of text able to be shown is limited. I've got a good size HD TV in my living room, and would love to take advantage of that to get more text on screen. How about giving us an option for font size so we can maybe get more text on screen? Thanks!

But this is pretty tough to do on the TV... so it might take a couple releases.... Mostly I am all for features that let you customize the experience... and frees us from picking things (i.e. preferences) for you.
0 Votes
Jaygo71

Connection

by Jaygo71 on ‎01-04-2011 03:24 PM

How about offering Verizon FIOS in Mckinney, TX.  It is available 5 miles down the highway in Allen, TX and Plano TX.  Mckinney is a suburb of Dallas, and is the capital of Collin County that Plano and Allen is in.  Mckinney was the fastest growing city in 2009 and #5 on Money Magazine's 100 best places to live in 2010.  Fairview is a town between Mckinney and Allen that is growing astronomically. 

So why were we left out in Mckinney??????????   I'd move to Allen to get FIOS because I work there too, but my home is worth $20,000 less than I owe because of the crappy real-estate market.   

In 2010 we added seven figure homes to the network and will add more in 2011... but if FiOS isn't already in your city there is a chance that our additional build won't hit there in 2011.
matcarl

Email Tools Should all be on The First Log-In Page

by ‎01-04-2011 03:24 PM - edited ‎01-04-2011 03:26 PM

After I log onto the email website, there are a few settings on the left side under My Settings. However, there are more settings like setting up spam that are found elsewhere. They should all be together on that first page. If I want to set up spam settings I have to do the following: After logging in and getting to the email message, I have to click on the top tab that says Account, then I have to scroll down and find Account Tools and click on that. I bet no one even knows about those other settings. Why are they so hard to find and not with the other General Settings?

We have placed the majority of the email settings within Message Center Settings module. User can set filters, vacation reply, signatures, SPAMDetector, email account name, Forwarding options and much more…
JohnCF

VOD TV Shows

by on ‎01-04-2011 12:37 PM

PLEASE CARRY ENTIRE SEASONS of the current year of at least the top 25 shows on TV on VOD, not just THE EVENT.  If you did, we wouldn't need 1TB internal drives and 5TB of external drives to record shows we save until the summer to watch.  I can't watch tv 8 hours a day but I'd like to see more than I have time for.  So,  I watch 2 or 3 first run shows during the year and record 6 or 7 more to watch later when tv is dead air during the summer months. The last two episodes is not cutting it.

EVEN BETTER:  Let us pick the shows we want YOU to have all the current season's episodes for on VOD - I would pay an extra fee just for that.  No crashed hard drives, no eSata gear all over the place, just guaranteed available episodes of what I want to watch.  You can even sell my preferences to whomever, just make THAT happen.

Thanks!

I completely agree... some content providers put entire series up while others don't... but I will make sure to pass along your idea, because I dig it (want it for myself)... 2011 should see really nice movement toward this goal. And kudos for not wanting a DVR and instead a really sweet and large VOD library... mostly I agree that's way better than connecting drives and scheduling stuff.
Sworl

Disable TV Pop-ups

by Sworl on ‎01-04-2011 10:27 AM

Please don't add annoying pop-ups to my tv picture - or at the very least give me the option to disable them.  I don't care that CNN is available on Twitter (I already follow them) and if I want to go to Twitter, I will.  I don't need to be reminded, and I don't want to have to proactively cancel the pop-up.

Thank you.

To be fair this is about to launch... getting update in the system now...

Sworl

Independent Buffers in DVR

by Sworl on ‎01-04-2011 07:38 AM

You should separate access to the tuners/buffers in the DVR.  On my old Comcast box, I could surf channels on tuner A, while keeping the buffer on tuner B intact.  This is useful if you want to look around while the show you're watching is in commercial.

Unless I'm missing something, on the FiOS box I can only buffer last two channels viewed.

Not even sure how to implement that one... but will fire into the developers, because I get the problem you are trying to solve
Sworl

Reduce Price of HD-DVR rental

by Sworl on ‎01-04-2011 07:25 AM - last edited on ‎01-04-2011 10:50 AM by Admin Emeritus

Not sure why Verizon charges $20/month to rent an HD DVR, when Comcast charges half that for essentially the same box with more features.  (Most of the ideas coming out of this forum were in Comcast DVRs 5 years ago.)

You guys should reduce the rental price on the DVR's.  It might cut down on the complaints, and the perception out there that Verizon FiOS is too expensive.

FiOS TV DVR is $15 per month... Comcast is $15 per month..? Not sure what you are referencing.
Sworl

Hide Titles/Descriptions by Rating

by Sworl on ‎01-04-2011 07:19 AM

I realize I can hide descriptions of what are considered 'Adult" titles, but having two categories: (Adult and non-Adult) is not enough.  I mean, I'd like to keep my kids from reading the lurid descriptions of the porn movies, but would still like to see when "Damages" is coming on F/X (without having to temporarily disable parental controls to do so.)

I'd like to be able to choose to hide titles and descriptions by a specific MPAA rating.

There seems to always be a more granular set of content filters that we can implement... and we are committed to continued progress in making those tools available to your family. In the next version of software you can block content by time of day as an example... amongst other content filtering enhancements.
DaveK2

Improved multi-factor authentication

by DaveK2 on ‎01-04-2011 07:10 AM

The My Verizon page just started using multi-factor authentication for access to the Account tab.  While that is a good idea in principle, the implementation is a pain - the PIN callback to the DSL phone line means that the user cannot perform any account actions while away from home.  (Allowing the user to specify a different callback number would defeat the authentication).

Please add an option to request multiple one-time-use PINs ("for another PIN, press 1") so that the user can create a pad of, for example, 10 PINs that could be used while working away from home.  The user would scratch each PIN off the list as it is used, and refill the list when back at home.

The PIN you are referring to is not a method of multi-factor authentication. All telephone providers are required to protect a customer’s proprietary network information from unauthorized access. When accessing your account information online, the PIN is used as a one-time tool to help us validate a user’s identity and bring the account from “limited” access to “full” access. Full access customers can see details about home phone service and bill details.

This PIN does expire if it is not successfully entered within a certain period of time.

Recently, with the migration of customers to a single user ID on the new MyVerizon 2.0, some customers may have had to go through this process again, depending on what mix of Verizon.com or Verizon.net accounts they previously had.

A PIN should not be necessary to log-in and we do not have plans to add multifactor authentication to MyVerizon at this time. If you have previously received and successfully activated full access with a PIN on your account and are still prompted to request and enter a PIN, please go to http://www22.verizon.com/content/ContactUs/ and get in touch with us.
Sworl

Idea Rewards

by Sworl on ‎01-04-2011 06:36 AM

I love how you guys are getting all this R&D support for free.  Not only are you not paying for our ideas, but (most of us) are actually paying YOU!  GENIUS!

I say you reward people who submit ideas you'll implement with some period of free service.

Certainly a valid comment. For information on the Idea Exchange policies, please see http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Terms-of-Service-and-User/Verizon-Community-Terms-of-Service-9-28-10/td... there is an Idea Exchange section.

jonesbeach

Easier phone number to check voicemail

by jonesbeach on ‎01-04-2011 05:55 AM

Having to dial 1-888-2FIOSVM everytime I want to check my voicemail can be a real drag.  Why not set up a simpler number?  We just switched from Vonage and on their network all we had to dial to access our voicemail was *123.  On our newer phones I've programmed the voicemail number into speed dial, but we have some older phones that don't have any memory features. 

Thanks,

Jonesbeach

You can now dial *86 from your home telephone line to reach your FiOS Digital Voice mailbox. Ask and you shall receive :smileyhappy:
mrl0409

VOD For kids programming

by mrl0409 on ‎01-03-2011 06:29 AM

I am a new FIOS subscriber and my biggest gripe is that after the VOD ends, there is a partial screen with previews/trailers for other programs/movies.  I put on an age appropriate VOD for my toddler, and after Blue's Clues ends, for example, my child is subjected to inappropriate language (i.e. promo for Wall Street 2 includes "hell"), scary graphics (dead body as seen in Sherlock Holmes promo), gunfire, fiery blasts, etc. etc.  Programming I would never chose for my children - not to mention the volume kicks up and scares the daylights out of him.  There should be a way that you only air age appropriate material based on which VOD category you view. 

When you are right... you're right...

I see more and more programming for foreign languages on FIOS.  Up to now, only DISH carried The Israeli Network.  But now Comcast has the network.  There are other Israeli possibilities out there.

Given some of the other foreign language channels available, a hebrew / Israeli channel is in line with what is available.  Dish and Comcast charge $19.99 per month, and Fios could do the same. 

I know many people who have Dish solely because of the Israeli Network, and I have often contemplated changing to Dish.  With Comcast now having the channel, it makes more and more sense for Verizon to do so as well.

0 Votes
DRT115

DVR Ideas

by DRT115 on ‎01-02-2011 05:59 PM

I am a current mutil room DVR user and I have found a few suggestions I would like to share:

1. is how about setting on the DVR box itself a option to just set a reminder and not always have to record a show. Some times I would like to watch a show but don't need to record it.

2. is when a sporting event runs late and now all my shows are cut short. I have to wait a few days for them to be on demand to watch them. Is there a way to update the programming guide when this happens or a way to add time to a current program that is being recorded?

3. How about adding more time on the hard drive for us to record more shows. 60 hours is not enough.

Idea #1 and #3 is in progress and will be available as part of IMG 1.9 // #2 is pretty tough to do... and not in progress, but I pick status based on 2 out of 3 ideas already being coded.
0 Votes

Add a method to delay the start of a DVR recording that has previously been scheduled. When shows start late due to football games for example, the recordings that have previously scheduled start and there is no ability to start a recording later than the guide states. The ability to start early is available. why not start late also? Who wants to start early? The is a real long existing problem. Maybe you could take a look at fixing it.

Endless tools are needed to precisely deal with all the things that happen live...
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!
Twitter
Interesting Places

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements