• BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements

Displaying articles for: 03-11-2012 - 03-17-2012

RalphTomaccio

How important can it be?

by RalphTomaccio on ‎03-17-2012 02:37 PM

I received a booklet from Verizon in the mail today. To the right of my mailing address it says "In an effort to keep our customers updated about FIOS TV, we'd like to share some important documents with you for review". Well, that seems nice. Then I turn it over and look at the title on the other side and it says "Fios TV - 2011 Annual Customer Notification". What? How is something dated 2011 when it is now the middle of March 2012 keeping me updated about important information? It's already over a year old!

C'mon Verizon, how about either a little proof reading or getting this important stuff out in a timely matter? Please?

andre460

Sports News

by andre460 on ‎03-16-2012 01:30 PM - last edited on ‎03-16-2012 05:20 PM by Moderator

It would be great to have Tennis added in the sports news on the home page.

[Copying from "Verizon.net Email" forum]

I use my home computer to, among other things, host a mailing-list for a fan-club of a contemporary Russian poet. The total list of subscribers is about 40 people and messages are, on average, rare.

However, when a discussion picks up, the number of e-mails can briefly spike easily exceeding Verizon's "you must be spamming" threshold. Imagine: one person asks a question and two others respond. Both the question and the responses get sent to the list, so that's 3x40=120 e-mails. If the discussion gets any longer, the e-mail account gets suspended for several days for exceeding the quota...

I understand, why Verizon rate-limits the outgoing e-mail sending and don't object to it in principle. However, the current implementation has a major flaw. When the threshold is exceeded, instead of blocking all subsequent messages with a permanent error (5xx in SMTP-speak), the server ought to issue a temporary failure (4xx in SMTP-speak).

This would block any spam-bots just as effectively, but allow legitimate messages to be properly queued by the sender's computers for resending. The 5xx code signals a permanent error so instead of being queued, the innocent message is suddenly bounced.

A friend of mine is an RCN-subscriber and we know, that RCN implements rate-limiting exactly this way: if you are sending "too much", your messages will start being temporarily rejected for a while.

This is another suggestion about this webpage.

I've had a lot of trouble posting anything to it,  I discovered that you now are prevented from posting a message unless you submit a category (see the area on the right).

Thanks to ornahp, a Moderator who posted about this. 

My suggestion is to include this instruction prominently right where the poster will see it, maybe above the posting window.  I'll bet there are people who have tried to post ideas and gave up, especially after seeing the line about how "a few functions were impacted, including the ability to post new ideas to the Idea Exchange."

This is a suggestion about this webpage.

Maybe everyone but me knew this already, but I just discovered that when I go to the Ideas page, I'm automatically in the "Hot Ideas" section.  I think that it's nice to be able to start on that page as an option, but I don't think that it should be the default.  How are people going to see all the "New Ideas" if they aren't taken to that section first?

BillW

Streaming Fox News / Fox Business on my iPhone

by on ‎03-13-2012 12:13 PM

Fox News came out with a new app that allows you to stram fox News Channel and Fox Business Network, similar to ESPN's Watch ESPN app.  Currently Verizon is not one of the TV service providers on this app.  Could you add this service so that FiOS subscribers who also happen to have an iPhone (on the VZW network) could stream these two Fox networks whe way we can stream the ESPN networks?

Great news folks! FiOS TV subscribers can now watch Fox News and Fox Business from My Verizon, the Fox News site, or via Fox News and Fox Business apps for iOS and Android. You asked and Verizon delivered.

Add a Verizon Media Manager Board to the community. Since Flex View, and much of the Media features are being managed by the software, it seems only fitting to add a board for it. This would bring up more discussions, and perhaps promote its use. I know I have tried it, used it and ran into one issue or another. I believe there should be a place to highlight the product and support it. It is a PC software product and has postings buried here or there on the FiOS TV Technical Assistance board or elsewhere.

0 Votes

Why can't we have more than a weeks worth of guide data? All be it, it might be bad data with FYI behind the scenes, but when you see a commercial that says starting next Tuesday x/x/x, it would be nice to go and schedule the show.

as noted, we already provide 14 days of data.
Canton_Bulldog

DVR/DVD

by Canton_Bulldog on ‎03-12-2012 02:01 PM

I would like to see Verizon make available  a DVR/DVD combination. I don't mind losing TV programming but I hate losing movies that I have recorded on my DVD. I have now lost two DVR's along with all the movies I had recorded on them. If a DVD option were available I could burn Disc for my movie library.

Our service model is focussed on electronic delivery and it is doubtful we will add this feature as a result.
AngryGuy

DVR Internet Interface Multiple Delete

by AngryGuy on ‎03-12-2012 08:59 AM

Many times we end up recording the same thing in two different rooms.  My wife has a habit of 'forgetting" that maybe I recorded something on the good tv in the living room.  I make sure I record it in the bedroom also.  I understand I can now restore recent deletes but it's easier in my house to just watch it on the other tv.

Many times I forget to delete the duplicate recordings until I'm at work or out somewhere.  What I'd love is check boxes for multiple deletes.  Also I get irritated when I don't want to delete all of something in a series subdirectory.  A check box option in the series subdirectories would be awesome.  Right now you have to wait for the delete, hit OK and then open the series directory again and start over. If you have several to delete but want to leave the latest one it can get tedious.

I know I really shouldn't be complaining about a service that has saved me from missing things more than once but I do think those options would get me in less trouble at work while messing around with my DVR. Just my two cents, keep the change:smileyhappy:

good input, thanks
screen1a

Remote Scheduling

by screen1a on ‎03-12-2012 08:46 AM - last edited on ‎03-12-2012 03:40 PM by Moderator

I have switched to Fios and previously used Tivo. That allowed me to create a wish list,. You need that. It also did not limit me to only two weeks of schedule, which meant that if a program was going to be aired four, five or even six weeks from now, I could schedule it. For anyone who travels and might not have access to the internet or a smartphone - or frankly doesn't want to remember to have to do this while away and otherwise busy - that was a great thing. It can't be difficult and I think you need to do this.

By the way, you might want this to use one of your already existing categories, but nothing fits.

A wishlist and the ability to set recordings up well in advance are both popular requests we are looking in to.
CrankyOldGuy

Longer display times for caller-id on TV

by CrankyOldGuy ‎03-11-2012 05:52 PM - edited ‎03-11-2012 06:07 PM

The display times available for caller-id on TV are too short. They shouldn't be timed at all. If a message is important enough for me to request that it be displayed, it should stay available to me until I acknowledge I've read it or another similar message comes in. I know untimed messages of this type can be done because of the unrequested, untimed messages that are displayed on various channels such as "Press FIOS TV to Shop". If it is impossible to have an untimed message, please consider that the person might not be watching the tv that particular second and that the TV is the largest most easily seen from a distance callerid display in the house. Therefore message times should give someone time to walk into the room after hearing the phone ring. Timed messages in general always seem to fade away immediately after I notice them but before I've read them. Why does some programmer somewhere think that they have any idea how long a message should be displayed to me when they have absolutely no idea what else is going on when they display it? Yeah, I know, I'm cranky.

we'll see if we can put a setting in for that

Verizon cuts of the side of the image and then zooms in on the center of the 16:9 SD feed that comes from most broadcasters. I believe this doesn't make much sense and the local SD channels should be letterboxed. ESPN in SD, for example, shows the full 16:9 frame with black bars on the top and bottom while viewing on a 4:3 SD TV. This way you see the complete picture that was intended to be seen. I did the math, and 25% of the screen is filled with the black in the case of letterboxing a 16:9 feed for a 4:3 screen. That isn't too bad in my opinion: you get to see more of the frame while 75% of the screen is still filled with colors. On a 4:3 screen it is barely noticeable.  

Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!
Twitter
Interesting Places

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements