Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
celticpride

how about an hd dvr that gives you over 100 hours recording time of HD?

by on ‎09-01-2010 09:49 AM

the dvrs we have now just dont cut it! ,we need more recording space,and i dont mean 45 hours,the 20 hours we get now is pathetic when trying to record a lot of HD programs!

Comments
by on ‎09-01-2010 05:24 PM

The eSATA expansion will be active to allow you to add a TB External drive. That will give you well over 100 hours if you add it to the internal drive. Many want more storage, but not everyone will require as much. So this feature will allow you to get what you need.

"DVR storage expansion (eSATA)"

What is next.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FiOS-TV-IMG-1-8-Release-Notes/ba-p/234356

by Employee Emeritus on ‎09-03-2010 11:51 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by Admin Emeritus on ‎10-05-2010 08:30 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Employee on ‎10-06-2010 10:00 AM
Status changed to: In Progress
With the release of IMG 1.9 you will be able to purchase an external hard drive (eSATA) - size of your choosing - to get additional capacity.
by prettieroses on ‎10-07-2010 12:11 PM

NOt sure how indemand this would be, but supporting a NAS device would be nice too...although I would presume that it would have to be connected via GB for performance reasons.

by res13b5ji ‎11-03-2010 09:04 AM - edited ‎11-03-2010 09:05 AM

I have been hearing that these "Features" were "coming soon" for two years,  either offer it or tell me no so I can just switch to ATT and get a real DVR.   A HD-DVR with 160gb hard drive is a joke,  take a poll and it will be 100% clear that fios users HATE teeny tiny hard drives in a DVR!!!

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎11-03-2010 04:35 PM

To Verizon:

What's the hold up?

Are you promising something you can't deliver?

by ‎11-03-2010 05:14 PM - edited ‎11-03-2010 05:17 PM

Verizon will deliver. Count the number of customers that want more space on a DVR. Then figure how many upgrades this will take for customers that have the older 6216 or 6416 boxes. MANY. When 1.9 comes out an external drive can be used. Then the only boxes needing replacement to add this feature will be the 6216 or 6416 series. It is just going to take time.

To Quote Joe.

"With the release of IMG 1.9 you will be able to purchase an external hard drive (eSATA) - size of your choosing - to get additional capacity."

He is not lying. But the 6200 and 6400 boxes do not have eSATA, so you will need to change for more space.

I would rather wait a few more months for something that is ready and works, then to get it pushed out and have it fail. That is not acceptable to Verizon or its customers.

If you are really desperate for more space, you could use a TiVO or Moxi with a cablecard as many have. No need to switch providers. I switched to a TiVO 14 months ago, and plan on switching back as soon as the features can be delivered.

by Employee on ‎11-29-2010 04:10 AM

prettieroses

I definitely wanted to use NAS over eSATA... but unfortunately we could find affordable units that could keep up with the demand of high resolution video... just too much sustained bandwidth needed (not burst - sustained).

But I still want to keep digging into NAS approach.

Last... yes more DVR storage is coming.  In the form of new units with 500GB drives (originally we were planning 320GB, but many of your responses pushed that bigger) and eSATA up to 1-2 TB's.  Using multi-room DVR with external storage you could easily have hundreds of hours of storage.

The software necessary to enable this increased storage is about to exit the lab... and should be in your home before you know it.

Thanks,

Joe

Director - FiOS TV products 

by TMOSteel on ‎11-30-2010 04:48 PM

500GB is still kind of small considering today's standards, no? 

2 -3 years ago, maybe, but today?  1TB retail is about $46 as per Google, and I'm sure in bulk for Verizon would be even cheaper.  You guys should try and future proof any new products as much as you can. 

You know rolling out 500GB DVR's is only going to have people complain in no short amount of time once they fill that up!  And I don't see eSATA as a solution: Cablevision tried that rout, and it was much easier to hack their box (actually not a hack, just had to replace the internal drive with a larger capacity) that purchase an external one that you have to LEAVE ON ALL THE TIME. 

I'm betting that's the case with using one (eSATA) with the FIOS box?  It has to be left powered on all the time? 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for increased DVR storage, but having come from the world of Tivo and then ReplayTV back in the day, I know just how quickly that space can get used up. 

FIOS rules in my book, and I think its great that you guys actually look into this stuff as well as sharing it with the rest of us. 

GOD knows Cablevision never did that!

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools