• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
maolsenspam

wi-fi connect for Mac

by maolsenspam on ‎10-18-2011 11:58 AM

Ok, it's not an entirely new idea since Verizon has been saying that they are working on making Verizon wi-fi available for the Mac for over 2 years.  In the May/June issue (of 2010!) of the Verizon Spotlight they even listed it as being here!  Now all they will ever say is that they are working on it.  Supposedly they have have been for 2 years... It doesn't take 2 years to provide that access to wi-fi. How many man-hours per year has Verizon devoted to this?  I would think that they have not been working on it at all, but rather have been using that statement as false advertising to keep us Mac users here.  The Mac user base is growing and isn't "insignificant" anymore.  It's only a matter of time before I and others will bail due to failed promises and head over to competition that takes Mac users serious.

So, this is the NEW idea I'm posting: Actually work on providing wi-fi access to Mac users rather than 2 years of promises.  At the very least, give us a ballpark date of when we can expect it.

Comments
by globogeek on ‎11-01-2011 07:45 AM
Jeeze! Even Comcast supports Macintosh. Sometimes the only way to get anyone at the cable companies to listen to you, is to tell them that you're tired of waiting and you're headed for the competition. It's about time Verizon actually supported their Mac users. And how about WiFi access for IPad/IPhone users too?
by dchan17 on ‎11-22-2011 07:18 PM

I'm getting very annoy with Verizon and their empty promises..

Get WIFI for the Macs...

by ywlke on ‎01-23-2012 01:41 PM

I'm not sure when this happened or if it's always been true, but you can use Verizon Wi-Fi with other devices now. See http://wyang0.blogspot.com/2012/01/verizon-wi-fi-f​or-all-devices-mac-linux.html

by silentlotus on ‎03-30-2012 12:45 PM - last edited on ‎03-30-2012 02:15 PM by Moderator

if Mac users are not getting this service we should be offered a discount from Verizon

for a service we are forced to pay for but is not being provided

there are a million and one programmers out there and you mean to tell me Verizon

can not fix this 

Verizon are you listening ?

fix this problem !

by arls544 on ‎04-29-2013 03:48 AM

No idea what the OP is talking about about...

I've had FiOS for almost two years now and have exclusively used Mac/Apple computers and devices over WiFi without so much as a hiccup. 

by maolsenspam on ‎04-29-2013 06:47 AM

aris544, this is not the wifi you set up in home.  We are talking about the service that provides wifi access in many public places such as airports, etc. when you have a qualifying internet plan.  I believe they have partnered with Boingo.  The method Verizon uses to connect and verify is a PC-only application.  It's not that the wifi connection itself is PC-only, but the method of verifying the verizon eligibility and creating the account is.

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎04-29-2013 12:19 PM

aris544, this is not the wifi you set up in home.  We are talking about the service that provides wifi access in many public places such as airports, etc. when you have a qualifying internet plan.  I believe they have partnered with Boingo.  The method Verizon uses to connect and verify is a PC-only application.  It's not that the wifi connection itself is PC-only, but the method of verifying the verizon eligibility and creating the account is.

Did you see

http://wyang0.blogspot.com/2012/01/verizon-wi-fi-for-all-devices-mac-linux.html

by arls544 on ‎05-07-2013 03:54 AM

Ya, I definitely misunderstood the OP's complaint. 

It's pretty hard to fathom that some public Wi-Fi hotspot provider doesn't afford service to OS X users. Thats just crazy. Actually I was reading through the fine print on the Verizon public Wi-Fi page and it actually says: 

Verzon Wi-Fi available with select FiOS and High Speed Internet packages and in designated locations only. The service requires Windows Vista or Windows XP 32-bit with Service Pack 3. Not available on Macintosh, Windows XP-64 bit, or Windows 7 operating systems.Other terms apply. 

They are telling you that its XP 32bit SP3 or bust... pretty humorous...

I looked up my area to see if there were any places I could go test it out, now granted I don't live in a major metro area like NYC but Albany, NY is the state capitol and is a pretty bustling city/suburban sprawl. There are a total of 4, yes 4, VZ hotspots... 2 econo lodge and 2 holiday inn. So, I'd be looking for other ways to get free wi-fi in public places because its pretty clear that VZ certainly doesn't care to provide it. They tout a total of 5k wi-fi hotspots NATIONWIDE! AT&T, my wireless carrier give me 30K hotspots... It sure seems as if  they are expecting you to turn elsewhere for that type of service. Oh and AT&T's public wi-fi is platform independant, it works on everything, just sayin....

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools