Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

Angus Thomson of Intuit on Building Your Website

by Employee ‎10-13-2010 12:16 PM - edited ‎10-13-2010 12:17 PM

Angus Headshot - updated.jpgOf all the tools in a small business owner’s marketing arsenal, your website can be one of the most powerful. A well-designed site can be the critical difference that makes a customer choose to stay, browse and buy instead of moving on to a competitor’s page.

Many small business owners hire web design professionals to create their site, but building and managing your own is easy with Verizon Websites powered by Intuit, just launched this week. The service includes an easy-to-use site-building tool along with unique templates, tools for social networking and much more.

First Things First

In order to ensure you’re ready to update and populate your website, there are three things you should consider as you build a website:

1)      Assemble Your Content. A good design is a starting point: the really important parts are the information and images on your site. Decide what information will be important to your visitors. Using relevant, descriptive text on your website is important not only to your visitors but also for search engines, which read the text to determine what keywords are relevant to your site. Make sure all your contact information is included in this content and complete pricing/product/service information is easy to find.

2)      Choose a Design and Customize. Go to the Verizon Websites information page and create an account. Following registration, you will have access to more than 2,000 professionally designed webpages created to enable you to create a site that suits your unique business needs. Use the tools to quickly and easily drag and drop your business’s logo, photos, texts and graphics. You will also be offered the option to purchase a domain name (think www.yourcompanynamehere.com) for your site.

3)      Click Publish. And your site is live to the world! After you’ve published you can make updates to your site anywhere you have access to the Internet, which includes functionalities like social networking tools and blogs.

Now What?

• Get Noticed:  The next crucial step is to get people to your website. Intuit's WebListings service submits business information to more than 100 major local search sites, including Google, Yahoo! and Bing, to help local customers find the business.

• Enhance.  Use search engine optimization (SEO) technology to make sure your site gets found through important search engines.  SEO can be complicated, so make sure your website provider offers tools to help you do this easily and provides education on how to do it yourself. You can find free online resources that can help you get started like this Online Marketing Toolkit.

You may also want to consider search engine marketing (SEM), which allows businesses to pay for increased traffic from search engines to your website. You have more immediate control over making your website easier to find in search engines, especially if your SEO results are not yet visible, or if you would like to increase awareness at a specific point in time – i.e. for an event or sale.

• Interact: Once you’ve got your site up and listed on the directories, use features like a blog, a Facebook page for your business and other social networking tools, which are free to use.  These require your time and effort but pay off in terms of traffic to your site and new customers in your business.

The key to remember throughout all of this: what will get me the most customers?  As you create your site, put yourself in the mind of your customer so that you create the best experience possible for them.

As leader of Intuit's Grow Your Business Division, Angus Thomson focuses on helping small businesses grow their revenues through services such as websites, customer relationship management, email marketing and online reputation management. Helping small businesses succeed has been a passion for Angus ever since he helped his mother run two small businesses of her own while growing up in San Francisco.

Comments
by brianweed on ‎07-08-2011 05:21 PM

Is there a way I can just FTP and upload my own PHP files? I don't want the themes or editors that are provided. I want to upload my own Web apps and pages, CSS, JS, etc. Any help is appreciated.

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎07-10-2011 11:41 AM

Is there a way I can just FTP and upload my own PHP files? I don't want the themes or editors that are provided. I want to upload my own Web apps and pages, CSS, JS, etc. Any help is appreciated.

Does the info at

http://www2.verizon.net/myaccount/manage/sitebuilder/ftp_info.asp

help you?

About Verizon's Small Business
Get news from Verizon about small business services and market trends that affect your bottom line. Here, you'll find tips and commentary from the Verizon small business group and other experts to help keep your business growing.

Contact the editor: vzsmallbiz@verizon.net

About the Authors

Mark W. Adams

Director: Verizon National Marketing

Photo of Mark Adams

Mark leads the way to bring innovative solutions to small businesses.

Mark Smith

Executive Director: Verizon Ventures

Photo of Mark Smith

Mark works with and identifies entrepreneurial companies for Verizon to invest in and fund.

Dan Keoppel

Executive Director: Verizon Ventures

Photo of Dan Keoppel

Dan works with and identifies entrepreneurial companies for Verizon to invest in and fund.

Paul Macchia

National Public Relations Manager

Photo of Paul Macchia

Paul handles corporate communications for Verizon Wireless with a focus on enterprise and government sectors.

Ellen Yu

Sr. Manager: Media Relations

Photo of Ellen Yu

Ellen provides PR support to Verizon's small business team, landlines and FiOS in apartment buildings and small and medium-sized commercial properties such as strip malls, and street-level shops and offices.

Kathy Johnson

Manager: SMB Product Marketing Messaging, Verizon Wireless

Photo of Kathy Johnson

Kathy manages the SMB product Marketing Messaging Strategy for the Business Solution Group. She also develops and manages various SMB marketing programs to support channel enablement.

Jarryd Gonzales

Sr. Manager: Media Relations

Photo of Jarryd

Jarryd provides PR support to Verizon in CA and TX.

Categories
Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements