Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

Disaster Planning - Is Your Business Ready for Friday the 13th?

by Monte_Beck ‎08-12-2010 05:49 PM - edited ‎08-12-2010 05:52 PM

1372i2FA2F2D7D01F8506We all know the superstition around Friday the 13th and bad luck – but that’s all it is. . . superstition.  When it comes to the unexpected, there’s a different adage I prefer –  “A stitch in time saves nine.”

In my line of work, I’m constantly thinking about how unforeseen events may impact small business owners. Recent news coverage surrounding floods in Iowa, fires in California, tornadoes across Oklahoma and the impending hurricane season cause me to wonder if small businesses have effectively prepared themselves for potential loss. The fact is a major disaster isn’t always a massive natural occurrence – a break-in, theft of a laptop or loss of a smart phone in a taxi would easily factor into a major disaster for today’s small business owner.

So small businesses need to ask themselves if they are prepared and, if not, how to get prepared. What should you be thinking about today to ensure that you don’t lose the countless hours on your finances, employment records, customer files and so on? The days of backing up your files are long gone, but what fits your budget and doesn’t take an engineer to figure out for your line of work?

This abstract will provide a vendor neutral view on small business disaster recovery. Verizon’s Monte Beck will outline how today’s small business can build up the proper defenses against major disasters and ensure they can be as prepared as possible in today’s online environment.

If you do capture most of your important documents, files and records online, how much storage is enough? Think about this. Do you file away enough documents to fill up five pickup trucks of printed documents each year? What about 100 pickup trucks? Well, if you have this same amount on your computer system at the office, what would you do if a power surge knocked out your PCs? What if your hard drive crashed? Would you be able to recover from this?

These days, I don’t think it’s the right approach to not consider some sort of back-up system for your small business. We offer varying degrees of online storage and back-up – from the five pickup trucks option (5GB) up to the 250 pickup trucks (250GB) for our High Speed Internet or FiOS Internet packages. Our plans range from $1.99/mo up to $19.99/mo with the first 30 days free for new subscribers.

Backing up your important files is an essential part of customer service in today’s business environment. Never losing valuable information can go a long way for your customers should you experience a disaster. No one ever wants to go through one, but sometimes it can happen when you least expect it. Protect yourself and look to Verizon to help you find the right solution for your small business.

About Verizon's Small Business
Get news from Verizon about small business services and market trends that affect your bottom line. Here, you'll find tips and commentary from the Verizon small business group and other experts to help keep your business growing.

Contact the editor: vzsmallbiz@verizon.net

About the Authors

Mark W. Adams

Director: Verizon National Marketing

Photo of Mark Adams

Mark leads the way to bring innovative solutions to small businesses.

Mark Smith

Executive Director: Verizon Ventures

Photo of Mark Smith

Mark works with and identifies entrepreneurial companies for Verizon to invest in and fund.

Dan Keoppel

Executive Director: Verizon Ventures

Photo of Dan Keoppel

Dan works with and identifies entrepreneurial companies for Verizon to invest in and fund.

Paul Macchia

National Public Relations Manager

Photo of Paul Macchia

Paul handles corporate communications for Verizon Wireless with a focus on enterprise and government sectors.

Ellen Yu

Sr. Manager: Media Relations

Photo of Ellen Yu

Ellen provides PR support to Verizon's small business team, landlines and FiOS in apartment buildings and small and medium-sized commercial properties such as strip malls, and street-level shops and offices.

Kathy Johnson

Manager: SMB Product Marketing Messaging, Verizon Wireless

Photo of Kathy Johnson

Kathy manages the SMB product Marketing Messaging Strategy for the Business Solution Group. She also develops and manages various SMB marketing programs to support channel enablement.

Jarryd Gonzales

Sr. Manager: Media Relations

Photo of Jarryd

Jarryd provides PR support to Verizon in CA and TX.

Categories
Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411