Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

Displaying articles for: July 2011

VZ small_biz_info ICON.pngThe Weekly Roundup features some interesting articles that caught our attention this week.  We bring them to you in this short summary.

Happy reading!

Read more...

jen-prosek - small.jpgGuest post from Jennifer Prosek, CEO of CJP Communications and the author of Army of Entrepreneurs™: Create an Engaged and Empowered Workforce for Exceptional Business Growth. July’s featured author in the Verizon Author Series.  You can follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

Thank you to those who joined my live webinar yesterday and for those who missed it, below is a recap… of course you can always watch the webinar on-demand, just click here.

While any company can develop its own ‘army of entrepreneurs’, there’s one essential element they need to get right and that is the culture. Culture empowers employees, flattens the management structure, democratizes decision making, encourages communication and motivates every member of the team. The four pillars below can help build that culture.

Read more...

Develop Your Army of Entrepreneurs to Grow Your Business

by Employee ‎07-26-2011 08:39 AM - edited ‎07-26-2011 08:42 AM

VZ Webinar Series ICON.jpgGuest post from Jennifer Prosek, CEO of CJP Communications and the author of Army of Entrepreneurs™: Create an Engaged and Empowered Workforce for Exceptional Business Growth. July’s featured author in the Verizon Author Series.  You can follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

In short, an ‘army of entrepreneurs’ is an internal force of committed, creative employees. It is also a management and leadership model that enables a business to grow and prosper in a fast-changing world.

In tomorrow’s live webcast I will teach business owners how to create their own “Army of Entrepreneurs.”

Read more...

Verizon Author Series logo.jpgThe Verizon Author Series was designed to bring experts to offer insights and advice to small businesses.  All this month we gave away featured author, Jennifer Prosek’s book Army of Entrepreneurs™: Create an Engaged and Empowered Workforce for Exceptional Business Growth. We will give away more of Jen’s book the rest of this week. 

Jennifer Prosek, is the CEO of CJP Communications and has developed a system to empower and motivate employees to help business owners grow their business.

This Wednesday, July 27th, at 2 p.m. ET Jen will host a live (free) webinar presented by the Verizon Small Business Center and then be available for a whole hour on Twitter on Thursday, July 28th at 10 a.m. ET to answer questions and offer more advice.

I urge all businesses to seize these two opportunities to get insights directly from Jen Prosek. Consider these as free consultations with a business expert; so, why not participate? 

Read more...

VZ small_biz_info ICON.pngHello, I’m Ellen!  It’s a hot Friday in most places across the country!  I know I can sure use some ice cream... While we all know how to introduce ourselves, it’s always good to get feedback, click here for some insights from BNET.  

Now I know we are all winners here, but every once in a while something may not work out in our favor and we lose a little of our self-confidence, so click here for a short read to give yourself a boost.

This article caught my eye… five ways to improve your website. 

Read more...

If You Want the Best On Your Team: Build a Talent Pipeline

by Employee ‎07-20-2011 07:06 AM - edited ‎07-20-2011 07:19 AM

ArmyOfEntrepreneurs-book art.jpgGuest post from Jennifer Prosek, CEO of CJP Communications and the author of Army of Entrepreneurs™: Create an Engaged and Empowered Workforce for Exceptional Business Growth. July’s featured author in the Verizon Author Series.  You can follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

It is never easy to find the right people at the right time. For a small business owner, the challenge to keep the talent pipeline filled and flowing is constant. I’ve found to maintain a steady supply of people at all levels of my firm, I’ve had to go beyond the traditional recruiting methods of headhunters and Internet job sites to create my own talent ecosystem.

Read more...

Calling All Small Business Owners and Experts – Care to Share Your Expertise?

by Employee ‎07-19-2011 08:34 AM - edited ‎09-16-2011 02:31 PM

invitation.jpgSince we launched this blog, we have had a number of wonderful posts from various guest contributors – most posts are from our webinar presenters.

This blog has proven to be very popular among the SMB crowd.  We’ve received emails from small- and medium-sized business owners and professionals with an expertise interested in submitting a guest post or two on the Verizon Small Biz Blog

We listened, and now we want to extend an invitation.

Read more...

Let 4G Take Your Business Anywhere

by Employee ‎07-18-2011 06:35 AM - edited ‎07-22-2011 01:18 PM

PM-VZW.jpgGuest post from Paul Macchia, national PR manager - Enterprise and Government for Verizon Wireless. For the latest and greatest Verizon Wireless news, please follow us: @VZWnews.

I don’t have to tell you that today it’s all about mobility.  For businesses – particularly small- and medium-sized businesses – you want to be able to reach your customers and in turn have them reach you even if you are out – half way across the country.

Not all networks are created equally… depending on your mobile service provider you may or may not get service.  If you are pitching a customer your service via your cellphone, you do not want to drop that call or have bad reception where your voice is broken up. Period.  It’s a deal killer.

Read more...

VZ small_biz_info ICON.pngHappy Friday!  Click here for five ways to tell your business story.  If you joined this Wednesday’s live webinar (click here for the replay) Anita Campbell provided some great marketing tactics you can do to generate some awareness and buzz for your business (and at little to no cost).

She also discussed the importance of sharing your story with your customers and potential customers.  It gives your business a human touch and helps to establish an immediate rapport.  Anita also mentioned the importance of a website and how it is very easy to design one yourself today.

Read more...

Motivate (and Pay) Your People To Stay

by Employee ‎07-14-2011 07:51 AM - edited ‎07-20-2011 07:07 AM

ArmyOfEntrepreneurs-book art.jpgGuest post from Jennifer Prosek, CEO of CJP Communications and the author of Army of Entrepreneurs™: Create an Engaged and Empowered Workforce for Exceptional Business Growth. July’s featured author in the Verizon Author Series.  You can follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

One of the biggest challenges to a small business isn’t found on a balance sheet. Instead, it’s an issue of human capital. The process of keeping good people is an ongoing test for the small business owner.

As the founder and CEO of my own firm, a public relations and financial communications agency, I face this situation over and over again. Even as my company grows, I find my best people are often tempted by the bigger players in my field. What can I do to keep my best talent at home? I’ve found the most effective way to do this is to align my bottom line with their bottom line.

Read more...

smallbizmom artwork.pngDrum roll please (click here for sound effect)… we are excited to announce the winners of Verizon’s Hardest Working Small Biz Mom contest.  First, thank you to all the ladies who entered this contest.  We loved your stories and were in awe of the way you are able to care for your kids, family, your business and more.

Read more...

SMB Online, Referral, and PR Resources

by Employee ‎07-13-2011 01:37 PM - edited ‎07-13-2011 03:50 PM

VZ Webinar Series ICON.jpgFrom my webinar today presented by the Verizon Small Business Center, “Marketing on a Shoestring,” below you’ll find the links to the sites and resources I referred to, broken down by the three major marketing approaches I touched on.  To catch the replay of my webinar click here or go to http://bit.ly/pUmHUT.

Read more...

Tips To Market Your Business on a Shoestring – But Not Have it Look Low Budget

by Employee ‎07-12-2011 06:42 AM - edited ‎07-13-2011 08:01 AM

Anita Campbell.jpgOn July 13 at 2:00pm Eastern time, join me for a free one-hour webinar presented by the Verizon Small Business Center.  The topic is marketing on a shoestring budget.

When I first started my business some years ago, like many of you, I started from scratch, with no clients and no revenue.  During the time it took me to develop a clientele and start bringing money in the door (almost 6 months to see significant revenue), I had to market my business, of course.  At first I used my savings.  It can be discouraging, even frightening, to see your bank balance dwindling every month, with little coming in. 

Read more...

VZ small_biz_info ICON.pngNo matter the business you are in; are your products and/or services priced right?  I referenced an article not too long ago on pricing and here’s a new one

I know in this blog we’ve talked about cloud computing or cloud services – how it can help your business.  Check out this article by InformationWeek SMB that focuses on how one company is leveraging cloud computing to run its business better.

Read more...

Make Your Employees Work For You (For Themselves)

by Employee ‎07-06-2011 08:57 AM - edited ‎07-06-2011 09:10 AM

ArmyOfEntrepreneurs-book art.jpgIt’s July and we’re excited to introduce another expert in the Verizon Authors Series: Jennifer Prosek who wrote Army of Entrepreneurs: Create an Engaged and Empowered Workforce for Exceptional Business Growth.

To win your copy of Army of Entrepreneurs, be one of the first 10 people to send an email to vzsmallbiz@verizon.net telling us you’d like a signed copy of Jen’s book.  Of course, in the email, do share with us how you are motivating your employees to be more entrepreneurial. 

Read more...

VZ small_biz_info ICON.pngHappy July!  I read a few stories about there being a surge in borrowing from U.S. small businesses.  Is your business growing?  If yes, which industry are you in?  It’s a sign that the economy is growing.  Here’s another article about it too – borrowing up by 26%!

If you are looking to borrow check out this article first, get some ‘insider’ insights into what some banks don’t want you to know.

Read more...

About Verizon's Small Business
Get news from Verizon about small business services and market trends that affect your bottom line. Here, you'll find tips and commentary from the Verizon small business group and other experts to help keep your business growing.

Contact the editor: vzsmallbiz@verizon.net

About the Authors

Mark W. Adams

Director: Verizon National Marketing

Photo of Mark Adams

Mark leads the way to bring innovative solutions to small businesses.

Mark Smith

Executive Director: Verizon Ventures

Photo of Mark Smith

Mark works with and identifies entrepreneurial companies for Verizon to invest in and fund.

Dan Keoppel

Executive Director: Verizon Ventures

Photo of Dan Keoppel

Dan works with and identifies entrepreneurial companies for Verizon to invest in and fund.

Paul Macchia

National Public Relations Manager

Photo of Paul Macchia

Paul handles corporate communications for Verizon Wireless with a focus on enterprise and government sectors.

Ellen Yu

Sr. Manager: Media Relations

Photo of Ellen Yu

Ellen provides PR support to Verizon's small business team, landlines and FiOS in apartment buildings and small and medium-sized commercial properties such as strip malls, and street-level shops and offices.

Kathy Johnson

Manager: SMB Product Marketing Messaging, Verizon Wireless

Photo of Kathy Johnson

Kathy manages the SMB product Marketing Messaging Strategy for the Business Solution Group. She also develops and manages various SMB marketing programs to support channel enablement.

Jarryd Gonzales

Sr. Manager: Media Relations

Photo of Jarryd

Jarryd provides PR support to Verizon in CA and TX.

Categories
Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411