Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

How I Started a Small Business With Zero Startup Costs

by Employee ‎12-10-2013 11:47 AM - edited ‎12-11-2013 07:37 AM

comm.jpgGuest post from Corey Harris, a small business owner who frequently writes about business trends and shares tips for money management and budgeting on MoneyCrashers.

The path to owning a small business is a varied one – there is no "right" way to succeed in the world of entrepreneurship. Some people find their small business passion through proper planning, serious research, and effective marketing, while for others, it simply happens by chance. No matter how you get involved, you shouldn't let cost concerns stand in your way. I was able to start my business with not much more than some Scotch tape, believe it or not. If you're on the fence about a new venture, read on to find out how I did it with no startup costs whatsoever.

How It Started Off
They say that necessity is the mother of invention, and in my case this was true. I started my venture while my wife was in college. The more classes she took, the more the expensive textbooks piled up in our closet, and I decided to do something about it. I knew the books were worth a lot, and so I investigated a variety of college textbook buy-back sites, as well as other online sales engines like Amazon and eBay. After some research, I chose to list the books on Amazon.com. I opened an account there and I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they sold and how much money I got for them. Because of that success, I decided to list an old GPS device as well as an outdated digital camera. I sold them both in short order.

How I Expanded
Once I felt proficient selling items online, I learned about the discount goods website FatWallet through a friend of mine. To my surprise, I found out that there were plenty of items you can purchase on the cheap including laptops, small electronics, and computer software, and I began flipping them online to make a profit. I started off with a few modest purchases, but eventually ended up investing the majority of my emergency fund in the venture. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. In 2010, I generated close to $40,000 in sales, which resulted in more than $6,000 in profit. There were some tough times along the way, but it turned out to be one of the best risks I ever took.

Read more...

VZ Webinar Series ICON.jpgGuest post by E.J. Dealy is CEO of The Company Corporation, which helps entrepreneurs and small business owners with incorporating and forming business entities. The Company Corporation does not provide legal, financial, or tax advice.

It began with an idea, built upon a dream to spread messages to an eager audience, or to offer consumers certain products and services. Passionate and dedicated supporters – family members, loved ones, and business partners – fueled your ambition. Maybe this idea grew from a childhood memory, or evolved under the tutorage of a mentor. No matter how this seed was planted, you have probably spent years developing a solid business plan. So, what’s your next move?

Incorporating the brand should be top of mind prior to launching a privately owned business. It is an important step, adding security and legitimacy, no matter the organization’s size. Forming an LLC, or Limited Liability Company, comes with multiple advantages:

Read more...

Merchant Services: 6 Ways to Know You’re Getting What You Pay For

by Employee ‎11-07-2013 02:00 PM - edited ‎11-08-2013 12:27 PM

ASMI_345_Image_04.jpg

Guest post by Chase Paymentech, providing thousands of Verizon customers’ best-in-class debit and credit card processing through Verizon Merchant Services.

As a small business owner, you know the value of accepting debit and credit cards: the option for more and higher sales, customer convenience and more... So, while having a merchant services account is a no brainer, how do you know you’re with the right processor? There are many signs that indicate you’re getting value from your payment processor. Here are some of the big ones:

1.    Your pricing is easy to understand.

Here’s the deal with pricing: it’s not quite as simple as that one “low” rate. The true/real price you pay includes a combination of fees paid to the card companies, like Visa and MasterCard, and fees paid to your payment processor. It sounds complicated, but it should all be spelled out clearly and simply in your merchant agreement and monthly statement or report.

2.    You get the help you need. When you need it.

Say it’s 8pm and your payment terminal stops working. You can’t afford to lose those sales and you need help – now. Making sure your processor has a technical support hotline open 24/7 can help you avoid this situation. Your provider should also be proactive enough to know that these things happen. Having helpful videos and simple reference guides available online can go a long way when you need a quick fix.   

Read more...

HarlemG.jpgStarting today entrepreneurs and startups working out of the HarlemGarage will have access to the fastest Internet connection: Verizon FiOS Internet for Business.

Verizon recently equipped its award-winning FiOS Quantum 300 megabits-per-second Internet service, free for six months, to support the high-tech, high-bandwidth needs of these innovative, new companies at HarlemGarage’s incubator location in Manhattan.

Now these budding companies will not only gain the advantages of access to the incubator office space and collaborative environment before they move into their own permanent work locations, but they will launch and conduct business on the most advance network.

Our partnership with HarlemGarage is Verizon’s second such agreement with New York City business incubators.

Read more...

VZ Webinar Series ICON.jpgThe next free webinar from Verizon’s small business team will be held Wednesday, Oct. 30,  featuring Terry Jones, founder and former CEO of Travelocity.com, chairman of Kayak.com and CIO of Sabre, Inc. Jones, has a proven track record of leading companies whose innovations have changed an industry. In this one-hour webinar, Jones will offer insights into how to develop relationships online to both network and grow your business. 

The Verizon small business free webinar series is designed to keep small businesses informed to help them gain a competitive edge.  All webinars are available for on-demand replay.  To view past webinars visit www.verizon.com/webinar.

WHAT:  Verizon Webinar Series: “Developing Digital Relationships.”

WHEN:  Wednesday, Oct. 30, at 2 p.m. ET/1 p.m. CT/12 p.m. MT/11 a.m. PT 

WHERE:  Admission to this live webinar is free, but please register at least onehour before the webinar’s start to receive an “e-vite.”  Please click here to register or visit https://www.brighttalk.com/r/Kvs.

WHO: Terry Jones, founder and former CEO of Travelocity.com, chairman of Kayak.com and CIO of Sabre, Inc.TJones.jpg

Read more...

A Sweet Deal: Enter Now!

by Employee ‎10-18-2013 06:38 AM - edited ‎10-18-2013 12:25 PM

smallbiztown.jpgYou know that as a reward for being a Verizon small business customer you can join the Verizon Small Biz Rewards program allowing you to earn points for qualified charges: wireline, high speed internet (HSI), FiOS Internet and/or FiOS TV that can be redeemed for:

• Gift cards and certificates to popular dining, office supply, and retail stores.
  • Great name brand merchandise from electronics to stylish accessories.
  • The reloadable Verizon Small Biz Rewards credit card

Now until Friday, November 1, visit the virtual Verizon Small Biz Town for opportunities to earn more points and enter the Great Travel Sweepstakes for your chance to win up to $2,500 in travel certificates… Good luck! 

If you are an active Verizon Small Biz Rewards program member, tell us what you love to redeem and how you use the rewards.

Read more...

Latino Professionals Mark End of Hispanic Heritage Month in Philadelphia

by Employee ‎10-16-2013 12:57 PM - edited ‎10-16-2013 12:57 PM

More networking at the Verizon Latino Professional Networking event in Philly - small.jpgGuest post by Lee Gierczynski, Verizon's communications manager.  This post was first shared on Verizon's News Center.

To mark the end of Hispanic Heritage Month, Verizon hosted on Oct. 15 a special networking event with Al Dia, Philadelphia’s largest Hispanic newspaper, for members of Greater Philadelphia’s Latino Professional Network.  The event, held on the 50th floor of Three Logan Square in Center City, offered up stunning panoramic views of the City of Brotherly Love.

Read more...

Join Free Webinar: Tips On Starting A Business

by Employee ‎09-23-2013 01:52 PM - edited ‎09-23-2013 01:56 PM

VZ Webinar Series ICON.jpgThe latest free webinar fromVerizon’s small business team this Wednesday (Sept. 25) will feature Erika Martin, an entrepreneur and independent consultant with CAbi LLC, a social selling company specializing in women’s clothing, and previous owner of Options LLC, a personal concierge company. During this one hour webinar, Martin will share tips and insights for how to start a business.

Martin worked at MCI Telecommunications for 14 years in various corporateErika Martin.jpg management positions before becoming an entrepreneur.

WHAT: Verizon Webinar Series: “Yes You Can; Simple Ways to Start Your Own Business.

WHEN: Wednesday, Sept. 25, at 2 p.m. ET/1 p.m. CT/12 p.m. MT/11 a.m. PT.

WHERE: Admission to this online webinar is free, but please register at least onehour before the start of the live webinar to receive an “e-vite.” Please click here to register or visit http://vz.to/15O3I3Q.

Read more...

Verizon SmallBiz sustainability.jpgGuest post from Harry Mitchell, communications director for Verizon.  This post was first shared on the Verizon Residential and Small Business News Center.

Many small businesses want to be more sustainable, but they may need help getting started or finding the many resources that are available to them.

To get at some of these issues, Verizon will be hosting a “Sustainability and Small Business Summit” on Sept. 25 in Arlington, Va. The event will feature discussions with executives from Verizon; the U.S. Department of Energy; the U.S. Small Business Administration, Region III; and other leading private and public organizations.

Read more...

photo.jpgGuest post by Kristie Arslan, president of the National Association for the Self-Employed.

Health coverage is one of the most costly yet important purchases made by business owners and their employees.  So costly in fact, that many go without health coverage leaving them vulnerable to a financial disaster should they be faced with an illness or medical emergency. 

According to the Employee Benefits Research Institute, of the 45 million uninsured, roughly half were self-employed or worked for small businesses. This will soon change for better or for worse when the health reform law, known as the Affordable Care Act, is fully implemented come January 2014.

Beginning on January 14, 2014, all Americans will be required to obtain health coverage or pay a penalty including the self-employed.  If you are the owner of a small business with fifty or more full-time equivalent employees, beginning in 2015 you will be required to offer affordable health insurance coverage to all employees and their dependents.  [Learn more about the employer mandate.]

Read more...

500 Infographic.jpgStarting today, Verizon is beginning to offer the highest FiOS Quantum Internet speed tier yet in markets where our all-fiber FiOS network is available – 500 Megabits per second (Mbps) for downloading and 100 Mbps for uploading. 

These types of speeds enable users to download a 250-megabyte high-definition company promotion video in 4 seconds, or upload a 2-megabyte architectural blueprint in about 0.16 seconds.  That’s likely faster than the blink of an eye.  While this speed is incredible, it also poses questions like…

So how would increased Internet speeds help grow your business?

Read more...

SMBCC 2.JPGGuest post by Sandy Arnette, PR manager for Verizon.  This post was first published on Verizon’s residential and small business blog. 

The right connections can launch a business in a whole new direction.  That’s what many women-, veteran-, disabled- and minority-owned small businesses discovered June 27 at the Southern Maryland Black Chamber of Commerce’s (SMBCC’s) Procurement Matchmaking Small Business Expo in LaPlata, Md.

Doris J. Cammack-Spencer, president and chief executive officer of the chamber, knows the importance of connecting and creating opportunities for area businesses.  So, it was important for the organization to set the stage to foster successful relationships between small businesses and major contractors and contracting organizations.  Dozens of large companies, prime contractors, financial institutions and local, state and federal government agencies gathered at the College of Southern Maryland for the expo.

Read more...

National Small Business Week, June 17-20

by Employee ‎06-27-2013 08:35 AM - edited ‎06-27-2013 08:35 AM

Olivia Trusty.jpgGuest post by Olivia Trusty, director, public policy for Verizon.

Last week, in celebration of the 50th Annual National Small Business Week, the U.S. Small Business Administration hosted an event at the Renaissance Hotel in Washington, DC spotlighting the significant contributions that entrepreneurs and small business owners make to our economy each year.

In keeping with the tradition of past presidents since 1963, President Obama issued the following proclamation announcing National Small Business Week and commending small businesses for their work and important impact on our economy: http://www.sba.gov/nsbw/about.

Read more...

Introducing J2Solutions; A Philadelphia Area Business

by Employee ‎05-16-2013 11:37 AM - edited ‎05-17-2013 09:43 AM

We are so please to have connected with Vijay Khatnani recently who shared information about his business, offered tips to other business owners as well as how his company depends on FiOS services.  

Read more...

Celebrating Small Businesses In Philly May 13-17

by Employee ‎05-08-2013 08:56 AM - edited ‎05-15-2013 12:12 PM

SBW-logo4.gifSmall businesses are the backbone of our country, and Verizon is joining with the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce  to present the region’s inaugural Small Business Week May 13-17.  Over these five days, we will be celebrating and recognizing the critical contributions of the region’s more than 150,000 small businesses.

Small Business Week in Philadelphia will feature a series of events allowing small business owners to gain insights to better run their business and opportunities to network.  While most of the activities will take place in or near Philadelphia, there is a webinar next Thursday, May 16, that anyone with a broadband connection can join.

Highlights of Small Business Week in Philadelphia include:

Read more...

small biz shopper.jpgGuest post by Chase Paymentech, providing thousands of Verizon customers’ best-in-class debit and credit card processing through Verizon Merchant Services.

The global payments landscape is constantly evolving and so is the way your customers pay for their purchases. Technologically savvy and constantly on the go, today’s consumer is more likely to tap and go than to swipe and sign. So what does this mean to the long-standing card-present and card-not-present concepts we have always used as our dominant payment differentiator? A lot!

Read more...

Money Rules for Small Business Success

by Employee on ‎04-17-2013 01:39 PM

Jean.jpgGuest post by Jean Chatzky, a nationally known personal finance expert, author and frequent guest on The View, Morning Joe and The Oprah Winfrey Show.  In the latest free webinar presented by Verizon Small Business, Ms. Chatzky shared tips for small business owners to find the right financial balance.

Small Business Owners are among the most optimistic people on the planet – I think you have to be to do what you do. But according to recent research, you aren’t feeling particularly great right now. In March, the National Federation of Small Business Index of Small Business Optimism turned downward. That’s not good for the overall US economy (you and others like you are responsible for half of private GDP and half of private sector hiring), but it’s not particularly good for your own business or your own life. Because in my experience when you’re not feeling optimistic, you’re not doing enough to take control of your own financial lives – and your own financial futures. 

Having some Money Rules can help. Rules not only save us from societal chaos; they make our lives easier. Rules provide us with a filter. A means of looking at most of the money decisions we’re asked to make and enabling us to simply say: Yes. Or, just as importantly, no. Here are the ones I like best, and can help you make financial decisions for your business and for yourself:

Read more...

What’s In The Cloud May Be Good For Your Business

by Employee ‎03-27-2013 09:55 AM - edited ‎03-27-2013 02:49 PM

VZ Webinar Series ICON.jpgCheck out this webinar with entrepreneur Robby Hill, president and CEO of HiLLSouth, an information technology consulting firm. 

In this webinar, Robby discussed how cloud applications apply to your small business and he explains some of the complexities and amazing features that the technology offers.

Robby discussed the shift from just selling PCs to focusing on the many cloud computing products that are flooding the marketplace and understand what to look for to meet your needs.

To view this free webinar go to: http://vz.to/ZZ5NoI.

Read more...

Ignorance Can Be Bliss in Business

by Employee on ‎03-26-2013 07:34 AM

Kevin Johnson.jpgGuest post from Kevin D. Johnson, president of Johnson Media Inc. Johnson is also a serial entrepreneur with several years of experience leading his multimillion-dollar marketing and communications company that now serves many of the most notable Fortune 100 businesses. As an innovative leader, he has appeared on ABC’s Good Morning America, CBS, Oprah Radio, and in The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. Moreover, he has appeared on CNN frequently. He is author of the new book The Entrepreneur Mind: 100 Essential Beliefs, Characteristics, and Habits of Elite Entrepreneurs.

Pete Kight has a success story that is simply amazing. The company he founded, CheckFree, was acquired in 2007 by Fiserve for approximately $4.4 billion in cash. In many ways, his story sounds like other millionaire success stories that include dropping out of school, being ridiculed for pursuing a big idea, receiving rejection after rejection from prospective customers, having little money to fund his dream, and so on. But one aspect of his story is truly inspiring, and it serves as a profound lesson in entrepreneurship.

I was fortunate to hear Pete relate his fascinating accomplishments in person and in his own words just a few months before his company was acquired. He began telling his story before a crowd of students, entrepreneurs, and dignitaries: “I didn’t do well in school. In fact, I dedicated most of my time and energy to sports. I was a decathlete. After getting injured and becoming frustrated with college, I dropped out. . . .” His delivery was unimpressive, marked by monotony and an awkward cadence, but everyone was still riveted. The nontraditional path he took to success held everyone’s attention. He didn’t need the swagger or panache of a Donald Trump or the enlightenment of a Warren Buffett.

Read more...

Easy Access To Your Verizon Small Biz Rewards

by Employee ‎03-21-2013 09:05 PM - edited ‎03-27-2013 02:51 PM

MyBiz welcome screenshot.JPGConsistently, we strive to improve your experience when you are on verizon.com/smallbusiness.  We want to make you happy and we want to ensure it’s a breeze for you to access your account information so you can focus on running your business. 

We are so pleased to announce that now when you log into My Business Account you can view your Verizon Small Biz Rewards information. Now you can login from either site using your My Business Account user ID and password to review your points balance, redeem your points for rewards and more.  You can also navigate between the Small Biz Rewards area and the account area without the need to login again.  This is one of our ongoing initiatives to make your online experience with Verizon more convenient.

If you are not familiar with the Verizon Small Biz Rewards program, it was developed especially for our business customers. If you are already a Verizon business customer and haven’t enrolled in the Verizon Small Biz Rewards program sign up now!  Members earn points every month when they use qualifying Verizon services. 

If you are a member tell us how you use your rewards points and what item(s) you love to redeem. 

Read more...

Are you Self-Employed or thinking about starting your own business?

by Employee ‎02-18-2013 05:26 PM - edited ‎02-18-2013 07:09 PM

Guest blog by Steve Strauss:                                                    Headshot for web.JPG Steve Strauss.JPG

USA TODAY Senior Small Business Columnist

AuthorThe Small Business Bible, 3rd ed.

PresidentTheSelfEmployed

I have a question for you: Let’s say that you have been out of work for a while and you have no real prospects of finding a job? What do you do? Or what if you are a single mom and need the flexibility of making your own hours but your boss dosen't’t quite see things that way? Or what if you have simply have had it working for someone else and what you really long for is to be your own boss? What do you do?

You join the ranks of the self-employed, that’s what.

It is no secret that the nature of work is changing rapidly right now, and my friends here at Verizon are helping to power that change. Not only are more people working outside of an office, outside the traditional 9 to 5 job, and not only are companies finding that they can get by hiring freelancers instead of employees, but a whole new generation of workers are similarly discovering that they don’t need that job that they once thought was so indispensable.

It’s a revolution, a self-employment revolution.

There are many things that have coalesced to create this self-employment revolution, and not the least of which has been the challenging economy the past few years which has forced more than a few people to become entrepreneurs . . . Whether they wanted to or not.

And fortunately, technology has made that doable. Not long ago, becoming self-employed may have seemed daunting – where would you find the work, how would you do the work, did you have the resources to do a good job?

All that has changed in the blink of an eye.

Read more...

Week #5 of Share Your Small Business Story for a Chance to Win $$$

by Employee ‎02-11-2013 08:43 PM - edited ‎02-11-2013 08:51 PM

Welcome to week 5 of our 5 week “Tell us your Small Business Story” campaign…..

This is your last opportunity to share a story about your business for a chance to win a $250 AMEX gift card, courtesy of American Express. 

Every week during this campaign we have had a different topic.

For our final week we want to hear : How are you using Mobile Broadband for your business?

Where were we before mobile broadband?  Not very long ago “Hotspots” were used and inevitably you knew by just walking by a coffee shop, book store or another similar retail establishment that offered seating areas and people where on their laptops, they were in a “Hotspot” area.  It seemed as if people would stay in designated “Hotspots” for hours and I often wondered how retailers remained profitable.  Many people still use “Hotspots” or Wifi to access the internet while on the go.  However with the launch mobile broadband and mobile broadband embedded devices, the coffee shops are not as crowded as they once were.  Now with the entrance of 4G mobile broadband…. Speed is king. 

Looking at mobile broadband for business, it has enabled businesses large and small to conduct business while on the go.  You no longer have to wait until you are back in your office or look for the nearest "Hotspot" to conduct business.  With the surge of start ups, mobile broadband is a must.  One major benefit of mobile broadband to an owner is you no longer have to be concerned or bogged down with loss of productivity and finding the time to complete paperwork once you are back in your office.  I found a few great tips for “How to use Mobile Broadband in your Small Business” by Blake Sanders.  Mobile broadband allows businesses to focus on what they do best, driving their business.       

Mobile Broadband for Business.jpg

Read more...

VZ Webinar Series ICON.jpgIn the first live free webinar of 2013 presented by Verizon’s small business team you’ll hear from Damien and Derek Hoffman, co-founders of Wall Street Cheat Sheet, a leading financial media company, providing top insights specifically for investors, business professionals, and entrepreneurs.  The company was named the #1 Social Media Influencer on Wall Street according to Forbes, a finalist for Forbes List of America’s Most Promising Companies in 2011, as well as a top financial outlet according to the Wall Street Journal.

In this one hour live webinar learn secrets to their success from the Hoffman brothers. Learn how WallStCheatSheet.com launched during a recession yet it grew and flourished. 

If you can’t join us live this Wednesday at 2 p.m. ET, all of our webinars are available for on-demand replay (just go to www.verizon.com/webinar). 

We hope you'll join us for this live free webinar this Wednesday at 2 p.m. ET, to register: http://vz.to/14lyNdp.

Read more...

Week #4 of Share Your Small Business Story for a Chance to Win $$$

by Employee ‎01-24-2013 08:50 AM - edited ‎01-27-2013 06:48 PM

Welcome to week 4 of our 5 week “Tell us your Small Business Story” campaign….. For the next 2 weeks share a story about your business for a chance to win a $250 AMEX gift card, courtesy of American Express. 

Every week during this campaign we’ll have a different topic.

For this week we want to hear How are you using social media to market/grow your business?

Social media has taken on a life of its own.   Initially what started out as a vehicle to stay in touch with family and friends have grown to now include businesses, organizations, schools….. you name it; chances are they are using some form of social media.  As a business owner using social media to market your business is time and effort worth spent.  Many businesses are so pressed for time; they do not devote the time needed to get started the right way.  Utilizing social media to market & grow your business should not be used as you are using it in your personal life.   With so many to choose from, businesses must look at which social media forums fit their business.  In addition knowing if their targeted audience uses that specific platform.  The beauty of have a multitude to choose from also allows businesses to explore and land on the few that meet their needs.  Yes, businesses can and many are using several social media forums, however the caveat is to effectively manage the content and on varies forums appropriately. 

There a multitude of ways as a business you can utilize social media to market and grow your business.  If you are only using social media for one aspect of your business, make sure you have your seat belt on and explore the many ways social media can assist accelerating your business.  I found an article by Steve Nichols entitled Social Media Applications Guide, which is worth reading on the many ways businesses can and have used social media for the business.

Social-Media-in-Business-Social-Media-Applications-Guide.jpg

Read more...

Got a Big Idea? It Could Be Worth Millions

by Employee ‎01-22-2013 08:58 AM - edited ‎01-22-2013 09:00 AM

Power Answers.pngGuest post by Raymond McConville with Verizon corporate media relations’ team.

With great power, comes great responsibility. As the operator of some of the most advanced wireless and broadband networks in the world, Verizon has the power to transform lives, and the responsibility to make the world we live in a better place.

It’s with that mindset that we launched the Powerful Answers Award at the International CES this week in Las Vegas.  With $10 million total in prize money, the Powerful Answers Award will be a year-long competition to challenge the best technology minds in the industry to develop wireless, wireline, or cloud-based solutions that address issues in health care, education and sustainability.

Read more...

Welcome to week 3 of our 5 week “Tell us your Small Business Story” campaign….. For the next 3 weeks share a story about your business for a chance to win a $250 AMEX gift card, courtesy of American Express. 

For this week we want to hear How are you utilizing Tablets in your business?

As we look at how mobile technology trends for businesses and mobile business apps, it would be remiss of me if I didn’t bring up tablets.  Tablets started out as consumer product and quickly moved into the business world.  Business owners see the value of having a tablet and have turned in their laptops.  The mobility factor alone for having a tablet that can do everything your laptop and desktop can is immeasurable……. Many businesses utilize their tablets to conduct business while on the go along with increasing their productivity whether on email, editing/sharing of documents, presentations, social media, managing expenses, banking and much more…. I found an insightful article on “Why Isn’t Your Business Using Tablets?

9dfe7f51-a364-4c41-b53b-82dce0141844_wssource_widescreen_hero.jpg

Read more...

Get Your Emergency Preparedness Plan On

by Employee ‎01-07-2013 09:00 AM - edited ‎01-07-2013 09:01 AM

Resolve-to-be-ready-133x300px.jpgGuest post by Faizun Kamal, public affairs director for Verzion.

It’s a brand new year, so why not take the time now to ensure your small business is protected before, during and after an emergency or disaster?  The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Resolve to be Ready campaign is not only about protecting individuals and providing resources for them, it also has a wealth of preparedness information for businesses.    

As we have seen, extreme weather is a matter of “when,” not “if.”  Does your business have an emergency response plan?  A business continuity plan?

It doesn’t take much time to develop a plan to protect your business if disaster strikes.  A preparedness program includes five steps:

Read more...

Week #2 of Share Your Small Business Story For a Chance to Win $$$

by Employee ‎12-31-2012 06:05 AM - edited ‎12-31-2012 06:07 AM

Welcome to week 2 of our 5 week “Tell us your Small Business Story” campaign….. For the next 4 weeks share a story about your business for a chance to win a $250 AMEX gift card, courtesy of American Express. 

For this week we want to hear What is your favorite business app and why?

In the day of modern technology, apps are a way a life for many if not everyone who owns any type of mobile device i.e. smartphone/tablet/laptop.  With the convenience of mobile apps we are more productive, with apps that you can download and share important documents to banking to video conferencing to taking mobile payments plus many more…. Also many people find themselves addictive to their favorite past time; playing their favorite game on their mobile devices.  I have often found myself while waiting at the doctor’s office or on the train commuting to the city, playing one or two games and even getting the latest update on my favorite football teams on my Smartphone. 

I am often reminded of a commercial that ran a year or two ago… “There Is An App for That”!  Whatever you wanted to accomplish on your mobile device there is an app for that…..   According to an article I found on the Business Insider, based on their survey, they have comprised a list (by category) of the 100 best a...

business-insider-app-100-2012.jpg

Read more...

Share Your Small Business Story For A Chance To Win $$$

by Employee ‎12-20-2012 11:37 AM - edited ‎12-26-2012 06:28 AM

For the next 5 weeks share a story about your business for a chance to win a $250 AMEX gift card, courtesy of American Express.  Every week during our  “Tell Us Your Small Business Story” campaign we’ll have a different topic. (Due to the holidays, you have until midnight 12/29 for this week's response)

To kick off our campaign we want to hear how Mobile Technology has changed, improved, and/or enhanced your business!

As a business owner, business happens wherever you are…  Gone are the days of transacting business in an office.  Business owners today take advantage of every opportunity to market/promote their business and sell their products or services. 

Mobile Technology.png

Read more...

Analyze Your Customers’ Purchases To Find Shopping Trends

by Employee ‎12-13-2012 09:32 AM - edited ‎12-13-2012 09:40 AM

pulse_graph small.jpgGuest post by Marcie Wiehagen of Chase Paymentech.

This year, you can track how the holiday spending is trending.

Chase launched the 2012 Chase Holiday Pulse, a comprehensive and near-real-time tracker of consumer shopping trends during the holiday season.

For the seventh consecutive year, Pulse will provide data tracking online sales volume, payment transactions and average ticket value from 50 of its largest ecommerce retailers.  For the first time, Pulse provides aggregated Chase card retail spending data at brick-and-mortar merchants. Together, the data offers a comprehensive, one-of-a kind insight into both online and in-store holiday shopping habits. 

Read more...

About Verizon's Small Business
Get news from Verizon about small business services and market trends that affect your bottom line. Here, you'll find tips and commentary from the Verizon small business group and other experts to help keep your business growing.

Contact the editor: vzsmallbiz@verizon.net

About the Authors

Mark W. Adams

Director: Verizon National Marketing

Photo of Mark Adams

Mark leads the way to bring innovative solutions to small businesses.

Mark Smith

Executive Director: Verizon Ventures

Photo of Mark Smith

Mark works with and identifies entrepreneurial companies for Verizon to invest in and fund.

Dan Keoppel

Executive Director: Verizon Ventures

Photo of Dan Keoppel

Dan works with and identifies entrepreneurial companies for Verizon to invest in and fund.

Paul Macchia

National Public Relations Manager

Photo of Paul Macchia

Paul handles corporate communications for Verizon Wireless with a focus on enterprise and government sectors.

Ellen Yu

Sr. Manager: Media Relations

Photo of Ellen Yu

Ellen provides PR support to Verizon's small business team, landlines and FiOS in apartment buildings and small and medium-sized commercial properties such as strip malls, and street-level shops and offices.

Kathy Johnson

Manager: SMB Product Marketing Messaging, Verizon Wireless

Photo of Kathy Johnson

Kathy manages the SMB product Marketing Messaging Strategy for the Business Solution Group. She also develops and manages various SMB marketing programs to support channel enablement.

Jarryd Gonzales

Sr. Manager: Media Relations

Photo of Jarryd

Jarryd provides PR support to Verizon in CA and TX.

Categories
Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements