Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

150/35 Mbps: One Giant Leap for Broadband in America

by ‎11-22-2010 08:00 AM - edited ‎11-22-2010 10:18 AM

1hd_150mpbs2hour.jpg

It’s good to be king. In this case, the undisputed king of broadband Internet service among major U.S. Internet service providers as we introduce today our newest FiOS Internet speed offer of 150/35 megabits per second.

As compared to some of Verizon’s chief cable rivals, our new speed provides 50 percent faster download speed than the fastest download speeds of Comcast and Cablevision.  In contrast to cable giant Time Warner, our fastest download speed rockets 200 percent faster than its fastest download speed.

As fans of FiOS, and broadband fans in general know, upstream speeds are equally important in this visual era where consumers send mega-sized amounts of video, images and data to colleagues professionally, plus post them to social media sites for fun.

Our 35 mbps upload speed is more than 130 percent faster than Cablevision and Comcast’s and more than 600 percent faster than Time Warner.  There’s fast, and then there’s FiOS fast.

The majority of our FiOS-eligible residential customers get first crack at the new super speed offer, and we’ll start selling it to our small business customers by the end of the year.

Since we began selling FiOS Internet in the summer of 2004, we’ve learned that as the number of wired and Wi-Fi connectible Internet protocol devices, appliances and home control/security systems grow in popularity, the need for dependable, reliable, ultra-broadband increases proportionally.

Dedicated broadband capacity, and not just shared bandwidth service, is fast becoming a requirement for dependable Internet protocol-enabled devices and system performance throughout the home and small business office.

These realities are what drive us to press ahead in conducting field trials that test broadband boundaries, with the promise of sparking innovation.  In fact, that’s one of the benefits of one of our most recent field trial that achieved connection speeds of nearly one gigabit per second, both downstream and upstream, using the existing FiOS connection to a Massachusetts business customer.

A few weeks later, we achieved connection speeds of 10 gigabits per second on our fiber-optic network using an advanced technology that has not yet been deployed.

This advanced speed throughput is what we’ve often described as ‘future proofing.’  By supporting the immediate and future speed needs of bandwidth-hungry customers, we believe our newest speed tier sets a new benchmark for high-speed Internet in America.  We also believe the new 150/35 Mbps offer will pave a path for a blizzard of bandwidth-intensive applications to reach mainstream status.

With the launch of our 150/35 Mbps FiOS Internet service, I’m reminded of one of our earliest descriptions of the FiOS project.  Given the large infrastructure investment we made, we referred to the innovative network in the same breath as the construction of the original telephone network, the Hoover Dam, and the moon landing.

As we plant the broadband flag of 150/35 Mbps, we affirm our original claim by saying today marks one large step for Verizon, and one giant leap for broadband in America.

Comments
by on ‎11-22-2010 09:06 AM

Cool this is smoking!

Bill

Iin all the excitement do you mean < 5 Minutes? Fiber is the future and I have had it all the way to my house for more than 5 years. Cable can't say that. I for one started out at 15/2 and that was 10 times faster than my 1.5 DSL. Now in a five year time we are talking 100 times faster.

Kudos to Verizon!

by on ‎11-22-2010 09:08 AM

Please put the edit feature in the Options for blog posts. In all the excitement, not Iin all the excitement.

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎11-23-2010 09:23 AM

Please put the edit feature in the Options for blog posts. In all the excitement, not Iin all the excitement.

Testing re-editting feature..

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎11-23-2010 09:34 AM

Confirmed, does not exist. :smileysad:

Maybe posting in Share Your Ideas, would help ?

by xxHopefulxx on ‎11-27-2010 12:33 AM

It's good and all that you are creating faster speeds. But have you forgotten about the people who don't even get anything but dial up. I mean come on, it's probably more expensive to do all these tests for faster speeds than to offer DSL or FIOS in other areas.   I'm just disappointed that Verizon has forgotten about the people like me, who do have Verizon home phone, but still are stuck with dial up.

by wolfkri88 on ‎12-06-2010 03:54 PM

Bill

What I find very funny is that Verizon is always bragging about how its faster than Cablevision how the TV is better, everything is Better. The one thing you and everyone that sits at Verizon while high Fiving each other the one thing you fail to let everyone know is your lack of explaining why Fois is not in Brookhaven which is one of the biggest town on Long Island. But hey if you go north of NYC to some little town with about 500 people they can get fios. Please Bill do us all a favor, brag about something meaningful for once, instead of always avoiding why Brookhaven has even gotten a sniff for like 7 years now but hey I do enjoy listening and watching those wonderful Ads that Verizon Puts out on the Radio and TV so I can sit there and enjoy hearing about something I can't even get. THANKYOU BILL

by on ‎12-07-2010 01:19 PM

wolfkri88,

We appreciate your comments because they give us a chance to explain what's involved in bringing FiOS to any community:  In a nutshell, in New York we need to negotiate a TV franchise with each community as well as engineer and build our fiber-to-the-home network and market our services to prospective customers.

Verizon has negotiated 75 TV franchises on Long Island since 2005, and we've had preliminary discussions with numerous other Long Island communities.  Because many franchises have build-out commitments -- generally 5 years in New York State -- we're focused on meeting those commitments and making FiOS TV available to more customers in the communities where we already have franchises.  This is consistent with what we're doing in other states as we near our stated goal to pass 18 million premises with our fiber-to-the-home network. The absence of a franchise agreement in Brookhaven is simply a function of our company focusing on those commitments.  While we continue to have ongoing franchise discussions with a handful of communities, we're now concentrating on completing the build-out of our FiOS network. 

Bill

by houkouonchi ‎05-26-2011 08:01 AM - edited ‎05-26-2011 08:03 AM

To: Bill

It is really too bad that almost nobody can actually get this service of which VZ makes you bend over backwards to even try to get. Its been listing as available to me on the site for months and 15 phone calls later and countless hours spent on the phone I finally have an installation date of 5/31 which could just get canceled at the last second like I have heard from others. This is really lame.

Also its 150/65 which is only what makes it tolerable. Why advertise it as 150/35? A 35 upstream on that package is kind of stupid considering its cost but its really 150/65 but for whatever reason advertised as 35 up. I know if I ever went from 65 -> 35 simply because that is what it is advertised to I would probably end up canceling the service.

From: A current customer with two 35/35 connections bonded to 70/70

PS:

If you want a big list of people trying to get this service who cant check out:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25782212-Anyone-in-NJ-with-150-35-

I am not alone.

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎05-26-2011 03:19 PM

As addressed on http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Offers-15035-Mbps-FiOS-For-Business-111920

After several years of lambasting anything over 50 Mbps as marketing fluff, Verizon late last month took the wraps off of their 150 Mbps down, 35 Mbps up tier.

Besides me, anyone else find that odd?

They (Verizon) says 50 Mbps is plenty of speed, and then latter on they increase the speed?

Thanks.

by on ‎05-26-2011 05:28 PM

houkouonchi 

First, I appreciate you ordering our FiOS Internet. It's a mind-blowing service that delivers reliability, consistency and window-rattling speed.  Our fastest offering, 150/35 Mbps, is the nation's fastest Internet service and is available to a significant majority of our customers who live in FiOS markets. Second, I'm sorry to learn of the delayed time it took you to order the service.

There has always been a segment of both the consumer and small business broadband market that wants the highest speed available.  We continue to see a general growing demand for faster connections as more bandwidth-hungry applications are being adopted by consumers and businesses.  These include such online activities as downloading of Internet video to TV and PC, 3D TV and movie downloads, multi-player gaming, online data backup, HD and real-time video conferencing, and video and music sharing.  

Our fastest speed offering of FiOS supports the immediate -- and future -- speed needs of consumers, and because we offer speeds starting at 15 mbps, we are able to satisfy the bandwidth needs of millions of customers with a number of different speed tiers.

Bill

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411