Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS

All Aboard the Verizon Broadband Express: Residential Internet Service Shines in J.D. Power Study

by ‎10-29-2010 10:09 AM - edited ‎10-29-2010 11:35 AM

woman_laptop.jpgOn the heels of outperforming our East Coast competitors for the third year in a row for video services as cited by J.D. Power and Associates, our broadband Internet services have scooped up additional recognition from J.D. Power.

Verizon’s consumer broadband services – FiOS Internet and High Speed Internet (HSI) –outperformed all our competitors when it comes to overall customer satisfaction in the South region, according to the J.D. Power and Associates’ “2010 Internet Service Provider Residential Customer Satisfaction StudySM” released Thursday.

Verizon landline operations in Florida and Texas are considered part of the J.D. Power South region, and our broadband services outscored 12 other providers -- including our chief Florida competitor Bright House -- in overall satisfaction and two critical factors: performance and reliability, and offerings and promotions.

In the ultra competitive Northeast region, representing 75 percent of all Verizon-served landline states, Verizon’s advanced FiOS Internet and digital-subscriber-line (DSL)-based HSI were one of just two services to score a five-out-of-five rating, and scoring way ahead of chief rivals Time Warner and Comcast. If you didn’t take a moment to click on our competitors’ links, go ahead and do so and you’ll hear direct from their own customers about the personal pitfalls of using cable-based Internet or TV service.

In the West region that includes our California landline market, Verizon’s broadband services ranked fourth, but heavily outperformed our primary cable competitors Time Warner and Charter Communications.

For our Internet service and video customers, this is great news. We introduced FiOS Internet and TV service six and five years ago, respectively.  In that short time, we’ve established the superior customer experience associated with the all-fiber network as the service du jour of discriminating customers.

In addition to Verizon FiOS’ blazing-fast downloads of 50 megabits per second, our all-fiber-optic service offers unprecedented upstream speeds of up to 35 megabits per second. We recently increased the downstream speed for HSI service with a 10 Mbps to 15 Mbps offer that is available to a customer base of more than 4 million households, and growing.

Since our broadband Internet services serve as gateways to other valuable Verizon services, including Verizon Internet Security Suite, Verizon Online Backup & Sharing and Premium Technical Support, we believe our customers get the best bang for the buck, hands down.

As you’ll see in the months ahead, we’ll weave our broadband, video and voice services together even more tightly with new services that play of off the strength of remarkably intelligent Verizon networks.

A few years ago, we said we would transform Verizon from its historic telephone company roots into a broadband communications company. We’re well down that path, and these latest J.D. Power survey results validate our mission.  If you’re not already enjoying the ride, we encourage you to climb aboard because the future will only get better.

Comments
by on ‎10-29-2010 09:32 PM

You would get my vote. Verizon Internet Rocks!

Congratulations Verizon.

by scottandkelly on ‎10-31-2010 01:39 PM

As a residential triple play customer, who recently upgraded tv to ultimate HD and internet from 20/20 to 35/35 and renewed for 2 more years, I am still patiently waiting for WiFi MAC OS support.  In addition to being a residential user, I am given a choice by my employer of wireless carrier for mobile voice and data, and VZ has always been my carrier.  I consider myself to be a loyal VZ customer.

I am perplexed by the lack of MAC support for Fios WiFi ...  I cannot understand why after this long we do not have this access?  There has not been an update to the previous blogs concerning this since the summer.  There is no update on the residential wifi site.  Nothing.  In all other areas the MAC OS is supported, including with my VZ Wireless mobile data card. 

So can someone say why we still do not have this access?  My husband nor I have a Windows computer and we do not plan to purchase one. 

Does VZ really plan to provide MAC support for WiFi (be honest)? 

- It does not appear to be the case since the WiFi web page does not mention it will be coming, just states it is not supported.

After almost a year of waiting an ETA/Answer would be helpful.

by on ‎11-01-2010 05:00 PM

scottandkelly,

There is nothing planning for Macs as of now.  We'll keep you apprised here.

Bill

by evofire on ‎11-02-2010 01:02 AM - last edited on ‎11-02-2010 07:58 AM by Moderator

I have been with Verizon for over 5 years and this by far is the worst ever I have been calling and calling and not one person has come and fixed or looked at anything here is the speed test AFTER I HAD THE INTERNAL HOUSE LINES CHECKED!

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [130680]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 818.38Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 21.52kb/s
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [74.98.xx.xx] but Client says [192.168.0.101]

the idea is to stop being lazy and try to fix issues with this kind of stuff i have been going through this for months! i am paying for the 7 Mbps package and that is all I have been getting!

by xxHopefulxx on ‎11-03-2010 09:05 PM

I'm a bit confused and mad here.  I have had Verizon home phone for over 10 years now, but we still can't get DSL or any type of broadband through Verizon.  Apparently the lines are outdated so DSL can't be supported so we are forced to use dial up.  Now why does Verizon insist on upgrading their already fast lines in the main cities.  Because I don't live that far out from town, and I have neighbors to both of my sides, so population density should not be an issue because I know people who live in the middle of nowhere but still have DSL.  I think it's very dumb and inconsiderate of Verizon to be doing this and just leave their customers out to dry.  Apparently we aren't as important as the other people.  But, if theres any chance that Verizon is planning to upgrade lines in smaller residential areas please post on here, because no one is telling me anything about when and if DSL will ever be available.

by on ‎11-04-2010 02:42 PM

xxHopefulxx,

We appreciate having you as a Verizon home phone customer for more than 10 years, and we'd like to see if it's possible to offer you Verizon broadband.  Please send me a Private Message in the Forums with your home address, including ZIP code, and your home phone number, and we'll look into it for you.

Bill

by xxHopefulxx on ‎11-06-2010 11:38 PM

I sent you a private message two days ago and still no reply?

by on ‎11-08-2010 05:31 PM

xxHopefulxx,

Our engineering staff checked on DSL availability at your residence, and unfortunately, your home is 31,000 feet from the nearest DSL-enabled switching and transmission facility, so it's not available. Since we began offering DSL in 1998, we've steadily expanded the availability of service.  Today, it's available to slightly more than 80 percent of all residences served by Verizon in small communities, mid-sized villages, large suburbs and major metropolitan areas. Due to the distance factor of DSL that requires residences to be located generally within 18,000 feet from a DSL-enabled central office, we're not able to serve all of our customers.  In many cases, the proximity of residences in very small towns -- often with fewer than 1,000 residents total -- are able to order our DSL service because of the clustered nature of certain cities we serve and how central offices serve multiple cities.  So contrary to what many believe, we serve many very, very small communities with DSL.  We'd like to serve as many of our customers with broadband Internet as possible, and we'll continue to steadily expand the reach for both our DSL and our fiber-optic based FiOS Internet service.

Bill
Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements