Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS

BBC AMERICA HD Now on FiOS TV

by on ‎08-16-2012 08:08 AM

BBC AMERICA logo.jpgGreat news! As of today, BBC AMERICA HD is now available on FiOS TV!

Many of you have shown interest in this high-def channel and now it’s here. You can find it on FiOS TV Channel 689 (BBC AMERICA is in standard-definition on Channel 189), in FiOS TV’s Extreme HD and Ultimate HD packages.

The launch comes right in time for the premiere of BBC AMERICA’s newest series, “Copper,” which airs this Sunday, Aug. 19 at 10 pm ET/PT.  Other popular BBC AMERICA programs include “Dr. Who,” “Top Gear,” “The Graham Norton Show” and the miniseries “The Hour” and “Luther.”

We’ll be adding BBC AMERICA HD to FiOS TV Video on Demand soon, so keep a look out for that. In the meantime, enjoy the new HD channel and keep a look out here for other channel launches coming soon.

Comments
by ‎08-16-2012 08:32 AM - edited ‎08-16-2012 08:58 AM

Heather, thanks for the BBC America HD update.   I can watch it in HD now.

I appreciate your updates on upcoming new adds.  If you remember back in June of this year you said "We have plans in place to add more HD this year, and I will certainly keep you updated." and later "that plans are in the works to launch more HD channels in the coming months and I certainly expect to see them by October. As soon as I have more details, I will share them here."  You were right on, and two months early on  BBC America HD!  Keep us inform when  you can with the availability of any new channel/programming adds.  Great programming to look forward to!

Thank you,

johnf2

VHO8

by Chet-NYC on ‎08-16-2012 09:16 AM

Definitely great news for Fios.

Okay, here's some more HD we should see:

NASA HD

CSpan HD

BBC World News HD

Cartoon Network HD

Bloomberg HD (so much better than CNBC)

H2 HD

The other thing, I notice we have NHK World and Al Jazeera English-  how about moving them into the 100-120 channel range to be with the other news channels?

by leglessmoof on ‎08-16-2012 09:20 AM

Sweet!  Now the only other HD channel I'm looking for is The Comcast Network (Philadelphia).

by dylank on ‎08-16-2012 10:13 AM

For the love of god (or xenu, or whoever)

Cartoon Network HD would be lovely

BBC America is a great start to those missing crisp channels.

by on ‎08-16-2012 10:27 AM
what is the status of beINSport USA 1, Directv and Dish network launched the channel yesterday!!
by on ‎08-16-2012 10:32 AM

Pac-12 Los Angeles Network and Time Warner SportsNet for your California customers please!

by on ‎08-16-2012 10:55 AM
Yea!!!! Thank you Verizon but please do not stop there. You have at least 6 more HD MUST ADDS; Cartoon HD, beIN Sports (both channels), H2, TMC and G4.
by on ‎08-17-2012 01:44 AM

Chet-NYC - I can't help being curious.   What have you found on CSpan that you'd want to see in HD?  

I agree that all the news stations should be grouped together.  And I would add Current to your list.

by sister2 on ‎08-17-2012 10:07 AM

Happy to see progress, thank you :smileyvery-happy:
TCM HD  would be  a *wonderful* addition :smileywink:

by seanoduill on ‎08-17-2012 03:56 PM

Woo-hoo!  This is great news.  With the next Doctor Who season approaching, I just did my annual check to see if there was any new info on getting BBC America HD up on FIOS.  Delighted to find that in fact I should find it waiting for me when I get home.

by on ‎08-17-2012 04:42 PM

Thank you for all of the great feedback! I'll make sure to share your other channel suggestions with the team here.

Heather

by Geo25 on ‎08-18-2012 02:21 PM

You guys should send this out as a message or in an email because I had no idea this channel was in HD until I decided to record something on the channel and just noticed the HD symbol next to the show.

When I had DirecTV they use to put the new channel announcement in the actual guide so you wouldn't miss it. Maybe do something like that.

by on ‎08-18-2012 09:44 PM

I do not recall seeing a message announcement on the STB or DVR. But thanks, I read the forums.

by on ‎08-19-2012 01:29 PM

Heather thanks now I only have one other must that I am waiting for TCM HD  please add that to the list it sure is time that us non sports crazy people get some HD channels - I know lots are waiting for Cartoon HD and comcast network HD (which by the way is the only sports channel I would like to see in HD being a  big Flyers fan)

VHO 8 Here (delaware)

by on ‎08-19-2012 07:06 PM

Heater,  we need more "entertainment" adds.  I also would like TCM HD.  A lot claim its all SD, not  true, I've seen TCM HD on my neighbor's Comcast system and the widescreen movies shown in windowboxes in SD looks great in HD widescreen. We can't ignore the quality of older movies.TCM shows a lot of movies never release on DVD, many of which were in widescreen.

Lots of sports has been added...now we need entertainment adds. Thanks again.

johnf2

by ‎08-20-2012 12:36 PM - edited ‎08-20-2012 12:37 PM

Just as a reminder. Some of these additional channel requests have been made on the Ideas Forum. Perhaps it may help to go there and do a search for your requested channel, and add your vote. Realizing it does take quite some time for things to happen, or for channels to be added, if the numbers are higher for a given channel, it makes that channels stand out in the requests. One of the issues I have seen is when someone adds an idea with a number of channel requests lumped together. It makes it hard or imposible to fulfill that request. It is better if you go to the Ideas forum and make individual requests. So if you find no request for your content, please add the request.

Here is a Link to the Channel (TV Content Request) section of the Ideas Forums.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/idb-p/ideas/label-name/fios%20tv%20conten...

Sample Search for TCM when in the Ideas Forum Content Catagory. The Catagories for Ideas can be found on the right side bar.

Vote for TCM HD here.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Turner-Classic-Movies-HD/idi-p/236499

by ndhir on ‎08-20-2012 03:37 PM

Thanks for the update Heather. Do you have an update on beIN Sports? This is a must have as all the relevant soccer content has moved to this channel and FIOS does not offer it.

by Juj1664 on ‎08-20-2012 10:25 PM

At last - this is great news! I get the Extreme HD package over Prime just for this and Fox Soccer HD

by ‎10-09-2012 01:12 AM - edited ‎10-09-2012 01:14 AM

Would be nice to see FUNimation Channel HD added as well.  Still a bit annoyed at Verizon FiOS for pulling the SD channel for no good reason from their lineup.

But don't get me wrong... I do like that you FINALLY added BBC America HD after it being the #1 voted idea on the forums and sitting there for about 2 years or so.  I hope you get to the #2 voted idea of FUNimation Channel HD a bit faster than that.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements