• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements

Broadband Speed: Households Served By FiOS Can Enjoy It All

by ‎05-09-2012 06:46 PM - edited ‎05-10-2012 04:30 PM

800px-High-speed.jpg

It’s always great to be favorably recognized.  When a big tip of the cap comes (like it did this week) from the public at large, however, the honor is all the more humbling and meaningful.

It’s not every day that a large base of consumers rates your flagship service - in this case Verizon FiOS - as the nation’s highest rated and widely available TV, Internet and phone bundle provider in a nationally recognized third-party consumer publication.

FiOS Internet, first offered in August 2004, recently surpassed the 5 million customer mark (that’s a 36 percent penetration in areas where service is offered).

FiOS TV, introduced in September 2005, now serves 4.4 million customers (a 32 percent penetration in markets where our video service is offered), and FiOS Digital Voice customers are enjoying the crystal clear quality that results from our all fiber-optic network delivered all the way to residences unlike our chief competitors.

Over the years, FiOS has racked up a long list of accomplishments.  Yet, it’s often the very words of our own customers that produce our biggest smiles.  Take for instance, these words from one of our newest FiOS customers.

“…The first thing I noticed was that nothing, and I do mean nothing, prepares you for browsing the web at 152/62 (Verizon's published specification is 150 Mpbs down and 35 Mbps up). It is so fast, well ... if have an older computer or you have a slow graphics card, you will feel like you hit the limits of your hardware before you hit the limits of the bandwidth. The speed is truly mindboggling. You may wonder if you need that much speed. Time is money – you do!

The next thing I noticed was the FiOS user interface. I've seen it many, many times before, but I've never spent the night with it. It makes the Time Warner Cable user interface feel very old and irrelevant. On the other hand the FiOS user interface is feature-laden and completely intuitive…”

Thanks to the infrastructure of our 100 percent fiber-optic network, our FiOS customers don’t have to make trade-offs as they do with many of our competitors.  Households served by FiOS can enjoy it all even as more devices in the same residence are simultaneously connected to the Internet for work, education and play.

With FiOS in the home, apartment or condo, family members can game online using Internet connected consoles; students can stream high definition videos and do online research for homework; moms and dads can video conference with associates; and other family members can download and upload large video files – all at the same time, all without skipping or missing a beat.

More than half of all the 5 million FiOS Internet customers already use more than 20 mbps downstream speed.  This comes as no surprise to us as more bandwidth-intensive applications are introduced, and used, monthly which require higher Internet speeds.

Later this year, we’ll further align the broadband speeds we offer with the increasing need consumers have for even more bandwidth.

When we introduce faster consumer broadband service, we’ll offer window-rattling, unparalleled bandwidth speed that would be illegal on some highways.  In many cases, our new speeds will be considerably faster than what exists in the industry today.

We’re thankful to all our loyal FiOS customers.  Your candid feedback is always welcomed.  And equally true, your input drives us to make the best combination of broadband, TV and phone service even better.

Comments
by findbenjamin on ‎05-11-2012 02:05 PM

That's great press!  Hopefully that means Verizon will consider expanding its footprint - especially in Wilmington, DE.  Unfortunately I can't get a straight answer from the local office as to when, if ever, Fios will be run into the area.  If anyone at Verizon is able to expound, that would be fantastic.

Thank you

by on ‎05-11-2012 07:20 PM

@findbenjamin Can you please send me your residential address to william.kula@verizon.com so I can have engineering/operations check on FiOS for you in Wilimgton. We're still deploying FiOS to another apx. 1.5 mm households -- chiefly along the Eastern Seaboard as we work our way to a previously announced 18 mm single and multi-dwelling households served with FIOS.  When we reach that stage, we'll review the bidding and make decisions about further fiber deployment. Right now, apx. 1 in every 3 households that CAN get FiOS Internet or FiOS TV, has it. -- Bill Kula

by on ‎05-11-2012 08:41 PM

I hope verizon will expand its 150/35 to existing bundle customers that have had service since 2005, or before. 35/35 is here, or should I say 42.57Mb/s / 35.07Mb/s?

Please upgrade your hardware for existing customers too. Montgomey County, Maryland.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements