Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements

Connections, Food Fights and the Competitive Internet Ecosystem

by Employee ‎01-12-2012 12:02 PM - edited ‎01-12-2012 05:17 PM

Here at CES, it’s a mad house.  I walked the floor Wednesday with thousands of my closest friends, looking for “the next big thing.”

I found something better.

Thousands of gadgets, hundreds of e-tools, and scores and sores of connected devices.  With some pride I noted how much of consumer electronics this year are part of the 4G LTE ecosystem, an ecosystem that wouldn’t exist to this advanced degree without Verizon’s network innovation.

Meters, wireless cameras, handsets, tablets – if you wanted a common theme at this year’s show – “connections” would be what I would say.

But my big find wasn’t that, it was bigger, better.

It was competition.  Phones are computers. Tablets are TVs. Electric meters are phones.  Every one, every innovation competes for the consumer’s attention, to solve a customer’s problem. 

This year I’ve read some reporters were lamenting that big players like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple have either limited, diminishing, or zero presence at CES.  It seems there aren’t enough “big boys” spoon-feeding us “the next big thing.”

How sloppy, untidy, and time consuming is that for today’s tech beat reporter?

Sure, this competitive marketplace isn’t a pretty picture.  It’s more like an elementary school cafeteria food fight.  Lots of noises, new kids chuck stuff, old kids chuck stuff, and everyone wonders what might stick to the wall.

Big and small, old and new;  tech companies are chasing one another -- all fighting for the consumer’s attention.  It’s a mad, mad, mad world. No brown paper packages wrapped up with string.  More like a mosh pit of competitors slamming away at and with each other.

CES is exhibit A. The environment Verizon and the scores of other tech companies who build the devices, apps, networks and tools that define our modern lives is viciously competitive.

It isn’t tidy, it isn’t always pretty, but it is a fact.  And if anyone doesn’t see that, they need to come to Vegas.

Comments
by on ‎01-13-2012 07:01 PM

Isn't the 4G LTE ecosystem part of the wireless system, and NOT the Residential Community. Is the plan to really dump FiOS to the house  expansion and run everything backwards over the air waves? Sad state of affairs IMHO. It may have a place, but I don't like the idea in residential services. Just me.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements