Customers With Disabilities

Consumers Are Driving Smarter Energy

by Employee on ‎01-11-2012 11:37 AM

In addition to the myriad big, loud booths, wildly dressed presenters, and the sheer volume of humanity weaving through it all, the Consumer Electronics Show also hosts a variety of tech-centric panel discussions. I’ll sit-in on a few before the show is over.

One of the panels I attended discussed “Consumer Demand for Energy as a Service.” Broadband has opened the home energy market beyond traditional utility companies and energy service providers, the discussion highlighted. Panelists discussed barriers to effective use and deployment of smart meters, raising consumer awareness around energy, all while keeping it simple and easy.

“It’s not about sophistication. It’s about making it easy and simply while delivering what the customer wants,” said Ann Shaub, director of product management for Verizon, who was one of the panelists. 

In October of 2011, Ann and her team helped make Verizon the first major Internet service provider to offer a smart home service on a mass scale. The panelists, which included CEOs and CTOs from companies like SmartLabs and Blue Line Innovations, seemed to agree that raising consumer awareness of the price of energy and how simple decisions based on individual lifestyles and preferences will help adoption of the connected home.

The entry into the market from “brands that consumers trust, brands that they have a relationship with,” will help drive smart energy adoption, explained Blue Line Innovations CEO Peter Porteous.

The utility companies also need to get in the game, explained GE’s Jonathan “J.T.” Thompson. (Think smart meters, with consumers empowered and data informing everyone's decision making.) A company like Verizon which operates in numerous states cannot create unique product and service offerings that comply with each state, the panelists agreed. There need to be universal standards.

“There’s also a huge mobile component,” said Leon Hounshell, division general manager, home solutions, for Motorola Mobility.

Interestingly, Verizon has seen that nearly 60% of its Home Monitoring and Control users access the service via mobile devices.

The panelists also discussed recent announcements of new offerings and competitors, and how that impacts the budding space.

“I think it’s (competition) is all good,” said Verizon’s Ann Shaub. “It’s all about raising awareness of the space and the possibilities and ultimately raising consumer interests.”

To learn more about Verizon’s smart home service, visit the shop and learn website

Comments
by ‎01-13-2012 07:35 PM - edited ‎01-13-2012 07:36 PM

Might be more interested if there was more integration into existing investments, and more than 5 devices on your sales display wall. I have a dead bolt on my door. Is Verizon also gon't to provide alarm monitoring for that $10, when that one lock does not latch, and I come home to an empty house. Need to expand the product line a bit. I can turn lights off when I leave, and I own a camera system.

I have not checked but do these apps run on more than just Verizon wireless phones?

by Employee on ‎01-16-2012 02:50 PM

Hello again, prisaz. The current home monitoring and control offering is a foundation upon which a lot more funcationality will be built, so stay tuned!  To your point, the piece parts of this service have been available for a while, but what Verizon has done is integrate it for easy of use. We've created an easy, multi-screen user interface. And in these cost-conscious times, it's important to note that Verizon is selling many of the items for less than available elsewhere. 

To answer your last question: You can use any provider, but (and I'm biased): Everything works better on Verizon's networks.

by on ‎01-16-2012 07:54 PM

I am referring to the devices. Like I have cameras. What if someone has there own hardwired door monitoring and control, what if someone would like to use their own, or a different lighting relay. Everything seems to be based on proprietary Verizon hardware. Can we get the Yes I am also biased in regards to the network. I have been a Verizon Internet customer for a very long time. Dial up, ISDN, ADSL, and now FiOS that rocks.

I would just like to see the ability to use our own hardware for some of us that do not need you to dumb it down so much. Being in the EMCS business for 15 years, I would not consider these devices for my personal use. Way to limiting. Almost like before BacNet, or Semi Open LON Talk which requires a license and neuron chip for each device. But then again I am talking commercial control systems.

Ok I see you have expanded. But How about a few items like replacement wall switches for existing lighting.

I have a few non IP cameras and a CCTV DVR PC that work quite well.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bill Kula

Director -- Media Relations

Photo of Bill Kula

Bill oversees the Verizon telecom customer experience, consumer bundles, DSL, e-commerce and small business. He helps customers learn about efficient ways to manage their Verizon services.

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools