Customers With Disabilities

Countdown to Sochi 2014: Olympic Sports Fans Have a New FiOS TV Friend in Universal Sports HD

by Employee ‎10-21-2013 09:26 AM - edited ‎10-17-2013 08:29 PM

Universal Sports Cover Photo Fall 2013.jpg

The 100 Day countdown to the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games will take place Oct. 29.  Already, many compelling stories about the games’ athletes and the Russian venue itself are starting to surface.

Before you know it, the snowy spectacle will be here, and millions of people around the globe will anxiously watch athletes compete on behalf of their country.  As a huge sports fan, I love watching the Olympics not just for the competitive drama, but to learn about what motivates world-class athletes to lay it all out on the line.

As the Winter Games approach, we’re pleased to have recently added the Universal Sports Network to our FiOS TV lineup.  Universal Sports, which airs the most year-round, Olympic-related programming of any network, also features endurance and adventure sports programming, can be seen on FiOS TV channel 596 HD by our FiOS TV Ultimate customers.  In the coming months, customers will be able to watch Universal Sports on a variety of portable devices outside the home.

Universal Sports HD is also available to all FiOS TV customers as part of Sports Pass, a premium content package of a dozen networks spanning a wide array of sports for $9.99 a month.

If you’re into watching winter sports such as Alpine skiing, snowboarding, bobsled, skeleton, figure skating or curling, you’re going to enjoy Universal Sports and its world class events that raise the stakes for our FiOS TV sports offering.

And when winter events aren’t on the network, you’ll be able to watch many of the world’s best athletes competing in countless other sports including cycling, rugby, beach volleyball, marathons, triathlons, gymnastics and multiple water sports.

Comments
by ‎10-22-2013 09:27 AM - edited ‎10-22-2013 09:28 AM

While Universal Sports HD is a welcomed addition I would have much rather seen H2 HD added!!!!!! Rather pathetic that Verizon is the ONLY major carrier in the country that does NOT carry H2 in HD.

I am hearing rumblings that TV Land HD and Oxygen HD are being added. Boooooo!!! More mind numbingly stupid phony reality shows and old tv show reruns that was never filmed in HD to begin with. How about the channels we actually want?

And while you are at it, no more .tv channels, ever!!!!!

by Employee on ‎10-22-2013 12:58 PM

@Bobbo527 - I'll check with our video content/acquisition team re: H2 HD, and I've not heard of TV Land and Oxygen in HD, but will check on that for you as well.

And tell me how you REALLY feel about no more .tv channels! Feedback like yours is important, and it's appreciated.

by on ‎10-23-2013 08:02 PM

Add me to the .tv channels hate club!  Gosh I hope Verizon did not pay more than 1 cent / month for the channels.

And by the way great ...another Ultimate only or pay extra sports channel.  I guess I be watching some olympic coverage from the web instead of paying extra for US HD when I would only watch it for Olympics.

by on ‎10-23-2013 08:18 PM

For Bill:  In VHO5: channel 644 Oxygen HD and 741 TV Land HD look good.  Thanks more HD, but I also would like to see H2 HD also.  Finally http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiostv is a very useful forum you may want to check threads regularly.

by Employee on ‎10-24-2013 12:34 PM

@ and @

Not ready to discuss in any detail, but we're working to add TV Land HD and Oxygen HD to our lineup fo customers.  If and when that happens, and we sure hope it does given customer input, we'll share the news directly in this At Home blog section of the VZ Forums. 

As to H2 in HD, we don’t have any near or medium term plan to launch it, nor do we plan to offer additional .TV networks.

by on ‎10-24-2013 10:49 PM

I guess I should been more clear TV Land HD and Oxygen HD are avaiable now in VHO 5.  I've been or I should my wife has been watching them mostly since yesterday.  Regardless the HD picture quailty as usual is great.  

by ‎10-31-2013 12:19 PM - edited ‎10-31-2013 12:22 PM

Bill while is it good news about no more .tv channels it is incredibly disappointing that H2 is not coming!!!!!!!!! Sorry but TV Land HD and Oxygen HD are crap. As I said, old tv re-runs that were never filmed in HD and more mind numbingly stupid "fake, scripted" reality shows do not make me all warm and fuzzy.

The fact Verizon is the ONLY major carrier in the continental United States NOT to carry H2 in HD is really rather pathetic.

by bramweiser on ‎11-03-2013 07:05 PM

@Bill_Kula

Respectfully, it's great that Verizon is adding (or, in the case of Universal Sports, re-adding) channels like Universal Sports & beinSport to its roster!  However, I'm concerned that these additions are happening, for the most part, in two (2) ways:

* ...to the Ultimate tier only

* ...as HD only

I encourage you and your FiOS colleagues to please add these channels (and others like them) to tiers like Extreme, and to also add SD channels in addition to the HD ones that you're adding.

Extreme customers like me also deserve to see additional channels of interest and quality like these be added to our service as well (instead of seeing things like ESPN Classic being removed from our tier and moved to the more expensive Ultimate tier).  Not only that, but, specifically, Universal Sports, when it aired as part of WNBC's digital service, was available to us yet, now, unfortunately, Verizon has decided to not make it available even though it's being re-added to the platform.

Also, not everyone has an HD set, and recording programs from an HD channel takes up MUCH more space in a DVR than an SD program would.

Please reconsider these approaches, and I hope that you and your colleagues will please change them as I've asked.

Thanks,

Bram Weiser

by on ‎11-09-2013 12:57 PM

"Universal Sports, when it aired as part of WNBC's digital service, was available to us yet, now, unfortunately, Verizon has decided to not make it available even though it's being re-added to the platform."

To clarify the above... No NBC took the Over -the-Air FREE Universal Sports and decided they could make more $$$ buy selling it as a cable channel. After more thought I'm actually glad Verizon did not cave-in to NBC's greed and jackup the price of Extreme by adding Universal Sports.

I think more people at least the vocal ones like me who tend to post at forums, want all the channels in HD if available.  All the modern set top boxes covert HD channels to SD for SD only TVs.  

by Tibi on ‎11-25-2013 12:20 PM

Hi.

We have the Universal Sports channel as part of FIOS SPort package. We cannot sign-up for the online Universal Sports services as FIOS is not lsited as a provider. I have been sending emails and call Universal Sbut but made no progress. Their 1-818- number goes directly to voice mail and the 1-800 number is not active (?!) Any suggestions?

by bramweiser on ‎12-01-2013 10:46 PM

@thetick1234,

Thanks for responding to my post but, firstly, while, yes, a set-top box WILL show an HD channel in SD, a DVR will STILL record an HD signal so as to take up more space inside it, and that's my concern.

If an HD-only channel (like Universal Sports) were available in SD as well, then one could DVR the SD channel instead of gambling that a DVR'd HD program won't overload the limited hard-drive space there.

BTW, apparently (and thank you, Verizon, if this is true), Universal Sports HD is indeed(!) available now on the Extreme tier.  That's a lovely surprise.

Thanks,

Bram Weiser

by on ‎12-01-2013 11:05 PM

Don't get too excited bramweiser.  There are comments about a free preview for Universal Sports HD running right now.  Come Feb 1st you might have to upgrade to Ultimate or add the $9.99 Sports Pass to continue to recieve the channel.

An offical response from Verizon is desired please?

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bill Kula

Director -- Media Relations

Photo of Bill Kula

Bill oversees the Verizon telecom customer experience, consumer bundles, DSL, e-commerce and small business. He helps customers learn about efficient ways to manage their Verizon services.

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools