Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Customers Can Now Buy Games from the Online Verizon Games Library

by ‎10-14-2010 10:42 AM - edited ‎10-14-2010 10:45 AM

gamehead.JPGIn today’s guest blog post, Verizon Games Product Manager Jason Henderson talks about the popularity of PC gaming and the newest feature of the Verizon Games library – the ability to purchase favorite game titles.

Verizon set out a couple of years ago to offer as broad a selection of games as we could manage through the online PC platform. Today, Verizon Games boasts the world’s largest online games library, with more than 1,800 games representing every genre -- from kids’ games like “Clifford the Big Red Dog” and “Jumpstart” to casual games like “Poppit! To Go” and “Luxor” to hardcore games like the “Tomb Raider” series.

These aren’t demos or limited versions.  We stock our library with the full title, the kind that you’d purchase in a store or by downloading. If you subscribe, you get every game in the library and can play as long as you remain a member.

Our subscriptions have been a big success, but we also try to respond when customers demand new features.  So, this week we’ve added the ability to purchase individual titles and, as you go through the library, you’ll see that many titles will now offer a purchase option. We did this because users told us that, while many enjoyed subscribing and having a library to choose from, many others preferred to purchase one game at a time. Many a la carte games come with a one-hour free trial, so you can try the game first.

But wait! I hear you saying. Are you talking about PC gaming? Isn’t most gaming today through the console? Not at all—in fact if you think about it, you’re probably a PC gamer already.

For several years Verizon has witnessed something that people inside the gaming industry know but which hasn’t received much media coverage – the gaming community is huge and quite diverse. When we think “games,” our first thought is of teenaged boys playing “Call of Duty,” and that’s a big deal. We call that hardcore gaming, and it certainly gets a lot of attention. The release of a new hardcore game these days is announced like the release of a major motion picture.

But everyone plays games, and when it comes to playing games on the computer, the largest group of players is women. The Consumer Electronics Association says women are playing casual games like any of the seemingly endless “Diner Dash” series, and puzzle games like “Luxor.”

computergames.jpg

Consider: Many people turn to a game console to play games, but PC gaming offers something more – access and convenience.  People tend to be at their computers on and off all day for work, study or personal business. They can turn to gaming to blow off steam or even to kill some time between tasks. You know who else plays games? Kids play computer games.  Go into any library and you’ll see pre-teens playing “Jumpstart” educational games or “Reader Rabbit” (two series, by the way, that we have in the Verizon Games library).

Try this: Go to http://verizongames.com, where you can download the game player for free and play for seven days without having to sign up.

I’m eager to hear what Verizon customers have to say about our games, and I hope you’ll share your suggestions and thoughts in the Comments section below this post or in the Verizon forums.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411