Customers With Disabilities

FCC Looks Into TV Sports Channel Access

by Employee ‎07-16-2009 10:56 AM - edited ‎10-23-2009 01:18 PM

Readers of Policy Blog will know that Verizon recently asked the FCC to look into the refusal by Cablevision to make NY pro sports games available to FiOS TV.  Now USA Today is reporting that the FCC will take up the issue and whether or not big cable companies that own venues or teams have the right to keep their games off of a competitor's TV service.  Some big cable companies are using a loophole in federal regulations to deny access to sports programming, in the Cablevision case HD sports programming.  Obviously, this is programming that is important to many TV watchers, and we think viewers should be able to see their home-town teams irrespective of which TV service they use.

We’ll keep you posted on developments.

Comments
by on ‎07-16-2009 05:21 PM

I've been thru the same fright between Verizon and MSG years ago when I had DirectTV ad lived in teh Philadelphia Area.  Comcast which owns the Flyers and Sixers Venue had refused to allow them to carry Comcast Sportsnet.  They claimed a Terristial Loophole and never made it available.

It was a big deterent for many people to leave Comcast and goto DirectTV.

One of the many reasons why I was very happy to jump from the Comcast Wagon as soon as FIOS was available in my area...

by on ‎07-20-2009 03:10 PM
Yea lets hope the FCC decides on much less than what Verizon gives them as 5 months . What are Verizon's chances getting this FCC to grant MSG HD when it denied the same for AT&T and COX Channel 4 in San Diego between UVERSE TV and COX Cable,
by Employee on ‎07-21-2009 11:45 AM

We think the FCC will be interested in the impact on competition of big cable's behavior.  Of course, we'll see....

Eric

by on ‎08-29-2009 02:37 PM

Any update on this Eric, I think a decsion will be made after Labor Day and after the FCC and Congress gets back from their "recess" breaks.Also after that will start the NHL Preseason, unless they vote by October when the  NHL Season starts, but then you have NBA Preseason, while that starts in November. I don't see them wasting anytime in making a decision far into the season, I think it will be now, which will be 2 months after you filed (July 8) - on Sept 8 or around there. Someone on the DSL reports site hinted that the RSNs are expected on FIOS in HD before the end of the year, lets hope on that . What is the update on NBA TV HD , is that coming ?

Thanks

Billy Burgess

billymets@aol.com

Staten  Island NY 10309

by on ‎10-05-2009 02:06 PM

AS we are closing on 2 months left on the FCC Decision (62 days) , what is the latest on this ?

by hdfee on ‎12-16-2009 10:09 PM

I wonder if verizon gets msghd will this be part of the extreme hd package?  iT seems this is the way forward? 

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bill Kula

Director -- Media Relations

Photo of Bill Kula

Bill oversees the Verizon telecom customer experience, consumer bundles, DSL, e-commerce and small business. He helps customers learn about efficient ways to manage their Verizon services.

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools