Customers With Disabilities

FiOS Internet Allows For Higher Quality Streaming To Broadband Enabled Devices

by Employee ‎01-05-2010 12:14 PM - edited ‎01-07-2010 03:07 PM

dan_rayburn.JPG

Here on the Verizon at Home blog, we focus on letting you know about what Verizon is up to, and most posts describe new developments in FiOS, High Speed Internet or other Verizon products and services. But we also want to bring you perspective from outside Verizon.  The most obvious way that happens is in the comment section that accompanies each post. When our readers comment, they frequently add new information or new perspectives to posts or other comments.

From time to time, however, we'd like to offer observations of experts in various fields that we think readers here would like to see. So we're planning to add guest blogs.  The first is below from Dan Rayburn, Principal Analyst at Frost & Sullivan and EVP at StreamingMedia.com, who is an expert in the area of online video. Let us know what you think and make sure to check out the video below of Dan discussing FiOS Internet and streaming content.

As a Principal Analyst at Frost & Sullivan and EVP at StreamingMedia.com, my job is to consume as much online video as possible via broadband connected devices and then write about what I am seeing in the market on my blog at BusinessOfVideo.com. Every day I'm streaming video content to devices and platforms like the Xbox 360, Roku, TiVo, VUDU, PS3, Sling Pro HD, PS3 and various broadband enabled TVs and Blu-ray players.

While I've tracked the business, technology and content of online video for the past fifteen years for my job, at the same time, I'm a consumer, just like everyone else. For the past three years, I've had FiOS Internet at my home and frankly, I can't think of another technology innovation over that time that has had such an impact on how I work and how I use the Internet as a consumer.

While many in the online video industry want to talk about how it is hard to deliver high-quality video or even HD quality video to consumers, viewers like myself don't have any problems thanks to FiOS. I don't have problems with the "last mile," don't get video that takes a long time to buffer and have no  problems getting the best video streaming experience possible via all the broadband devices in my home. When Microsoft announced their new 1080p instant on streaming technology on the Xbox 360, some consumers complained they didn't have enough bandwidth to get the best level of quality, or that their videos took longer to buffer due to their slow cable connection. But for me, I was able to stream movies with less than a one second delay, at 1080p quality, all thanks to my FiOS connection. And for devices like VUDU, that require a full 10Mbps to stream movies in their HDX format, which is two times the resolution of other Internet HD video formats, FiOS allows me to do it. Try doing that with a cable connection.

Over the past year, we've seen a lot of new video content offerings announced by companies like Netflix, Amazon and YouTube as they look to directly target the living room via broadband enabled entertainment devices. In addition, as online video offerings from sites like Hulu and the growing market for TV Everywhere services start to get deployed, Verizon's FiOS service will become even more important to the industry. For consumers who have FiOS, content owners will be able to deliver higher-quality content, with a guaranteed QoS, since they know FiOS users have fiber-to-the-home.

While streaming video is a hot topic in the market right now, so is the subject of ISPs capping consumers on how much content they consume each month. Whenever discussions take place about ISPs capping users, it's always from ISPs and networks that have broadband services that were not built to truly handle video. These cable companies never anticipated that their network would have to scale as quickly as is now required or have to carry as much video as they are today. Verizon's FiOS service was built for video from day one, with a focus on pushing as many high-quality bits as possible directly over fiber. For all the talk of capping by ISPs, I can't help but think that none of this would be an issue if everyone had the ability to get Verizon's FiOS service.

Now some might suggest that I love FiOS because Verizon is paying me to write articles or gives me free service. But the fact is, I don't work for Verizon, have never been paid by the company, and am happy to pay out of my own pocket for my FiOS bill every month. Anyone who streams content like Netflix to their TV, downloads videos from iTunes or watches movies from Amazon on their TiVo would happy to do the same as the video quality you get from FiOS beats anything on the market.

For any product or service to be truly adopted by the masses it needs to be easy to understand, affordable, easy to buy and have good support. So far, Verizon truly has all of this with their FiOS service and for anyone who loves streaming and consuming movies, music and games to their PC or via broadband enabled devices, FiOS can't be beat. It is the one Internet offering above anything else that truly has the ability to change the market for content owners who are looking to make it easy for us to consume more content, more often, on more devices, for longer periods and at higher-quality.

I look forward to contributing more posts to the Verizon at Home blog in the coming weeks on Verizon's FiOS service.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bill Kula

Director -- Media Relations

Photo of Bill Kula

Bill oversees the Verizon telecom customer experience, consumer bundles, DSL, e-commerce and small business. He helps customers learn about efficient ways to manage their Verizon services.

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools