• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

FiOS TV Adds 3D Movies on Demand

by on ‎10-29-2010 11:26 AM

family_movies.JPGWe’ve had quite a bit of 3D news to share this year, with the Yankees-Mariners games during the summer and the Giants-Patriots game back in September.  Today we’re announcing even more 3D programming with ten 3D movies on FiOS TV Video on Demand.

Starting Nov. 16 with the premiere of “Cats & Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore,” we’ll feature eight 3D films in November and two more in December.  The other titles are:

November:

• “Chicken Little”
  • “Bolt”
  • “Meet the Robinsons”
  • “Journey to the Center of the Earth”
  • “Under the Sea”
  • “Deep Sea”
  • “NASCAR”

December:

• “Disney’s A Christmas Carol”
  • “Step Up 3D”

You’ll be able to find all of the 3D movies in the “High Definition” VOD folder, under HD 3D and the “Movies” VOD folder under 3D Movies.  Like our other 3D broadcasts, you’ll need FiOS TV, a high-definition set-top box, a 3D television set and the 3D glasses that came along with it to view the 3D movies.

Keep a look out here for more 3D news, and enjoy the movies!

Comments
by mraynelson on ‎11-06-2010 05:31 PM

3D? Really? Does anyone really want this? Does anyone really enjoy the current 3D experience? O love HD, love 7 channel surround; I have my own friggin home theater, for pete's sake. I just don't get the appeal of today's 3D. I often wonder if this is more an example of what the industry insists we'll like, since they can charge a premium for it. Cynical, yes. Still...

by ExTexan on ‎11-06-2010 06:34 PM

@mraynelson - I'm sure a lot of people felt the same way about HD when it was "the latest and greatest".  I'm not all that keen on some of the 3D movies I've seen either, but I watched a demo on a 3D TV yesterday that was a raft trip down the Colorado thru the Grand Canyon.  I have no doubt that would be equally stunning in your home theater.

So to answer your question, yes, some people do want this.

by stevesstein on ‎11-09-2010 02:54 PM

Yes, people do want 3D.  I am one of those people!!  I have FIOS because it's the latest and greatest technology running on fiber optics.  I also have a 3DTV and would expect that FIOS to be a leader and offer not only 3D movies, but 3D TV Channels.  They dropped the ball with the 3D... and are behind Direct TV and Comcast.  I really like FIOS, but am strongly considering changing providers unless Verizon adds 3DTV channels....and quick!

Verizon, can you please give us a timeline on when you expect to offer 3D TV channels?  I'm not really that interested in the movies because I can buy and rent those from other venues.  I really want to see sports and my favorite network shows in 3D.

Thanks!

Steve

by on ‎11-10-2010 03:42 PM

Steve,

Verizon is and will continue to be competitive with the top providers of 3D in the marketplace.  We plan to launch ESPN 3D in 2011 and will continue to look for live sporting events in 3D, like the Yankees-Mariners games we carried regionally in July, the only televised 3D NFL game in September, and a college football game this Saturday (more to come on that in tomorrow’s blog). Although you said you weren't interested in on-demand 3D movies, we think some other 3D customers do like the convenience of on demand, and we're offering 10 3D movies on demand in November and December.

Heather

by Bostonian on ‎12-28-2010 04:05 PM

Heather,

I'm sorry however Verizon has completely dropped the ball when it comes to providing 3d Content to the its subscribers.  For example, DirecTV and Comcast will be caring the NHL Winter Classic game in 3D.  Verizon however, has nothing planned for it.  Concerning ESPN3D, we've heard 2011, how about giving us a date rather then a year?  I do like Verizon for the high picture quality and fast internet speeds, however failing to provide content like ESPN3D and also n3D isn't being competitive. 

by on ‎12-29-2010 03:54 PM

Bostonian,

Verizon has offered as much – if not more – 3D content than our competitors.  We will have ESPN 3D but we don’t have a confirmed date just yet.  That being said, we’ll have about two dozen 3D movies on demand by January, in addition to the sporting events we’ve offered in the last year like the two Yankees-Mariners games, the Versus college football game, and the only televised NFL game in 3D.  

I’ll let you if I hear anything about this NHL Winter Classic game or anything else.

Heather

by mbw72 on ‎12-30-2010 07:43 PM

I've converted plenty of 3D non-believers. The folks who said the glasses make you look dorky are the same ones with the big goofy smile reaching at the screen trying to touch a shark. 

In terms of Verizon's offerings...the baseball games and NFL game were only available to a very specific viewing market.  A dozen or so PPV VOD movies that have only been available for about a month doesn't add up to other providers that have had 3D channels available for several months.  Any provider who offered the World Cup alone would have braodcast 25 games in 3D in the matter of a month.  The deal with Disney to bring ESPN 3D to Verizon customers was completed in early October, yet we still sit with fingers crossed, hoping that you will deliver it in time for the upcoming bowl games and Winter X Games almost 3 months later. 

by Bostonian on ‎01-01-2011 12:38 PM

So here we are on the day of the game of the Winter Classic with zero offering on Fios for 3D.

Per Engadget:

"Whether or not you've been keeping up with HBO's 24/7 episodes, most hockey fans know that the yearly outdoor Winter Classic is scheduled for tomorrow between the Penguins and Capitals, but you may not know it will also be broadcast in 3D (the second one this season.) According to the NHL's page it will be available "worldwide" and we've confirmed Comcast, Cox, DirecTV, Cablevision Shaw and Telus are on the list. They're likely not the only ones, with Versus broadcasting if your provider has a dedicated 3D event channel and the sports network (especially if they broadcast the Oregon/Cal football game earlier this fall) it's a good bet it will be on but we'd check with them first. Here's hoping that next time around (the Heritage Classic game in February will be in 3D too) there's a slightly more coordinated effort to let those who might be interested in watching know where and how to tune in."

So Comcast, Cox, DirectTV, Cablevision, and Telus will be broadcasting, but Fios fails again.  Looks like I will be watching this on Comcast at my friend's house, because FIOS makes empty promises about content.  Thanks again Verizon!  Heather where is that update?  

by rpdcqd on ‎01-01-2011 02:38 PM

....how about the BCS National Championship Game?   That is going to be broadcast in 3d, but not by FIOS it seems.   I second the above comments...FIOS is clearly lagging in the 3D BROADCAST arena, not talking about on-demand children's films.

by edwardhhan on ‎01-03-2011 09:25 AM

we need the bcs championship in 3d.  we already missed out on the fiest bowl!

by Bostonian on ‎01-04-2011 09:01 AM
Heather have you ignored us? Do I need to contact Verizon corporate to report broken promises made by their staff? With zero responses like this, it is tempting to switch back to Comcast. They at least currently carry two full time 3d stations.
by mbw72 on ‎01-04-2011 09:53 AM

"Verizon has offered as much – if not more – 3D content than our competitors. " 

Seriously?  Stop it already.

by on ‎01-04-2011 10:05 AM

Hi, Bostonian,

I'm not ignoring you, but I don't have any more to report than I did in my Dec. 29 comment in this string, which was a week ago.  We will certainly post more 3D news here, including the launch date of ESPN 3D on FiOS TV, when we have it.

Heather

by coneinc on ‎01-06-2011 10:21 PM

mondays the big game and no espn 3d on verizon. im disapointed might have to goto direct tv if verizon can not get there act together with 3d channels

by Eck715 on ‎01-10-2011 03:27 PM

FIOS has totally botched their 3D content and moreso communications regarding 3D content.  Nobody (from on-line & phone support to the people manning the FIOS TV kiosks at certain Verizon stores) has a clue about 3D content.  I didn't find out of the Oregon/Cal game until after the game was played.  I did learn about the replay of this event in 3D via pay-per-view, but only because I went through several channels of support.  Then, it was only on ppv for a week and a half and they pulled it right before Thanksgiving (when I finally had time to watch this and would have been nice to show to family and friends).

How hard would it be to have a dedicated FIOS 3D web page with updates???  I mean come on!  Heather - you'd be a superstar if you could get someone on this.

Perfect example - what about tonights BCS Championship game???  ESPN 3D is broadcasting it in 3D, but absolutely no word if FIOS is broadcasting as a special event or if they'll have it on ppv afterwards again (would be nice, but not as nice as having it LIVE).

by kinney on ‎01-10-2011 07:00 PM

Well, Again after searching everywhere for the last week looking for something telling me Verizon would be telecasting a huge game in 3D...NOTHING!!! Verizon missed the Winter Classic - subscribers and fans complain...NOTHING!!! BCS Championship game - A huge game that Verizon could have used to springboard telecasting in 3D...NOTHING!!! So with that said, I'm taking my Sony glasses to my buddy's house to watch the BCS game on his Sony TV via Comcast!!! Verizon wanted to let you know that Comcast will be broadcasting 24\7 ESPN 3D starting on Feb 14th. You may want to start broadcastinog 3D before you lose another subscriber.

by edwardhhan on ‎01-10-2011 08:41 PM

we're missing it right now!

by on ‎01-11-2011 08:37 PM

Eck715,

Sorry you didn't learn about the Oregon/Cal game in 3D until after the game was played.  We let customers know about it through this blog, a news release and with a message on the IMG for a week.  but we didn't use a dedicated web page, so you might want to submit this idea in the Verizon Idea Exchange in the Verizon Community Forums.  Thank you  for suggesting it.  In the meantime, we will continue to post new information about 3D content  here at the Verizon at Home blog as it becomes available.

Heather

by Eck715 on ‎01-13-2011 09:54 AM

I totally agree with "kinney" and am on the verge of switching back to Comcast and absolutely will (along with all my verizon services - phone and internet and even cut ties with Verizon Wireless) is the Superbowl is not carried live in 3D on FIOS.  If you miss that, you can't call yourselves a communications company.

HEATHER - Please advise on FIOS's plans with regards to the Superbowl in 3D!

by Eck715 on ‎01-13-2011 09:57 AM

HEATHER - Also, as a user, do I really need to search through blogs to get my information?  How can there not be a centralized 3D information source, or at least a way to sign up for email alerts on 3D programming???  I will say, the 3D content on PPV has improved (now about 15 offerings) and another handful via HBO 3D.  But live, sports related content has drastically trailed all competition (DirectTV, Comcast, etc).

by mbw72 on ‎01-17-2011 10:28 AM

I hear the Sony Open from Hawaii looked great in 3D over the weekend.   No worries, only 10 of your competitors carried the broadcast. 

The Winter X Games is in a couple of weeks...now is your chance to retract this statement:

"Verizon is and will continue to be competitive with the top providers of 3D in the marketplace. "

by Eck715 on ‎03-08-2011 09:16 AM

For those following this thread - there's a free UFC on demend event in 3D and its absolutely sick wathcing something like this in 3D.  However, it just makes me urn for more 3D programming content.

Speaking of which, anyone have any idea what happened to all the 3D movies that were on-demand?  They seemed to have gone away under OnDemand>HD>3D???

by on ‎03-08-2011 03:23 PM

Eck715,

You can still find the on-demand 3D movies in the VOD folder.  In the FiOS TV Menu, go to Video on Demand and then click Browse All, then Movies and HD3D Movies. Enjoy!

Heather

by prescoop on ‎05-27-2011 06:47 PM

Bought a new LG 47LW5600 with 3D capabililty. Verizon tech advised me that you can order a 3D VOD movie but you have to watch it in 2D because they don't offer 3D. What gives. 

I can get some silly 3D stuff on the Food channel, but when I try to get it via VOD I just get a double image that would take a cross-eyed monster to see.

So I guess the tech gal was right. i.e. Verizon really doesn't offer 3D movies via VOD.

Or does the left hand not know what the right hand is doing here at least in the Philly area

by Employee on ‎05-31-2011 01:18 PM

prescoop,

Congratulations on getting the new 3D-capable TV -- and sorry that you've received confusing information about whether Verizon FiOS TV offers 3D VOD. We definitely do offer 3D movies on FiOS, but it sounds like you need to adjust your TV to interpret  the split images you're seeing. This is a function found in the TV's settings.  After making that adjustment on your TV, go to the Video on Demand folder in the FiOS guide and click Browse All and then 3D Movies to see what's available.  Here's a link to some more information about getting started with 3D on FiOS.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Guide/TV+Programming/QuestionsOne/128624.htm

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411