• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

FiOS TV: IMG 1.8 Release Notes

by on ‎08-20-2010 11:59 AM

1392i0FD5FE59C967F07B1388i93983881595F653EOur guest blogger today is Joe Ambeault, who is responsible for Verizon’s entertainment products. Joe discusses the most recent release of Interactive Media Guide software, IMG 1.8.  Follow Joe on Twitter @FiOSTV. 

In keeping with our commitment to provide FiOS TV viewers with information about modifications and enhancements to their service, we are providing release notes for version 1.8 of the Interactive Media Guide software for your FiOS TV DVR and set-top boxes.  We’ve begun deploying IMG 1.8, and it will be delivered into subscribers’ homes nationwide in the coming weeks.

You may have read some reports this week about IMG 1.9, which will be out later this year.  See below for highlights of what’s ahead. This post is about the new 1.8 version of the IMG and is intended to summarize the release notes we use internally in language us mere mortals can understand. 

IMG 1.8 is a feature release and is almost entirely focused on video on demand.  There are minor changes to how we handle guide data and some corrections to software issues.  But most of the enhancements are focused on scaling the FiOS On Demand platform to accommodate the growing number of users, their increasing activities on the service and our future plans for evolving the On Demand service.  For the most part, these enhancements will be transparent to you initially, but become very apparent over the coming weeks and months. 

Our next generation On Demand infrastructure paves the way for a dramatically larger library of content that grows faster than ever before.  This is accomplished with a new hierarchical storage and streaming architecture that leverages Verizon’s nationwide long-haul backbone network.  This network’s capacity is not measured in megabits or even gigabits; rather this network provides terabits and terabits of capacity across the entire country.  Employing this massive network means that in addition to watching content stored in a Verizon facility near your home, in some cases you will be watching On Demand content that is stored thousands of miles from your home – all transparent to you and with the same high quality that FiOS TV has always delivered.  In this new environment, we only have to expand one central location’s storage, and every customer gets more On Demand content, compared to today where that same result requires more than one dozen facilities to be upgraded over several months.  With this new architecture, we are looking forward to rocketing the content selection into six-figure land.  And theoretically this new platform could scale to millions of content options over the coming years.

The On Demand experience is also being improved with regards to discovering standard-definition and high-definition titles.  Instead of being presented as two separate titles (i.e. title X in SD and title X in HD) in the IMG, you will see a single title with an option to watch the SD version or the HD version.  No more accidentally selecting standard definition when you intended to enjoy the high definition version.

The second improvement to the On Demand experience is support for multi-room viewing.  With IMG 1.8 you can start watching a movie in the living room and then move to the bedroom and access “Recently Viewed” to continue watching that movie right where you left off. 

Perhaps most exciting about this release is the commissioning of software that enables a completely new paradigm for Verizon FiOS On Demand.  As we progress through the remainder of 2010, the new On Demand capabilities in 1.8 will enable us to further banish the legacy approach that has historically kept content trapped on the television screen.  Get ready for more flexible viewing options, which we will detail in a future blog post.

And last with IMG 1.8 we have made changes to the audio handling.  Some of your reported the audio was “too low” in IMG 1.71, so we implemented a 11 dB gain for IMG 1.8 when heavy dynamic range is selected in the Settings menu.

In these release notes posts we are adding a new section that will highlight features and enhancements planned for the next version of the IMG.  We are including them here, so you know that we have captured your feedback and are working on delivering the capabilities.  However, the disclaimer is that during the normal course of technology development, items are added and removed from scope for a variety of reasons.  So, some of these items may not be included in the next release, while others not represented below could be added.

Sample of What’s Next?

• 3DTV integration over HDMI (set top auto configures your TV)
  • DVR storage expansion (eSATA)
  • 16:9 IMG graphical interfaces
  • New, more TV friendly search
  • Guide data improvements
  • Native MP3 and MPEG-4 support
  • User configurable Widgets dock
  • Parental controls wizards and single household settings
  • On screen remote control low battery indicator

It is our hope that this blog post and the future “release notes” posts will go a long way toward responding to many of your requests for improved visibility into how we develop and operate the FiOS TV service.  These communications are a work in progress as we balance offering a video service in a highly competitive market with maintaining an open dialogue with our customers, so please don’t hesitate to let us know how we are doing.  We may not be able to respond to all of your requests, but are committed to collaborating on a best path forward for all of us. 

Comments
by on ‎08-20-2010 12:05 PM

Another great job! Now this is the type of being informed that I was talking about. It is good to hear current news here, and it will please your customers to stay informed. I don't know what I will do next week when I return to work. I guess I will have to work.

by on ‎08-20-2010 12:55 PM

Excellent post!

by MVP Justin MVP on ‎08-20-2010 01:08 PM

Joe, great first step! Thanks for following up on your promise. And please, please, please keep it up.

by on ‎08-20-2010 01:11 PM

This post is greatly appreciated to not only inform the user community of an upcoming planned release but what we may expect in the future.  Thank you very much for this "road map" and please keep up this type of communication.

Thanks, Jim

by on ‎08-20-2010 01:47 PM

Thank you for not only the release notes, but offically informing the customers that an update is coming.

Carl

by angeloalberico on ‎08-20-2010 06:53 PM

Thanks for the update, we really appreciate this kind of communication.  I'm excited for the features to come (especially the long awaited eSATA of 1.9).

Regarding your mention of audio issues (being too low) and hearing feedback from customers.  First, I'd like to know how *I* can provide feedback to you/FiOS engineers regarding issues.  i'm a very technical person and there are a LOT of bugs with the current crop of DVR/Routers that verizon offers.  Twitter, this forum or is there an actual bug report form somewhere?

Secondly regarding the "audio too low" issue and enabling DRC "Heavy" setting to bring a gain of 11db, I'm assuming/hoping this is to help alleviate the crazy jumps in volume when a program goes from commercial to commercial (especially to a local insert, man those are terrible) I've noticed anywhere from a 6 - 10db jump in volume (especially when it's from a DD audio stream to a stereo/PCM one).  

If I'm understanding this update correctly the logic behind the issue is: the overall volume sounds too low, so we're all turning up our volumes to accommodate this now, and then when the offensive (non normalized local insert commercial comes on) we're all rushing to the remote to turn down the volume so we don't wake up 3/4 of our sleeping household.  So this boost brings up the level of the lower sounding material by 11db so then when the change in volume happens it's not so dramatic?

If i'm mistaken, please let me know, if indeed this does fix this issue, HIGH-FIVE!

However if it does not fix the crazy volume swings, please please please talk to the engineers about this issue, because it's beyond annoying and seems like a simple normalizing fix.

Thank you again.

by ‎08-24-2010 11:35 AM - edited ‎08-24-2010 04:36 PM

angeloalberico,

This is Joe:

Appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us.  It is invaluable.

We have a new tool here in the Verizon Community Forums that enables customers to submit new ideas and report problems.  From this tool you'll be able to track our progress with those suggestions.

Go to the Verizon Idea Exchange here: http://forums.verizon.com/.  We'll talk more about it in a future blog post, but you can use it now.

Unfortunately, DRC does not eliminate the "jumps in volume" when transitioning between the program and commercials, but it does help mitigate the changes.  What you should hear is that neither the program or the commercial ever exceed a maximum value.  But unfortunately you do hear the fact that commercials are traditionally produced with higher average audio levels making them seem louder than the programming with lower average audio levels.  We continue to look at solutions like Dolby Volume to see if we can improve your experience, as simply reducing the peak audio levels is not going to completely remove the issue. 

Joe

by tw9jd5 on ‎08-24-2010 02:32 PM

how come no news on a Mac version of the You Tube and Internet Radio apps??????????

by lnjacobs on ‎09-01-2010 03:01 PM

I just had a very distressing chat with a Verizon Fios Tech through the Online Chat.  When I asked him about the existence of the 1.8 and 1.9 release he denied that they even existed.  I then sent him links to websites regarding same.  He told me that anyone can say anything on the internet.  I then provided him with a link to this website.  Again he denied that even such a thing existed.  I then told him Joe Ambeault himself had announced these details to the media and he again said that it did not exist. 

So is this correct 1.8 will be released at the end of 2010 and 1.9 end of 2011?

I have been a loyal FIOS customer for years now and sing its praises to everyone.  I have been promised external hard drives amongst other things.  It is getting to the point where my contract will soon be up, that I am wondering if I should continue paying for this service......

Hopefully someone out there can convince me otherwise.

Here are selected quotes:

Tech(14:36:19): Unfortunately there is not a firmware to be put in place yet to allow an external hard drive.

Customer(14:36:31): that is the 1.9 release correct?

Customer(14:37:55): also when will i be able to use 802.11n off of you router

Tech(14:38:10): we do not have a 1.9 release

Customer(14:38:43): reports on the internet say that there is a 1.9

Tech(14:39:13): and there not a time or expectation of opening that port to allow for the external hard drive because of copy right infringement issues.

Customer(14:39:19): http://www.laptopdrv.net/2010/08/18/Verizon-fios-set-top-boxes-removing-the-brand-new-hd-beam-outmos...

Tech(14:39:59): they can say all kinds of things on the internet

Customer(14:40:14): Verizon said it

Customer(14:40:16): not anyone else

Tech(14:41:06): that is not a Verizon site

Customer(14:41:13): you want one?

Tech(14:41:43): again I'm sorry but there is not a set date of allowing that ability yet

Customer(14:41:50): give me one second

Customer(14:42:00): when it is from a Verizon press release..... Will you tell me when? LOL

Tech(14:42:55): We have not been told that it will ever be open.

Customer(14:43:10): http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FiOS-TV-IMG-1-8-Release-Notes/ba-p/234356

Customer(14:43:18): well that should make you change your mind

Customer(14:43:52): when will i be able to get the 1.8 image?

Tech(14:45:13): i am skimming through this and do not see any notes of opening up the port to allow a hard drive

Customer(14:45:22): at the bottom

Customer(14:45:24): eSATA

Customer(14:45:51): Director of Product Management Joe Ambeault

Customer(14:46:03): New updates include support for external storage (up to 1TB eSATA per DVR)

Customer(14:47:43): i don't know why you are being so combative here.... saying to me that anything can be said on the internet.....

Customer(14:48:05): all of these links are based off a press conference, private showing Ambeault had here in New York 2 weeks back

Tech(14:48:55): I am not being combative in any way. We have to go by what we are given and told in training they have told us they do not plan on opening up the port to allow for a hard drive, any one can right what they want on the internet i understand it says that on the verizon link you show however i see that typed in the response area

Tech(14:49:11): I can not confirm what someone else says on line

Customer(14:49:16): its not

Tech(14:49:21): i can only tell you what i have been told by my upper management

Customer(14:49:33): its in the box

Customer(14:49:38): Sample of What's Next

Customer(14:49:40): from healther Wilner

Customer(14:49:45): Manager Media-Relations

Customer(14:49:54):

Sample of Whats Next?

3DTV integration over HDMI (set top auto configures your TV)

DVR storage expansion (eSATA)

16:9 IMG graphical interfaces

New, more TV friendly search

Guide data improvements

Native MP3 and MPEG-4 support

User configurable Widgets dock

Parental controls wizards and single household settings

On screen remote control low battery indicator

Customer(14:50:41): so what it comes down to

Customer(14:50:49): you are telling me there is no 1.8 or 1.9 release? correct?

Customer(14:50:54): eventhough 1.8 is in the wild?

Customer(14:51:04): second that there is no wireless N for the router?

Tech(14:51:45): There are always new firmware updates about once a year

Customer(14:51:56): for the router or the tv?

Tech(14:52:01): 1.8 we have no time on when it will be most likely end of this year or start of next year

Tech(14:52:12): 1.9 will probably be the next year

by berkman711 on ‎09-01-2010 03:49 PM

When 1.9 comes out will those of us with 6XXX series DVRs need to exchange them for the 7XXX series ones that have the eSATA port?  Can this be done now to get a jump on the rush or does Verizon have a plan to get everyone updated?

I have been waiting a long time for more storage but given the hardware we have, it may be a much longer wait.

by Employee on ‎09-02-2010 01:52 PM

Injacobs,

I'm the editor of the Verizon at Home blog, so let me jump in here and respond to your questions. I apologize that you got some confusing answers when you talked to us via online chat.  The Verizon at Home blog is an official publication of Verizon, so you can consider what you read here to be up-to-date when it is posted and accurate.

Most of our posts are written by the Verizon employees who you see in the "About the Authors" section of this blog.  Occasionally, we'll have guest bloggers,  but we always let you know who they are with a short bio at the beginning of the blog post. 

As Joe Ambeault wrote in this post, we've begun deploying IMG 1.8 to customers.  I can tell you that the deployment is still underway and will take a number of weeks.  IMG 1.9 is scheduled to be rolled out in the 4th quarter of 2010.

We appreciate your loyalty to FiOS and hope that we've set your mind at ease about our plans.  Thank you for reading our blog.

Regards,

Sharon Cohen-Hagar

Verizon Media Relations

by on ‎09-03-2010 09:54 AM

berkman711,

This is Joe Ambeault responding to your question:

With the software nearly finished, we are establishing the process to deliver the capability to customers who want it.  So there's no action for you to take right now.

Joe

by DRT115 on ‎09-07-2010 10:27 AM

I love my FIOS and I wish they would implement one more thing. Is With there service they have caller ID with the phone service. Why not place it with the TV boxes so you can see who is calling when the phone rings. I always don't keep a phone by me but have one close. So if I can see who is calling on the TV and will have time to get the phone if I want to take the call. I had Dish Network before I switched to FIOS and they offered it. But they had to have a phone line connected to the phone system for it to work. Any improvments are alway welcome especially if they are to provide with customer with more information.

by TKaz on ‎09-07-2010 10:52 AM

OK, So I'm  a little confused....

Will IMG 1.8 enable the use of the eSATA port on the DVR to support the use of third party storage devices or not ?

If so, what is the process for enabling this port and using the storage ?

Thanks !

tk

by on ‎09-07-2010 11:04 AM

DRT115

Caller ID is already available  you just have to enable on your STB   go to Settings >> Caller ID and choose Enable

by on ‎09-07-2010 05:18 PM

Tkaz,

eSATA functionality is coming with IMG 1.9 -- the release that follows 1.8.

Heather

by DRT115 on ‎09-09-2010 12:13 AM

Is there any place on the Verizon web site that  I can look to see what else has been added to the service. About the caller ID I never knew it was already added?

by on ‎09-10-2010 11:27 AM

DRT115,

If you're looking for news about new FiOS features, one of the best places to look is right here on the Verizon at Home blog (verizon.com/athomeblog).  We post regularly about new features, channels and updates to existing services, and even tell you about some new features that are planned.  If you're on Twitter, you can also follow us @Verizon or follow Joe Ambeault, who Tweets @FiOSTV.

Thanks for asking.

Heather

by Max on ‎09-24-2010 09:57 PM

Really appreciate the info. Thanks!

by GWind on ‎09-27-2010 02:11 PM

Everyone needs to root for Google and Apple here, as other TV providers have figured this out, but it seems without easy alternatives, the priority on eSata expansion will be low for our friends at Verizon and the feature will continue to slip.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I love FiOS, but the menus for OnDemand aren't quite intuitive enough."  What I hear is "I love FiOS, but my DVR runs out of space in less than a day."  If Cablevision can figure it out (Cablevision! Ha! -- http://www.ehow.com/how_4920965_expand-cablevision-dvr-storage.html) the smart folks at Verizon can. 

Other than that, thanks for the post and I love the new Android app!  Huge time saver vs. using the DVR to find content and schedule recordings!

by captmcnet on ‎09-30-2010 03:32 PM

I am in the Tampa, Fl service area with FiOS ; Internet, TV, POTS, and Verizon Wireless.

Ours is a two family household, and have 5 digital DVR's and one digital non-DVR box (kitchen area).

The one Kitchen box, and 4 of the 5 DVR's all show ver 1.7.1 .   Tomorrow will be Oct 1st.   When may 

I expect my boxes to be upgraded to ver 1.8 ??

by on ‎09-30-2010 09:03 PM

Where oh where has 1.8 gone, where oh where has it gone?

by ‎10-01-2010 12:08 PM - edited ‎10-01-2010 12:28 PM

captmcnet and prisaz,

Thanks for your questions!  IMG 1.8 is still rolling out, and the next markets will be in 1-2 weeks. 

Joe 

by on ‎10-01-2010 10:31 PM

Thanks for the response. Just wondering. My main STB is a Tivo anyway, unless you can offer one of those long awaited Cisco DVRs and more details than what the support page PDF shows.

by demonstr8r on ‎10-05-2010 09:23 PM
I must say that I am duly impressed that Verizon is taking steps towards improving customer relations, and the "What's Next" list for IMG 1.8 and 1.9 include some welcomed additions. The FiOS app for iPad will be a welcomed addition as well. When are the Cisco STBs due to arriv? Many of us were under the impression they would be available Q1 2010.
by thomasmhardy on ‎10-14-2010 11:42 AM

Is there any kind of roll out schedule? It's been more than a few weeks and I still have 1.7.1 with the low volume problems. Can you at least get a 1.7.2 out and fix the volume for Heaven's sake?

by Employee on ‎10-14-2010 05:33 PM

thomasmhardy,

IMG 1.8 is currently deployed to more than 600,000 customers.  We are planning more upgrades next week, based on positive results from this weekend.

Joe

by Glen01ss on ‎10-22-2010 01:45 AM

Hi Joe,

I have IMG 1.8 and have some questions about it. This is the only post I've found for 1.8 - where can I find the actual release notes as to what features were added? And how to change settings (my VOD menus are now Z-A order)?

Thanks

by Employee on ‎10-25-2010 05:54 PM

Glen01ss,

This post at the Verizon at Home blog is the actual release notes about the added features. For help with your VOD menu settings, you can reach out to me on Twitter @FiOSTV (twitter.com/fiostv) or contact FiOS TV technical support:

http://www22.verizon.com/Content/ContactUs/CallUs/callus.htm

Joe

by nd on ‎10-31-2010 12:17 PM

Since I'm having issues with low audio I was wonder when IMG 1.8 would be downloaded to by STB?

Thanks

by ABCMD on ‎10-31-2010 01:04 PM

Anyone know when 1.8 will be available in NY/ Long Island?

Thanks...

Alan

by captmcnet on ‎10-31-2010 02:19 PM

I am in the greater Tampa, Fl area and all five of my set-top boxes were happily upgraded to ver 1.8 in late Oct 2010.

by Lurker on ‎11-01-2010 02:54 AM

So did you guys finally fix the almost YEAR LONG glitch that happened back when IMG 1.7 was installed?

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Some-recorded-shows-won-t-play-back-on-641...

by on ‎11-01-2010 04:57 PM

nd and ABCMD,

Joe is tweeting some updates about the 1.8 rollout on Twitter @FiOSTV (www.twitter.com/fiostv). You can get the latest information there.

Heather

by lnjacobs on ‎11-15-2010 12:03 PM

Hello again -

Thank you for your response from above.  It was much appreciated.  I must report that I was recently upgraded to 1.8 img and it is great.  Truly do like everything about it....

Yet, still have two questions.

1.  When can we expect to have the 1.9 img released?

2.  Since Black Friday is coming up, do you know what brands of eSATA drives will work with the new img?  I have read reports on the internet that any brand will work up to 1 TB.  Any insight so I can save some money?  Been paying a lot of money over the years to fios for crappy hard drive space.  This would be a great way to solidify the loyalty of the customers who think twice every year at renewal.  I can tell you that I am only with fios again for another year because this blog promised 1.8 and 1.9.  Please make those promises come true.

Thanks in advance.

LNJacobs

by Employee on ‎11-15-2010 04:06 PM

lnjacobs,

The release of 1.9 will begin several weeks after we complete 1.8, which is nearly finished.  We will publish 1.9 release notes that will include supported drives after 1.8 rollout is completed.

Joe

by lnjacobs on ‎11-15-2010 05:02 PM

Thanks for the quick response Joe.  Do you think the release notes will be out before Black Friday?  Would love to safe some money.  Might even use the savings to buy more Verizon Products.  Any information you could provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

LNJacobs

by on ‎11-18-2010 07:39 PM

Joe

VHO4 was updated to1.8 the night before last. Were we not the last VH0 to get 1.8?

by on ‎11-19-2010 01:12 PM

Hello, prisaz,

Joe is on vacation this week, so I'm jumping in here to answer your question.  You're right. We've completed the deployment of version 1.8 of the Interactive Media Guide.

Heather

by on ‎11-19-2010 02:11 PM

Hi Heather_Wilner

Thanks for the update. I thought we were last. All seems to be working fine. I am off next week. Everyone needs to get away.

1.9 must be in final testing for pre deployment perhaps VHO4 1.9 first and not last? Well they say good things come to those who wait.

Have a nice weekend.

by lnjacobs on ‎11-30-2010 02:01 PM

Read on the Verizon Twitter page that 1.9 img will be rolling out soon.  Is this true?  Please let us know!!!!

Thanks

LNJacobs

by kmz3512 on ‎02-20-2011 05:09 PM

We just had fios installed recentlly and started reading about all these new features and upgrades.

Then we looked into what we had and we were given a cisco box with IMG version 1.6 installed.  WIth the 1.9 version coming out are there any plans to upgrade these boxes to any id these versions that have been out over 2 years, or be part of the 1.9 version, or are those onyl for certain boxes?

by Employee on ‎02-21-2011 03:35 PM

kmz3512,

When IMG 1.9 rolls out, you'll get it automatically. 

Joe

by on ‎02-21-2011 05:40 PM

Joe

Good to hear Cisco will be getting 1.9. I know it will please those customers very much. I cant see being stuck at 1.6 or 1.7 as some users have reported.

by moer on ‎11-28-2011 11:01 PM
I just installed a 1TB DVR Expander by Western Digital as recommended on Verizon's website. The setup looks ridiculously easy, however, the DVR is not seeing the Expander even after a reboot and disconnecting the DVR power cable. I assume I am still using the 1.8 software as the Guide still looks ugly. Will this Expander work under 1.8? Is there a step I may have missed? I live in Rockaway Park, NY and was wondering when 1.9 will be pushed out to us? Thanks for any help you can offer. Maureen
Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411