Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

FiOS TV: IMG 1.9 Release Notes and Opportunity to Get a Sneak Peek

by Employee ‎12-09-2010 07:52 PM - edited ‎12-10-2010 01:49 PM

JLEE.jpgOur guest blogger today is Jessica Lee.  Jessica Lee works as IMG Product Manager for FiOS TV.  Jessica has been working closely with Joe Ambeault for three years on IMG projects and other supported entertainment devices.  She is excited about what the next generation of IMG and Flex View will offer Verizon customers and can't wait to have all her recorded programs with her everywhere she goes.

The next version of the Interactive Media Guide (IMG), IMG 1.9, will provide exciting new features and a brand new look-and-feel for improved usability and navigation. We are proud to present items like the expanded TV listings guide, improved graphics, and new functionality in DVR and parental controls settings that will continue to establish Verizon FiOS TV as the superior choice in entertainment.

Read on to find out some of the features that are coming, as well as to find out how some of you can apply to participate in a Sneak Peek, right in your own home.

New Features

The upgrade will still allow customers to enjoy the same user-friendly functionality as before, only with a few great additions. The first thing customers will notice when they see the new upgrade is the totally improved look and feel of the user interface. This includes new content-based and graphics-rich screens and menus, a TV listings guide that takes full advantage of larger HDTV screens, enhanced Video on Demand navigation with movie posters, and more. There are also a number of enhancements to the Search interface, making it easier than ever to find content that you are looking for, and a brand new Channel Guide view that gives you a deep dive of all upcoming programs on any given channel.

For our DVR and Home Media DVR customers, a number of improvements have been made to the navigation and controls. Customers can easily play all or delete all episodes of a recorded series to manage their entertainment experience with the click of a button. The new IMG will also support thumbnail images of chapters for quickly and easily navigating within a recorded program, just like on a DVD player. If you have Home Media DVR, you will now be able to use multiple STBs as hubs to share recorded content within your home, and also schedule recordings to a DVR from any of the connected non-DVR boxes.

And we are working hard to incorporate suggestions posted by our customers on the Verizon Idea Exchange.  Here are just a few of your ideas that made it in to this release:

Finally, there are a number of parental controls improvements for families using the new IMG. A new feature, Quick Settings, allows parents to set the appropriate level of parental controls settings with the touch of a button. Simply select the age group that applies to the desired restrictions in your household (all ages, 7+, 13+, 17+, and 18+), and the system will automatically set parental controls just the way you want it. For first time users, there is also a parental controls wizard that takes you through each of the various settings step by step to make sure you’re not missing a thing! And another frequently requested feature that we are now happy to support is the ability to block TV watching by day and time. If your household follows a particular schedule, such as “homework time” from 4:30 to 6:30 every week day, all you need to do is enter your schedule into the system and it will automatically block TV watching for all channels.

A few features are coming soon as part of IMG 1.9, but might not be ready in time for the Sneak Peek. Keep your eye out for:

• Support for 3D video content on certain STB types. Users with 3D capable TVs will soon experience automated switching to 3D mode when viewing a program in 3D format.

• Support for external hard drives (eSATA). Customers will soon be able to connect an external hard drive to certain STB types to store recorded programs after the local DVR is full. This feature will only work with qualified storage devices.

What’s Next To Come to FiOS TV?  See some examples below:

• Enhanced User Profiles
  • More HD Channels and Video on Demand content
  • Customizable Screens and Menus
  • Integrated Personal and Commercial Media Management On All Screens (PC, mobile, TV, game consoles, Blu-ray players, broadband TVs, and more)

Apply to Be Part of a Sneak Peek – Spots are Limited!

We really appreciate our Verizon community here on the forums, so we have a Sneak Peek for those of you that participate in the Verizon Forums. A limited number of Verizon customers will have the opportunity to get a Sneak Peek of IMG 1.9 in the very near future.  In order to be eligible for the Sneak Peek, you need to meet the following requirements:

- Be a member of the Verizon Community Forums

- Reside in New Jersey or Eastern Pennsylvania

- Be willing to provide us feedback on your experience

If you meet the above criteria, we encourage you to apply for the IMG 1.9 Sneak Peek. This is a three-step process (but it is simple – see below).

1. You apply for the Sneak Peek by leaving your Forums screen name and your preferred contact method (Private Message or email) in the comments of this blog post below.
  2. We will contact you with a link to the registration form where you can submit the needed information to determine final eligibility for the Sneak Peek.
  3. You will be notified when provisioning of your account is complete and the Sneak Peek is available for you.

Important:  Please do not leave any personal information or your email address in the comment.  The community administrator can retrieve the email address from your registration profile.  Just tell us if that is how you wish to be contacted.

Thank you for being part of the Verizon Community!

Comments
by ace-kicker on ‎12-09-2010 08:20 PM - last edited on ‎12-09-2010 08:26 PM by Moderator

ace-kicker

{edited for privacy}

by Zero on ‎12-09-2010 08:30 PM

I'm interested in the Sneak Peak and look forward to providing feedback on it.  Please contact me via email with the link for registration.

by on ‎12-09-2010 08:45 PM

Woah, finally more HD Channels!!!!

by ronfil on ‎12-09-2010 09:01 PM

I'm in Pa and would love to be on the Sneak Peak trial. Please contact me via e-mail. Thank You!

by JustLou on ‎12-09-2010 09:01 PM

Hello,

I'd be glad to test Sneak Peak, and provide feedback. I'm an experienced beta tester of  both computer hardware and software. Contact me via my Verizon email.

Thanks,

dlhentze

by bvaret on ‎12-09-2010 09:02 PM

I'm in NJ and would like to test this.  Contact me by my verizon.net email, thanks.

by PSUinRI on ‎12-09-2010 09:34 PM

Sneak Peak...yes please!...contact via my verizon.net email

PSUinRI

by PSUinRI on ‎12-09-2010 09:36 PM

oops...dag nabit! Why NJ or PA   LOL

by Davidgr on ‎12-09-2010 09:37 PM

email me please!

by mikecove on ‎12-09-2010 09:38 PM

I'm in NJ and would like to test this.  Contact me by my verizon.net email, thanks

by jug831 on ‎12-09-2010 09:39 PM

I would like to apply for the Sneak Peak.  Please contact me via email.  I look forward to providing constructive feedback!

by bgeoghan on ‎12-09-2010 09:48 PM

It would be great to be part of the Sneak Preview. Please contact me via email. I live in SE PA.

by on ‎12-09-2010 10:10 PM

I would love to be part of the sneak preview.  Please PM or email me, whichever is easiest!  Thank you!

by xmnj on ‎12-09-2010 10:13 PM

I'm interested in participating! Email or PM works!

by upjt on ‎12-09-2010 10:38 PM

I'm in Eastern PA and would like to test. Please contact via email. Thanks.

by rweintra on ‎12-09-2010 10:46 PM

I thought I had also read that the Sneak Peek may be in NY. If so, I'd like to be part of the group as well. More than happy to provide constructive feedback. You can contact me via email...

by rjaniec84 on ‎12-09-2010 10:52 PM

I'm located in New Jersey and I would love to test this out! Please email me. Forum username rjaniec84.

Thanks!!

rjaniec84

by JPL on ‎12-09-2010 10:53 PM

I'm interested in signing up for the sneak peak.  I'm in eastern PA.  Please contact me by e-mail.

by hellonurse2476 on ‎12-09-2010 11:18 PM

Hellonurse2476

please contact me via e-mail

by longhorn23 on ‎12-10-2010 02:04 AM

longhorn23

I am interested in the sneak peek and would like to be contacted via private message. Thank you!

by on ‎12-10-2010 05:46 AM

Northern NJ here

mikecorbo is ny user id

by on ‎12-10-2010 05:49 AM

Northern NJ here again

Actually I think my forum user ID is mcorbo

by on ‎12-10-2010 06:03 AM

I would DIE to be a tester of IMG 1.9 for you! Please consider me - I'm quite a FAN!

Please contact me at my verizon.net email address!

-Matt (psumatt)

by on ‎12-10-2010 06:10 AM

Or, you can also send me the link via Private Message - to PSUMattDE! I'm out of VHO8.

Thanks again!

-Matt (psumatt)

by bazatpsu on ‎12-10-2010 07:26 AM

Love to have a sneak peak. Out of VHO8 in Delaware. Send the link through email.

Thanks! -Adam (bazatpsu)

by rengaw on ‎12-10-2010 07:38 AM

I would be interested in the sneak peak. I'm in NJ, Mercer County. Please contact me via email.

Thanks!

by on ‎12-10-2010 08:00 AM

lasagna from VHO14 here ... sign me up!

by on ‎12-10-2010 08:01 AM

I'm in NJ and interested in the Sneak Peak and look forward to providing feedback on it.  Please contact me via email with the link for registration.

Thank you!

by on ‎12-10-2010 08:08 AM

In SE PA (VHO8 Doylestown, PA CO).  Definitely interested in trying it out.  Contact by IM or email is fine (remember that IMs generate an email to the user anyway).

by Billyaskin on ‎12-10-2010 08:18 AM

I'm in NJ and interested in the Sneak Peak and look forward to providing feedback on it.  Please contact me via email with the link for registration.

by chipchristian on ‎12-10-2010 08:18 AM

cchristian

NJ

email, PM, PM via twitter (chipchristian), whatever it takes!

you know I'll give plenty of feedback...

by hweaver on ‎12-10-2010 08:18 AM

Hi, hweaver, email please.

by Jim_in_PA on ‎12-10-2010 08:29 AM

I'd like to participate in the 1.9 "sneak peek". SE PA

by frankpf3 on ‎12-10-2010 08:31 AM - last edited on ‎12-10-2010 12:11 PM by Moderator

UserID: frankpf3

Email: {edited for privacy}

by gogiants on ‎12-10-2010 08:35 AM

I would love to be part of the sneak peek. I live in New jersey and can be contacted via email. My screen name is gogiants.

thanks

by Jjrphilly on ‎12-10-2010 08:49 AM

Happy to participate.  Email is fine.  In Philly Suburbs

by Niarlan on ‎12-10-2010 08:55 AM

Love to participate :smileyhappy:

Niarlan and email me...I'm in Central NJ.

Nia

by on ‎12-10-2010 09:15 AM

Count me in, I would love to try the sneak peak.  Monmouth County, NJ

by on ‎12-10-2010 09:15 AM

Ooops contact via email please!

by jakek82 on ‎12-10-2010 09:20 AM

I would like to participate in the Sneak Peek. Please contact me via email.

ID: jakek82

Thanks!

by on ‎12-10-2010 09:39 AM

Looking forward to a possible sneak peek in Northern NJ

My forum ID is mcorbo and contact by email is fine.

by on ‎12-10-2010 09:40 AM

I would love to participate as well.

by skatsumi on ‎12-10-2010 09:53 AM

Please contact me via PM.  Forum ID skatsumi

Go  FiOS!

by on ‎12-10-2010 09:57 AM - last edited on ‎12-10-2010 12:12 PM by Moderator

Sounds great!!  Would like to participate in northern NJ.  Email please. 

screen name: jeffr4611

email: {edited for privacy}

by Ice8 on ‎12-10-2010 09:59 AM
I'm in SE PA and would like to participate in the test.
ID is Ice8
Please contact by email.
Thanks
Dan
by rrosenhouse on ‎12-10-2010 10:03 AM

I am in Verona, NJ and would love to test out the new enhancements.  I have the multi-room DVR and 3 additional set top boxes.

Thanks,

Rob

by on ‎12-10-2010 10:10 AM

I live in south Jersey and would love to have 1.9. 

User: Hawkman and preferred contact is email

by Hosehead13 on ‎12-10-2010 10:52 AM

Hosehead13

Preferred contact is e-mail.

Have extensive unit/system/beta testing experience.

Thanks!

by andydmd on ‎12-10-2010 11:10 AM

In case you are including NY I would certainly be interested.  I have participated in the Mac media manager trials and would gladly provide feedback.  Please contact by email.  Thanks

by MattV on ‎12-10-2010 11:30 AM

I am very interested in testing IMG 1.9.  I live in Morris County NJ and served out of VHO 7.  Please contact me via email.

Best,

Matt

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411