Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Gadgets Make Life Easier; Soldiers Keep Us Free

by Employee ‎05-27-2011 01:05 PM - edited ‎05-27-2011 01:07 PM

weekly_RoundUp_AtHome.jpg

Shopaholics rejoice!  The folks at Google announced this week that they’ll make our purchasing easier than ever with a “digital wallet” service.  The wallet allows you to pay for purchases and receive coupons by simply waiving your Android smartphone in front of a special reader at the checkout counter.  Even cooler, eventually they say you can add gift cards to the wallet.  I’m one of those people who tucks my gift cards into a kitchen drawer and then immediately forgets they exist.  Google executives say “eventually you’ll be able to put everything in your wallet.”  Awesome!  I’m not too worried about this leading to me buying more stuff, but it sure will make purchases easier.  Would you use a digital wallet?

Postscript:  Ebay and PayPal have already filed suit against Google, alleging that Google’s engaged in “intellectual theft and betrayal” in developing the service.  Stayed tuned on this one!

The New York Times’ David Pogue wrote a two-column series this week and last that are a must-read for just about anyone.  The first column, “Ins and Outs of Using Gadgetry” pulls from Pogue’s long experience in covering personal technology to create a collection of simple but perhaps little-known tips that make using cell phones, cameras, smartphones word processing programs and computers a lot quicker and easier.  He followed up with a second story, “25 More Tech Tips and Tricks” that covers the waterfront of screenshots, e-mail, text editing, iPhones, other cell phones, the Web and more.  As a user of technology for decades, I must say that I did learn quite a few new tricks from these columns.  Hope you find some too.

Now, how about some technology tips to make your Memorial Day weekend more fun?  James Kendrick of ZDNet provides a list of Android applications that help out with everything from steaks, drinks, travel reservations and star-gazing.  If you’re gathering around the backyard grill this weekend, also check out this week’s Room to Learn feature for websites offering barbecue recipes and inspiration.

Whatever technology I use this weekend, my first and foremost thoughts and thanks go to the men and women in the U.S. military – past and present – who keep us safe and preserve our freedom.  Have a great weekend, everyone!

Comments
by MVP Justin MVP on ‎05-27-2011 03:03 PM

Bobbi, thanks for the links to David Pogue's articles, some good useful info there.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411