Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Game On! MSG channels in HD arrive on FiOS TV

by ‎12-14-2011 01:20 PM - edited ‎12-14-2011 04:00 PM

MSG.jpgWe heard your pleas for the MSG channels in HD, and now we have good news to report.   

I’m excited to tell you today that FiOS TV will add both MSG HD and MSG+ HD to the channel lineup in phases over the next couple of days, with some markets as soon as tomorrow. The channel numbers will vary depending on your location. Look for MSG HD on FiOS TV channel 577, 578 or 579, and MSG+ HD on 579, 580 or 581.

For those who don’t know, MSG Network is a sports and entertainment network that covers local basketball, hockey and soccer. The network is home to the New York Knicks, New York Rangers, Buffalo Sabres, New York Red Bulls, New Jersey Devils and New York Liberty of the WNBA.

We have been fighting hard to provide our customers in the greater New York area with the sports programming they deserve. This includes the HD feeds of both MSG and MSG+, two regional sports channels that until recently were owned by Cablevision.

Until now, MSG had refused to sell Verizon the HD formats of the network’s two regional sports channels.  In September, the FCC ruled that MSG was out of bounds and a federal appeals court has now twice denied the network’s attempts at a stay of the decision.  What does that mean?  Good news for our New York area customers, who now get to watch their favorite teams in the incredible high-def picture that FiOS delivers.

So if you’re in the New York area, don’t miss all your favorite teams in HD. The Rangers are on MSG Thursday and the Islanders are on MSG+.  And with the NBA’s labor issues now settled, we’ll have a full slate of Knicks in HD.  We’ll continue to work hard on behalf of our customers to deliver the content that you deserve and have come to expect from your FiOS TV service. 

Comments
by leglessmoof on ‎12-14-2011 02:59 PM

Good work!  Now we need BBC America HD and The Comcast Network HD (Philadelphia).  Please make it happen! :smileyhappy:

by DevilsFanLodi on ‎12-14-2011 03:46 PM

How about Devils games?  FIOS may look good if Devils games are broadcasted in HD, I don't watch the Rangers, Islanders or Sabres.

by on ‎12-14-2011 04:01 PM

@DevilsFanLodi  NJ Devils too!  I just added them to the post above.  Sorry for the mistake!

by rangersfan on ‎12-14-2011 04:13 PM

Is this 100% confirmed???Please stop teasing with me...When will Long Island receive it?

by rbw on ‎12-14-2011 04:17 PM

Great News!  The article references MSG and MSG+; will FiOS also provide the overflow channel (MSG+2) in HD as well?

by driverblock on ‎12-14-2011 09:05 PM

Ummm...  Buffalo, maybe?  Don't forget us

by on ‎12-15-2011 07:28 AM

AWESOME!!! THANK YOU!!!

by santa on ‎12-15-2011 10:53 AM

Wow! Been waiting for this for a long time. I've had FIOS since it became available and this is a great day. Thanks to Verizon, the FCC and the courts! I didn't see the channels in the guide but they are there if you punch in 578 or 580 on the remote. Presumably the guide will update the next time Verizon pushes it out to the STBs.

by bulldog6 on ‎12-15-2011 12:42 PM

Happy about the MSG HD but what about Tennis Channel? We've been paying for it but haven't had it since September.

by on ‎12-15-2011 01:38 PM

@santa is correct -- the channels have launched!

@rbw I expect FiOS to get the overflow channels in HD some time next year.

@driverblock I mentioned the Buffalo Sabres in the post. We wouldn't forget you!

by kear20 on ‎12-15-2011 02:00 PM

Hi Heather,

You forgot to the list the Islanders as a list of teams on MSG (3rd paragragh). Good news nonetheless...thanks...

by MSL on ‎12-15-2011 03:20 PM

Heather, you mention the MSG+2 HD overflow channel being added to Fios "next year."  Do you have a specific month?  January is just two weeks away!

Thank you.

by Petro32 on ‎12-15-2011 04:54 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  The only thing I ever missed by changing from Optimum (its a four letter word in my house) 5 years ago was seeing my Islanders playing in HD.  I guess there really is a Santa Claus! 

by Aplynx on ‎12-15-2011 05:10 PM

MSG HD tonight in Monmouth County? Rangers play at 8...

by ptaguer on ‎12-15-2011 05:21 PM

Great News.... this will improve our numbers vs. Cablevision.  Lets get busy on NFL Ticket to take back DirecTV subscribers. 

by DaveCoup on ‎12-15-2011 06:49 PM

I came home tonight, flipped on my TV, and there it was.... MSG HD!!!  I couldn't be happier. 

Thanks Verizon for beating the Dolans into submission. 

When you start offering lifetime contracts, I'll be the first to sign up.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!

by puckstopper55 on ‎12-16-2011 07:07 AM

Really wondering about the timing of the HD overflow (MSG2 and MSG+2). With basketball being back next week, hockey, especially the isles and devs, always get pushed to the overflow.

by caldbunch on ‎12-16-2011 08:04 AM

Looking forward to seeing all Devils games in HD..  Good job!!

by FiOSPhil on ‎12-16-2011 07:40 PM
Sabres fans can temper their enthusiasm for a bit. MSG HD might be here, but the Sabres games are not on the HD feed. As with the other providers, it appears that sabres fans will have to wait for Verizon to get a dedicated HD feed solely for these events. For whatever reason, the HD channel conforms to the NYC feed rather than the upstate feed. Heather or someone else in the know at FiOS... Can you comment on when this might get fixed?
by FiOSPhil on ‎12-16-2011 08:18 PM
Never mind. They fixed it :smileyvery-happy:
by on ‎12-17-2011 05:26 PM

This week has been so strange. Last week, MSG was trying to pull any legal stunt possible in order to keep it's HD channels from Verizon. This weekend, Verizon is carrying MSG and MSG+ in HD, and Time Warner is about to drop them altogether because of a price dispute. Now, MSG is running ads and websites telling people to switch to other providers, listing Verizon as an option. What a difference a week makes!

by Buffman31 on ‎12-17-2011 07:51 PM

Good news. Finally since leaving DirecTV in January, I'm watching the Sabres on MSG HD (577)!

BBC in America would be a good next channel to p/u.

Thanks Verizon

by on ‎12-22-2011 09:16 AM

"We have been fighting hard to provide our customers in the greater New York area " how about the entire nation with providing Goltv HD, ESPN Deportes HD, Fox Espangole HD....confused I guess customers of greater NY takes over the entire nation.....disapointed!!

by on ‎12-28-2011 03:03 PM

EPIC FAIL by Verizon!!!

by mhochman on ‎01-08-2012 03:42 PM

Any update on MSG 2 in HD coming?

by wlt324 on ‎01-17-2012 03:04 PM

Yeah, I have a really sweet offer from Crappyvision to switch back, they suck but at lesat I can watch all the Rangers games in HD, when are you planning on putting up MSG2 HD and MSGPLUSHD, I hope it's sooner rather then later because after waiting 2 years for these channels I feel insulted that we only got half the content, enough is enough, time to start giving real answers to this question now that you have the rights to the content, you've become the reason we don't have it!

by granpacheapshot on ‎01-24-2012 08:58 PM

Again! Ranger game on tonight slotted to MSG-2 while Knicks and Devils game are on MSG-HD & MSG+ HD. This is obviously a deliberate move by those reprehensible Dolans to stick it to Fios subscribers. This the 3rd or 4th time in the last 3 weeks they have done this. They know well the Rangers are the bigger draw so the put them on the one channel that is still not available in HD,

When is Verizon, a multibillion dollar company, going to stop being screwed around by this little cable fifedom!

Get your lawyers back in court and nail them! I thought this was settled by the court ruling? How can they get away with this?

Who can we complain to? Who can we write to? Stand up for your subsribers Verizon!

by on ‎01-25-2012 04:47 AM

Looks like they are sticking it to everyone in that case. Not just Verizon. Not a fan but....

by HuhSJ on ‎02-11-2012 01:34 PM

Are we going to get MSG Plus2 in HD because Dolan has put the Rangers on MSG and MSG 2 with the Islanders on MSG Plus leaving the Devils in SD. I thought they had to offer all their channels. 

by on ‎02-11-2012 02:18 PM

It doesn't mean Verizon must pay the price for them, or find space for them. I would be happy with BBC America HD instead.:smileymad:

by ibadukefan on ‎02-18-2012 03:45 AM

Will MSG ever be broadcast nationwide without NBA League Pass?  I have FIOS, but no MSG = No Linsanity. :smileysad:

by rbw on ‎12-06-2012 05:36 PM

Heather-

Bumping an old thread, and hoping not to jinx progress in the NHL talks-

When will FiOS provide the MSG2 overflow feed (SD on 81) in HD?  Three of the four MSG channels are in HD; please, please put the last one up, too...

Thanks.

RBW

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411