Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS

Get Ready Sports Fans: FOX SPORTS 1 and FOX SPORTS 2 Launch This Weekend

by ‎08-16-2013 02:26 PM - edited ‎08-16-2013 02:26 PM

FS1 logo.jpg

The nation’s newest national sports channels make their debut this Saturday in the form of two rebranded channels to be called Fox Sports 1 (FS1) and Fox Sports 2 (FS2).

For FiOS TV customers who have had access to Speed Channel (ch. 83 SD and 583 HD) -- and that’s the overwhelming majority of our 5 million plus subscribers -- you’ll see that channel morph into FS1 starting first thing Saturday morning.

FiOS TV customers whose video package currently includes Fuel TV (ch. 198 SD) will automatically see FS2 content on that same channel starting early Saturday morning.

If you’re a major sports fan like me, or even just a casual observer, these are good times for watching sports, and FiOS TV will continue to ensure our subscribers catch a lot of action from across the wide world of sports.

FOX has described its new national sports networks as the biggest sports cable network launch in history, and one of the largest network launches ever. This launch has gotten a lot of advanced media coverage in anticipation of the enhanced sports content the public will receive going forward.

From Day 1, Fox Sports 1 will offer almost 5,000 hours of live event, news and original programming annuallyIncluded in its content lineup will be live events including college basketball and football, NASCAR, soccer, boxing and UFC.

Fox Sports 2 will feature a lot of overflow content that doesn’t fit on Fox Sports 1, and will include UFC content under the Fuel TV brand.  NASCAR fans in particular will get a kick out the fact that August 17 content will include live events morning, noon and night including a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race from Michigan and a UFC FIGHT NIGHT: SHOGUN VS. SONNEN in prime time.

Next year, FOX Sports’ new rights agreement with Major League Baseball goes into effect, and that means subscribers will be able to see regular and postseason games on Fox Sports 1.  For now, however, I know the initial jolt of more sports on FiOS TV will help ensure we get our competitive juices pumped even more than before.

Comments
by BillSM on ‎08-16-2013 06:03 PM

Something serious is missing here. :smileymad:

Why isn't FS2 available in HD? And when will it be?:smileyfrustrated:

As of 3 pm PDT Friday channel 583 is still showing the Speed Channel lineup through next week.

by on ‎08-16-2013 08:19 PM

Yes, we definitely need Fox Sports 2 in HD, preferrably in the slot that Fox Soccer is currently in.  In addition we still need CBS Sports Network in HD before college football season starts.  And Southern California customers still need Pac-12 Network Los Angeles before college football season.  Hopefully Verizon is on top of it, given this quote below, otherwise it means nothing....

Bill_Kula wrote:

If you’re a major sports fan like me, or even just a casual observer, these are good times for watching sports, and FiOS TV will continue to ensure our subscribers catch a lot of action from across the wide world of sports.

by uglyrose on ‎08-16-2013 09:04 PM

Would you please kindly make a sense here, I am la connexion subscriber and FOX SOCCER was a part of it from now all SOCCER games wil be moved to FOX SPORTS 1 what will happen to us? If i am getting FOX SOCCER now why i wont get FOX SPORTS 1 ? Since we do not have SPEED TV what will happen?

by Adrian36 on ‎08-17-2013 08:23 AM

Its Saturday, 8:20 am, and channel 583 is still the SPEED channel. When is this going to change over??? The UFC is on tonight and I pay to **bleep** much to be missing this event!

by dbthree on ‎08-17-2013 09:58 AM

That's great and all, but you're still holding out on PAC-12 Network. 5 teams in the top 25 and FiOS customers will miss most their games.

by ‎08-17-2013 10:42 AM - edited ‎08-17-2013 10:46 AM

The picture quality of Fox Sports 2 on channel 198 is absolutely embarrassing.  Please tell me this channel is converting to HD once Fox Soccer goes away in September...

by smtenney on ‎08-17-2013 03:15 PM

I agree with BigPete82, the picture quality of Fox Sports 2 on 198 is atrocious.  When will this channel be available in HD?

by ‎08-17-2013 04:03 PM - edited ‎08-17-2013 04:05 PM

The fact that Fox Sports 2 in not in HD is a joke (it is the HD feed being shown in SD and is UN WATCHABLE the picture quality AWFUL!!!). But then again the fact Verizon is the ONLY and I do mean ONLY national carrier that does NOT carry H2 in HD is a BIGGER JOKE.

Verizon has gone from being a leader in the industry to an also-ran. Why are we subject to all those USELESS and unwatched .tv channels when there are so many other HD channels your viewers actually want that you refuse to carry!?!?!?!?!!? You're publishing all these blogs about how great Fiber is and all the bandwidth available, why is it you have added so FEW HD channels if you have all this room!?!??!

I do love my FiOS and am not entertaining switching but I am extremely disappointed by the lack of progress over the last few years.

by rlcervantes on ‎08-17-2013 04:29 PM
Missing fs1 on la connexion package
by on ‎08-18-2013 05:20 PM

Fox Sports 2 in HD please.  And FXX in HD also when it starts next month. 

by ROBGv1 on ‎08-20-2013 11:15 AM

I think fox should have made fox soccer Fox Sports 2 and put fxx in Fuels spot.

by manta on ‎08-20-2013 05:50 PM

Fox sports is great. Now I have over 10 sports channels. I only have a hand full of news channels and NO libertarian view point. We need the Blaze network.

by cgmesq on ‎08-22-2013 04:04 PM

What you are really messing up on is not accepting premier league extra from NBC sports.  Losing all the games will result in my moving to direct tv; along with many others.  Big mistake.

by needeplextra on ‎08-28-2013 09:03 AM

" I know the initial jolt of more sports on FiOS TV will help ensure we get our competitive juices pumped even more than before."

Don't make me laugh, Bill. Verizon doesn't even have Premier league extra time like ALL your major competitors have.

by jmcclure on ‎08-28-2013 09:24 PM

The Speed channel is "motorsports" centric, Fox is not.  This is a terrible exchange in entertainment and a big disappointment.  Bring back motorsports!  There are already enough channels for other sports.

by on ‎08-30-2013 12:32 PM
jmcclure you should be complaining to the FOX Networks, there is nothing Verizon can do. Verizon did not close down the Speed channel, FOX did.
by on ‎08-30-2013 12:33 PM
Oh, and the picture quality on Fox Sports 2 channel 189 is STILL AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is unwatchable!! Where are the HD channels!?!?!?!?!?!
by on ‎09-02-2013 11:10 AM

We're still in talks to try and offer the Blaze network and the PAC 12 network in a way that makes financial sense to all parties involved.

As to the new Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 channels, only Fox Sports 1. as of now, will be in both standard and high def. 

We appreciate your input and thoughts as we work to continually enhance FiOS TV. You'll also see some additional changes from FOX Networks with the Labor Day launch of FXX that replaces FOX SOCCER on ch. 84 and 584.

From a blog posted today...

The new network takes the place of FOX SOCCER, and soccer fans can catch their favorite matches on sports networks like Fox Sports 1, Fox Soccer Plus, beIN Sport, ESPN Deportes or other ESPN branded networks, NBC Sports Network, Univision Deportes, or Gol TV.

by on ‎09-04-2013 11:46 PM
Bill, the corporate cliches are getting tired...Why is Verizon ignoring repeated calls in this forum and the idea exchange to add PAC 12? Why has Verizon been dishonestly been telling prospective customers that this channel would be available before football season and then refusing to give an update on the status of this channel? How can Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, Dish, At&t all come to terms with the Pac12 but Verizon continues to reject the same deal the others agreed to? We don't pay 100s of dollars to NOT receive all of our local RSNs. Customers who don't want the channel don't have to pay for it since you offer the sports free select package. Customers deserve better than this!!! Get the channel ASAP, we are tired of the "fair deal" and "financial sense" excuses and dishonesty!!!!
by needeplextra on ‎10-17-2013 12:56 PM

Bill, just give us a straight answer. When are we getting FS2 in HD? other providers have and please no corporate generic answer please.

Also any news on the NBC live extra channels? even TWC have it. what a joke !!

by on ‎10-18-2013 11:56 AM

@BigPete82 - We're not ignoring repeated requests for starters. As was discussed yesterday as we reported third quarter earnings, we have to carefully manage rising video content costs. As we talk with content providers, we must work hard to avoid overpaying for video content that would, in turn, be passed onto customers. Talks continue with many providers, including PAC 12, but we've not reached an agreement that we believe makes sense.

@needeplextra - FS2 won't be on HD any time soon. We've evaluated the opportunities we have to make more channels offered in HD. If / when we make FS2 available in HD, we'll communicate that to customers.  Still don't have any update for you on NBC live channels.

On Sept. 20, we added 9 channels to our FiOS Mobile app that allow FiOS TV customers to watch those channels outside the home, and we plan to make many more available outside the home. Here's that announcement link in our Newscenter: http://newscenter.verizon.com/residential/news-articles/2013/09-20-verizon-fios-mobile-app-live-tv/

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements