• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

High Ratings for Fiber to the Home Services in New Survey

by ‎08-12-2010 04:36 PM - edited ‎08-12-2010 04:38 PM

1371i33A6A8C79BC3C0D4We like to remind people that FiOS is a fiber to the home service.  Not fiber to the neighborhood or to some other place in the feeder network.  But fiber all the way to the home.

The distinction is important because FTTH offers advantages over other forms of consumer broadband.  That’s why some recent survey results really got our attention.

According to a survey (pdf) commissioned by the Fiber to the Home Council, subscribers to fiber-to-the-home services like FiOS report higher satisfaction rates than consumers of other broadband access technologies.

The survey, conducted by research firm RVA LLC, found that 71 percent of FTTH subscribers are “very satisfied” with their Internet service compared with satisfaction percentage rates in the low 50s for subscribers of some other kinds of broadband services.

When asked about high-definition TV performance, 73 percent of FTTH TV subscribers say they are “very satisfied” compared with 61 percent for satellite customers and 45 percent for cable TV subscribers.

The survey also turned up some other interesting results, which you can read about in this Multichannel News article.

Of course, not all of the people surveyed were FiOS customers, but it’s a good bet that a significant percentage of them were.  So it’s not surprising that in response to an open-ended question, FTTH subscribers said Internet speed, video picture quality and consistency of results were the top benefits of their all-fiber service.

If you’re a FiOS subscriber, how would you have answered the question?  What do you think are the benefits of an all-fiber service?  Let us know in the comments section below.

Comments
by on ‎08-12-2010 08:10 PM

Fiber to the home is the best. I have been very satisfied since the launch in Maryland. I have been a customer since it was first available in this state 2005 I believe. I can honestly say in my opinion, nothing comes close to the capabilities of the FiOS fiber deployment. Nearly 100% up time, and I can never recall the connection ever going down. Even in the Washington DC. Metro area blizzard this past winter. My FiOS worked. Neighbors with cable asked how do you have Internet and TV, I responded I have FiOS, and it doesn't need power at multiple locations. My signal connects straight to the Verizon office which of course has emergency back up. Cable systems on the old copper, or copper mixed with fiber, need power everywhere. Have you ever seen those big green boxes on the telephone pole that has a light on? Well that is for cable and it needs power. All the lights on the street poles everywhere were out, but my FiOS kept on rocking!

by Ian81 on ‎08-13-2010 10:56 AM

Would love my FTTH service to bring me FSC HD! Would love a timeline for this channel to be brought to my home!

by on ‎08-14-2010 05:12 PM
I love the way storms don't affect any of the signals over fiber. No blips even from lightning. Nothing goes out unless the power in my house goes out.
by TheJudge on ‎08-15-2010 04:39 AM

Sooooooo, if I am actually getting Fiber to my home and pay for 25mbps, do I only get 7 to 10 mbps in my home most of the time? And why, when I call to complain about that do the agents not seem to understand what I am talking about? And why does my Fios TV signal not remain consistent? One has to wonder-- but then, it is Verizon, not well known for its quality service.

by on ‎08-16-2010 02:20 PM

The Judge,

Sorry to hear that you're not getting 25 Mbps on your FiOS Internet service and your FiOS TV signal isn't consistent.  I've asked our technical team to get in touch with you to see what's going on. 

Heather

by low8volt on ‎09-07-2010 12:27 AM

what i would like to know concerning fios is once it hits copper in the home what happens to mbps?

by on ‎09-08-2010 02:54 PM

low8volt,

Although you don't say so, I think you might be concerned that there's a drop-off in speed inside the home. FiOS is designed to work with the coaxial cable or Ethernet inside the home, so that's not an issue.

Heather

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411