Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements

Lock the doors? Turn off the lights? Lower the thermostat? In search of a "Smart Home"

by Employee ‎08-20-2012 04:07 PM - edited ‎08-20-2012 04:07 PM

aspot-HMC-52312.jpg

Blog courtesy of Verizon #SmartHome Ambassador Jean Parks (@geekbabe)

Have you ever wished for a ‘Smart Home?’ I don't know about you but I've longed to be able to control my home heating/cooling, lighting and security all from one central place that I can access from anywhere I might be. Yes, there are various individual systems out there but few of them do it all, and having to deal with multiple accounts, passwords and bills frankly annoys me.

Here’s what’s on my smart home wish list (besides a robot to fold my laundry!):

Conserve energy

My energy bills for heating and cooling are scary! I want to be able to adjust the temperature at home from wherever I might happen to be. Being able to use my smartphone to raise the temp just before I leave from work would be awesome. Being able to adjust indoor/outdoor lighting from the same system so I'm not coming home to a dark house and fumbling to get my keys in the lock would be a bonus.

A home security system

Counting up the number of days I had to leave work early last year to get a delivery or let a repair person into my house is at the top of my list of life annoyances. I would love the ability to unlock a door remotely in order to grant access to my home, without having to beg busy neighbors to help or leaving my house keys with strangers.

Give me a worry-free vacation

Going away is great but I have a cat and I go crazy worrying about what might be going on at home! Being able to set up video cameras inside and out of the house that will monitor the place would be excellent! Having a system that will let me easily set up a "vacation mode" that will let me know if something is going on that requires my immediate attention is what I need. Being able to log onto the same system and actually see what's happening would ease my mind considerably!

One home monitoring system for everything!

Well, now there is such a system! Verizon FiOS, well-known for its super smooth TV viewing and blazing fast Internet speeds, also offers Verizon Home Monitoring and Control. The smart home requires robust, reliable Internet access and the fiber optic network of FIOS is prepared to deliver. I figured a system like the one I've wished for would be out of my price range but a starter kit is only $89.99 and the ongoing service is only $9.99 per month.

The cost of getting started will easily be made up in energy savings! My house will be more comfortable, more secure and my family will have fewer worries!

What is your dream smart home? What household tasks would you like to handle remotely? How do you think Verizon's 100% fiber optic network technology can help you and your family?

Disclosure: As a Verizon Smart Home ambassador I have been compensated for my participation. Opinions expressed about the services offered are my own.

Comments
by blogomomma on ‎08-20-2012 07:36 PM

Smart Girl, Smart Home....it only makes sense! :smileywink:

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements