Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS

Mac Users, Media Manager Is Now for You

by Employee ‎10-20-2009 09:13 AM - edited ‎10-21-2009 10:17 AM

Media Manager Photo for Mac.JPGRecently we announced Verizon's Internet Security Suite for Mac users.  Today we're giving Mac users a little FiOS love by rolling out a Mac-compatible version of the My Music and My Photos features of our FiOS TV Media Manager service.

This means that Mac users can now use Media Manager to organize, enjoy and manage their personal, photos and music on their Macs and seamlessly stream that content to their TVs.

Mac users can now stream their computer-based iPod playlists straight to their TV to play their music on their home entertainment systems. Of course, the Music must be Digital Rights Management (DRM) free for it to play seamlessly on the TV entertainment system.

Content you have created - like those recent back to school or summer vacation photos -stream to the largest screen in the house - your TV - easily.  I'm just back from China and showed my photos at a friend's house the other night just by logging on to his FiOS home network from my media manager enabled laptop.   It sure beat having the four of us huddling around the 15" computer screen. 

With this release, My Videos is not ready for the Mac, but we're working on that too.

FiOS TV DVR customers can download the Mac version of Media Manager here.  Check it out and let us know what you think.

Comments
by mcgarbiero on ‎10-20-2009 11:11 PM

I got the message about the mac version and immediately tried to set it up.  I downloaded fine and selected some iphoto and itunes sharing.  Went to the tv menu and accessed media manager and it is saying "device not found".  I already tested the connectivity of my laptop and the ping was fine.

What now?

Thanks!

by Employee on ‎10-22-2009 01:44 PM

mcgarbiero,

Typically we see this problem if a firewall is running on your computer, whether it's a Mac or PC, and is not allowing the incoming ports from the set top box.  We recommend allowing the ports 5050, 18000 and 18001 to be open between your laptop and the set top box.  Let me know if this helps.

Eric

by glenda711 on ‎10-23-2009 09:51 AM

I have set up and can see iphoto slideshows and play itunes, however the music (specific itunes playlist) that is part of the slideshow does not play. The same playlist does play through TV when accessed directly from itunes.

by Echo_Whiskey on ‎10-25-2009 06:17 PM

Even though the DVR recognizes my MacBook Pro and the music I've shared, any attempt to play a song (ACC, m4a, or mp3) results in the Media Manager software crashing and the DVR rebooting.

by DrLou on ‎10-30-2009 02:33 PM

Eric,

As you are clearly a guy who knows what's what with Verizon:  Do we get all ports fully open on a Verizon residential FiOS plan?  I haven't yet been able to get a satisfactory answer on this.

We are thinking of jumping ship from Comcast, but they are bending over backwards to try to retain us.

What's a computer-savvy home user to do?  Thanks in advance.

by Employee on ‎11-03-2009 11:29 AM

For questions about using Media Manager for Macs, you can check our online support page here

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Guide/Enhanced+TV/MM+for+Mac/125189.htm

or see the support page for information on contacting us online or by phone.

Eric

by Runtster on ‎02-03-2013 01:21 AM

Do you know when Media Manager for Macs will support videos?

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements