• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Media Manager PC/MAC Client Update

by Employee ‎10-01-2013 01:45 PM - edited ‎10-18-2013 05:02 PM

We frequently use the At Home blog to provide you with the latest news on FiOS TV, including new services, new
opportunities like the recent free VOD Marathon and changes that may impact your FiOS experience. Today we are announcing that starting November 1, the Verizon Media Manager PC/Mac-Client Application will be retired.

MediaManagerLogo.jpgFor the limited number of FiOS customers who have previously used the Media Manager application to sync personal data via the Flex View Library feature, we ask you to follow the steps below that will help ensure you have access to your content.

–     Any Flex View On Demand movies that you have purchased using Media Manager will still be available for viewing on your FiOS TV Set Top Box, through the web at verizon.com/ondemand, or by downloading and streaming them to your supported mobile or tablet device using our free FiOS Mobile app which is available via Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Amazon App Store for Kindle. FiOS Mobile offers our customers the ability to watch up to 9 of our most popular TV channels wherever they are and whenever they want.

–     To ensure you don't lose your personal media files, you must download your files via the Media Manager PC/Mac client application prior to November 1, 2013. Please follow the instructions provided at http://www.verizon.com/retiremediamanger

Comments
by Silver Contributor III on ‎10-01-2013 03:46 PM

For our customers who would like to review alternate Verizon Online & Backup Storage solutions, check out verizon.com/vobs

Clicking on the above link results in the following message:

"The core node you are trying to access was not found, it may have been deleted. Please refresh your original page and try the operation again."

by JKHattonCPA on ‎10-02-2013 12:06 PM

I use Media Manager for simple streaming of Audio and Video to my TV - how will this be supported without Media Manager? I would prefer not to have to do that through my BluRay player...

by ScottHemmig on ‎10-06-2013 04:35 PM

I use Media Manager to play music, home movies and family photos to my fios boxes.  In this posting it talks about the client ending in Nov and online information support, but it doesn't talk at all about what solution will replace streaming the above info to my boxes from my server.  Please provide more information on what customer should do for all our other information?  Go to Apple TV?

by on ‎10-14-2013 10:23 AM

Retiring VMM is just pathetic.  WHY DON"T YOU FIX IT?  This is why I REFUSE to purchase any FlexView movies.  You pay a riduclous amount (yes DVD/Blue Rays are almost awlays cheaper) and don't even get access to them!  How about when I leave Verizon FIOS because I have to move for my new job?  I loose all my movies!  Why anyone would invest money on Flex View is beyond me.  I guess marketing and niave customers can drive a business model.

by Steve-In-RI on ‎10-16-2013 01:57 PM

I guess we'll have to invest in a Roku box to get the same, if not better, streaming performance of our personal videos and content from our computers to our television screens.  The price for Verizon FiOS just keeps going up and up and up and they continue to remove channels and other applications, raping our wallets every month.  Just another reason NOT to renew my service with Verizon FiOS when my service agreement expires.  As far as buying movies from FlexView?  Go to Vudu and buy them there. They are cheaper and even have before they hit theater movies and you can watch them anywhere WITHOUT FiOS.  Vudu is also available on Roku.

by Employee on ‎10-18-2013 04:39 PM

As the technology associated with FiOS progresses, there will occasionally be changes with some of the older features of the service either to accommodate the update or – as is the case with Media Manager – to choose another direction because of low demand.  We have worked to address most of the uses of Media Manager with other applications. For example, the FiOS Mobile App will allow you to stream your Flex View videos to eligible devices.  And we will continue to look at developing other capabilities for the App as it evolves.  In other words, there will be more to come with the FiOS mobility feature.

We’d also like to address the misperception about the purchase of Flex View titles – when a customer purchases a movie, it is their property.  The email explaining the Media Manger decision contained this paragraph:

Any Flex View On Demand movies that you have purchased using Media Manager will still be available for viewing on your FiOS TV Set Top Box, through the web at http://verizon.com/ondemand, or by downloading and streaming them to your supported mobile or tablet device using our FiOS Mobile app

It may not have been clearly stated, but even if a customer no longer has FiOS, they will still be able to access their Flex View purchases by going to http://verizon.com/ondemand as long as you maintain your My Verizon login and password.

by lfp123 on ‎10-19-2013 01:14 PM

I use media manager, to stream pics and music to my TV, if this service is being discontinued, there should be something to replace it, was one of the reasons I chose FIOS.  If services are taken away, ther should be a credit.  I have seen numerous services taken away and not replaced, not good.

by SteveLogan on ‎10-21-2013 06:55 AM

Glad I found this.  I was about to get rid of our TiVO and add a 2nd Verizon DVR but now that I can't stream our stored media library to the TV w/o Media Manager I guess I just saved $20 / month.  Good going Verizon!

by on ‎10-23-2013 07:54 PM

"..but even if a customer no longer has FiOS, they will still be able to access their Flex View purchases by going to http://verizon.com/ondemand as long as you maintain your My Verizon login and password."

I'm glad you clarified that!  Just more reason to never ever buy FlexView.  What happens if my account expires?  What if I have support issues?.. I am sure the CSR will say I'm sorry you are no longer a Verizon customer so we can't help you please add Verizon service so we help you.  CSR from support will not talk to you unless you are a customer... forget to mention that?

by dekay on ‎12-08-2013 12:09 PM

A significant selling point when we signed on to fios was the ability through Media Manager to stream our personal photos, videos, etc. from our pc to our TVs. We're disappointed that Verizon not only has terminated this service which it promoted in gaining us as customers, but also that Verizon doesn't even seem to acknowledge that that was a featured component of Media Manager. That aspect isn't even mentioned in the various explanations why the service was discontinued. It would be better to point out to your customers that Verizon has judged the success of the feature solely by whether it brought in direct revenue through the flex movie program (as opposed to indirectly through customer satisfaction) -- it's not a matter of the technology.

Thanks.

by gandjdavis on ‎12-14-2013 01:51 PM

I was a comcast customer for over 20 years. I left after over 20 years to come to verizon mostly because of the ability to access my personal media library without requiring another device.  I have had verizon now for over 4 years and have found that the internet speed and TV picture quality are not noticeably better to me.However, I never considered going back to Comcast because the one thing that they didn't offer was the media manager feature. With the removal of the media manager, I no longer have a reason to keep Verizon.

I believe that Verizon has made a serious error. Even if the feature was not heavily used, the fact that it was removed without a replacement could communicate a sense of shortsightedness and arrogance to all your customers.

Customers may not leave right away, but I think that removing convenience and access to media through a Verizon device or application will make them look for other solutions. I am.

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411