• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

More About Verizon WiFi

by Employee ‎07-28-2009 05:40 PM - edited ‎08-19-2009 06:14 PM

It looks like the addition of WiFi for Verizon broadband customers is getting plenty of attention. Many of you have commented here, and there has been comment on other sites like the Orange County Register’s Gadgetress and GigaOM.

I also had a chance to talk about the service with technology correspondent Fred Fishkin at Boot Camp, and you can listen to the interview here.

Not surprisingly those of you who have commented at the Verizon at Home blog have some specific questions:

What about MacIntosh Users?
Verizon Wi-Fi currently isn’t compatible with Macs, but we working to change that.  We’ll let you know here when it’s available to Mac users.

What are the OS requirements?
The service requires Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit or Windows XP 32-bit with Service Pack 3.

What about PDAs and other Wi-Fi-capable devices?

Right now, Internet access with the Wi-Fi service is limited to laptops and netbooks.  We expect to offer access on other wireless-enabled devices, such as PDAs, in the future.

Why is a software download required?
Many hotspots require registration and charge for access.  The software enables customers to access Verizon Wi-Fi without further registration or fees.  And it’s convenient – when you’re in a hotspot, a popup alerts you and asks if you want to go online.  The software also provides customers with another level of security.  After downloading the software once, customers just sign in with their user name and password and launch their browsers.

Let me know if you have other questions about Wi-Fi, and I’ll answer them in the comments section below this post.
Message Edited by Eric_Rabe on 08-19-2009 03:14 PM

Comments
by newtonian on ‎07-28-2009 06:22 PM

I have been unable to complete installation of the Verizon WiFi client software. I have tried it from both Firefox and IE at work (non-Fios connection) and at home (Fios connection). Every time I end up with this error message in the installer client:

The flow will not proceed due to Missing Hand-off Parameters:
ssotoken
PUID

ssotoken value=
PUID value=
step value=wifireg

Any ideas?

And to all of you Mac people - when does ANYTHING come out supporting Mac from day one that's not made by Apple or Adobe. Get a grip - when you choose a minority OS you get treated accordingly. They'll eventually get around to you.

by friscoaggie on ‎07-29-2009 11:02 AM

Newtonian: 

The point being there is no need for an application running in my window's systray looking for Verizon hotspots.Maybe one to help me find a Verizon hotspot.

This is purely an implementation choice by Verizon.

Choice 1: Re-invent the wheel and create new application software that will require Verizon to support multiple OS platforms and future upgrades to those platforms OR

Choice 2: Utilize common marketplace OS agnostic methods like URL redirection like every major hotel, bookstore, coffeshop, and McDonald's. Even AT&T manages to do it w/o requiring custom software. Got a browser, got an account, looky there it works.

Considering this is probably more of a competitive offering than a revenue generating activity it only seems logical to avoid having the custom software headaches (like yours) and the customer whining (like mine).

I am running a supported FiOS operating system, paying my monthly bill for all the priviledges associated with said service. So when they advertise services for FiOS customers they should work from the launch. If they don't then I will continue to voice my displeasure with their decisions that result in them "eventually getting around to me".  Hopefully your lack of service will be address faster than "eventually getting around to you".

by Employee Emeritus on ‎07-29-2009 06:16 PM
This is currently a known issue that we are aware of and are working on. We should have a resolution very soon. Thanks for your patience.
by jystickman on ‎07-30-2009 12:02 PM

friscoaggie is completely on the mark.  Verizon made the same mistake with DSL requiring PPPoE.  And it caused headaches for those "majority" Windows users that newtonian was part of until a system agnostic solution (building it into the DSL modem) that didn't require modifying driver stacks was implemented.  And just like it's doing for "majority" Windows users like newtonian now.

Verizon, please reconsider the way you're architecting this feature.

by BenUrsa on ‎07-31-2009 08:59 PM

Let's give FIOSTechJoe some credit for admitting that this is a known issue.  I'm looking forward to getting this to work on my verizon android phone.

by mjtech on ‎08-13-2009 01:42 PM

I have been attempting to install the verizon wifi client on my laptop for at least two weeks now. I have been on the phone with verizon wifi tech support for at least a total of 2.5 hours trying to resolve this issue. The tech support rep has assured me that my laptop meets all the requirements, however every time I go through the installation of the client the screen pauses at "checking system compatability" and quits the installation. An icon is left on my desktop which says resume wifi Activation.

The tech support rep manually created an account for me and told me to download the boingo client. He said I would be able to connect using this client. No Luck! Boingo tech support tells me my account info from verizon is not on their system.

Still looking to use my verizon free wifI. Any Help?

by wukongeroo on ‎08-14-2009 12:23 PM

Had the same issue today. Was trying to install via Firefox while Norton 360 was active. Uninstalled the "half-installed" verizon wifi program via control panel, and temporarily deactivated Norton. Then re-installed the verizon wifi program via Internet Explorer (with Norton still down), and it worked. Hope this helps.

by MikeW on ‎08-15-2009 12:20 PM

I am useing Windows XP SP3.  I downloaded the software, everything went fine.  However I was at Brewster Green Resort in Brewster, MA, it was listed as a hotspot and it showed up in my Network Connections but there was pop up box, no new window opened, I was unable to connect.  Is there any way to force a connection?

Thanks

by Employee on ‎08-25-2009 03:58 PM

MikeW,

Sorry it's taken awhile to answer your question. When Wi-Fi doesn't connect automatically, it could be due to a number of factors: the location's wireless router is off; the Wi-Fi signals reach only certain parts of the property; the facility has moved to a different provider; or the user has another software controlling his or her wireless adapter.

To force the connection, you would need to reset your wireless adapter (toggle off/on if you have a switch, or use "repair" from windows), and use windows zero config (the little computer icon with the wireless waves coming out to the right) to connect to the wireless signal manually.

-- Eric

by kmbrwlf on ‎09-03-2009 07:01 PM

So is there a target date that you could give to Mac users for when compatible software might be available? Within 6 months, a year, 5 years? When you say "we working to change that," does this mean that Verizon has a team actively writing the software, or just that they have thought about writing it sometime in the future?

by loooney2ns on ‎09-27-2009 08:04 PM

When are you planning to support Windows 7? It's going to be released soon. I'm surprised the Vista app won't work.

by fresh on ‎10-09-2009 12:46 PM

When will Mac users be able to use Verizon WiFi?

by bennettjon on ‎10-12-2009 11:46 AM

I too would like to know when the Mac issue is going to be solved.

by Naroto on ‎10-23-2009 10:34 AM

How about Win 7? I was the first but sure - not the last caller about bogus message "Systems Requirements Not Met" Requires Win XP SP3, Win 7, Win Vista. My OS is Win 7.

by vitesse on ‎10-27-2009 02:08 PM

I have one mac and multiple linux laptops.  I also want to use this on my iPod Touch.  I understand if the process is a little more of a pain if you have to use the normal wifi configuration management of your OS but the connection should not require additional software.

by Arciel on ‎11-17-2009 04:05 PM

Re: support for Mac OSX on Verizon Wi-Fi

Still "working on it"? How about a guess at a roll-out date, as kmbrwlf suggested (above) back in early September?

Come ON, Verizon, this cannot be that hard! (Assuming you are still working on it.)

by Gotow on ‎11-25-2009 02:10 PM

What's the status on Mac OS X support?  You were "working to change it" 4 months ago, and we haven't seen any changes.  Do you have a target date?  

It'd be nice if you'd just handle everything in a platform-agnostic way like everyone else - it'd save you and us a lot of time and frustration.

- Jon

by regtor1 on ‎12-05-2009 03:14 PM

Ditto on making the WiFi service available to Mac users!!!  Please provide an update on when can Mac users expect to receive the same level of FiOS service as Windows users.

by sr on ‎12-09-2009 11:17 PM

Eric Rabe on 28 July 09

Verizon Wi-Fi currently isn’t compatible with Macs, but we working to change that.  We’ll let you know here when it’s available to Mac users.

There have been at least five requests in this forum asking for a progress update for Mac users.  They all appear to have been unanswered.

Could Eric Rabe, Senior VP - Media relations, provide some statement of Verizon's position/progress on compatibility for Verizon Wi-Fi?

by Malbone on ‎12-11-2009 03:19 PM

I honestly don't know why I would need some special Verizon software in order to get onto the Internet at a Starbucks hotspot.  Isn't the hotspot there to provide any wifi laptop with free access?

I have never had great luck with special secret proprietary packages.  When I first got Verizon DSL, it came with a CD that I tried installing for about 36 CONSECUTIVE HOURS, including calls to customer service reps on at least 3 continents.  Finally a techie got on the phone and told me the super-secret DHCP and DNS entries that I could use to set up my router all by myself in ten minutes, using my browser.

Verizon has gotten better, but I really don't want to lose another three weeks of my life ripping out some miserable piece of SW that messes with my computer and hogs memory.  One of my wireless cards came with an old version of Boingo!, which I tried, and which also caused innumerable problems before I figured out I could use the Windows control panel to set up the wireless card and that Boingo! was apparently just a "friendly" front end like that Microsoft paper clip.

Not to mention that I am a dual Mac-PC user and resent the fact that Macs (and pre-G5 Macs, too) are left out of software that really doesn't need to use advanced features of the machine.  What happened to the much-touted advent of browser-based software?  If I can change my router or DSL modem settings in Firefox, why shouldn't there be a Firefox plugin to let me find a hotspot and connect to it?  Wait a minute ...

by pinuchkin on ‎12-14-2009 01:42 AM

Joined just to chime in.

1.  Another disappointed Mac user.

2.  Crappy selection of hotspots anyway, so somewhat less disappointed.

3.  NO WAY do I trust Verizon to let software run in the background; software download for access is antiquated at best.

4.  If the bandwidth we get wasn't better than the local competition, we would have ditched Verizon the first time the AutoPay OneBill fiasco set in (ie DSL doesn't talk to Wireless and neither of them talk to OneBill so if you pay a bill nobody is sure where the money was applied to, but everyone is sure that they weren't paid).  Almost wish the bandwidth would drop so I could feel more justified jumping ship.

5.  DSL customer service is an absolute joke - I have some 4 hr phone call horror stories ...

by customer1st on ‎12-17-2009 12:18 AM

As wukongeroo suggested, tried removing & reinstallng after disabling Norton Internet Security 2010, no luck.  The rep at Boingo's customer service said "since it's a Verizon download, we don't provide support for that, you have to call Verizon for support."  This marketing partnership doesn't seem to have any backbone in it.

Meanwhile I read that Barnes & Noble offering free wifi and all McDonald's will be in mid-January, to help retain their customers.

by branash1 on ‎12-31-2009 02:49 PM

I too am a avid Mac user and cant wait to see some progress on this for the Mac World.  I was so excited to see how quickly that Verizon responded to the Mac World for the Media Manager and hope to see the same thing on this.  Please update us Verizon.  Thanks

by ProllyNotHappy on ‎01-04-2010 12:29 PM

I too am another disappointed Mac user.

The original poster wrote:

"What about MacIntosh Users?

"Verizon Wi-Fi currently isn’t compatible with Macs, but we working to change that.  We’ll let you know here when it’s available to Mac users."

I can't help but notice that it's also not available to PDAs, smartphones, or "desktops". In other words, it's available ONLY on portable computers (laptops, netbooks)  running Windows (or Linux?).

As other recent posters have pointed out, the only reason it's not available is because Verizon wants you to access the hotspot using Verizon crapware, and they don't have that running on Mac OS yet. I see a connection between the requirement to use this Verizon solution to connect and the limitations on "desktops" -- they don't want just anyone using the bandwidth, they want to limit it to paying customers with their portable computers. I think this is a legitimate business concern, but here's got to be a better way. For example, they could have us use our subscription phone number and a unique password and discourage us from sharing that with friends by limiting the total bandwidth usage, or some other solution.

But this only adds insult to injury: the home media software that comes with FiOS TV is also not Mac compatible. I'm investigating replacing the Verizon DVR with a TiVo for just that reason...

by Scott_r1 on ‎01-09-2010 05:22 PM

As other recent posters have pointed out, the only reason it's not available is because Verizon wants you to access the hotspot using Verizon crapware, and they don't have that running on Mac OS yet. I see a connection between the requirement to use this Verizon solution to connect and the limitations on "desktops" -- they don't want just anyone using the bandwidth, they want to limit it to paying customers with their portable computers. I think this is a legitimate business concern, but here's got to be a better way. For example, they could have us use our subscription phone number and a unique password and discourage us from sharing that with friends by limiting the total bandwidth usage, or some other solution.

Not an acceptable excuse. Cablevision has wifi access limited to their customers, and all they need to do is to sign in through a web form. Users can even "register" a device (laptop, iPod touch, etc.) so that it automatically logs in each time without entering a login/password. Can't Verizon figure out how to do the same?

by branash1 on ‎01-11-2010 03:58 PM

To PaulMcG.... The Home Media DVR IS compatible with Mac.  I have it running on my iMac and everything works flawless.

by BostonMac on ‎01-17-2010 02:47 PM

Since Eric Rabe, Senior VP - Media relations has announced that he is no longer involved with this forum, would one of the other managers (Jim Smith, Bobbi Hensen, Jim Kula) give us an update on Eric's 8-19-2009 post saying:

How long must we wait for wi-fi to be available to Mac users (at least for laptops but preferably for iPhones/iPod Touchs as well).

by cbw on ‎01-21-2010 01:54 PM

Count me among those waiting for this to be available for the Mac. But if the solution requires running special software, include me out.

Verizon cripples lots of things as a business strategy. That's why I switched away from Verizon to a competitor for my cell phone a long time ago.

This may be the straw that breaks the camels back regarding landline. We shall see.

by Business_User on ‎03-17-2010 09:24 PM

Was there anythought given to locked down business users who travel and have FIOS?  It would be good to be able to connect to hotspots with out needing to install software - I already have a wireless manager from lenovo which I need to use, so I can't use the verizon software. 

How about a simple EAP /Radius type of implementation - its probably already supported.

by clubsudz on ‎03-22-2010 06:53 PM

I too ran into this same problem today while using Mozilla Firefox v3.5.8.  (I never use Microsoft Internet Explorer.)   Found this unsolved problem on the Verizon Forums.  Called FIOS Tech Support. After 15 - 20 minutes waiting they transfered me to the "Wi-Fi" help desk.  There I got to enjoy a lengthy recording with a lot of unuseful information but one tidbit at the very end that said you have to use MS Internet Explorer 6 and nothing else to install. Tried to register again using IE 6 and got past the error. 

Verizon should either (a) Document very clearly that you MUST use IE 6 to register (and they can check the browser that's clicking on "register" and "download" and flag the browser).  or (b) Fix their code to work on Mozilla Firefox to server the other 50% of people on Earth who don't use IE.

by pfitzuscg on ‎04-21-2010 04:25 PM

Any update on the availability of Verizon WiFi for Mac OS users?  I recently upgraded my FIOS bundle to one that qualified for the WiFi; however, was terribly disappointed when I found out after the fact that it required the download and installation of a Windows only client to access a WiFi Hotspot.  I've never encountered a hotspot before that was operating system specific, even when it required an account and authentication.   Hopefully progress is being made on this.

by Employee on ‎04-22-2010 04:57 PM

pfitzuscg,

Eric Rabe retired at the end of last year, so I'm jumping in here to answer your question.  I can understand your disappointment at not being able to use Verizon Wi-Fi, but there are no updates on when it might be available for Mac users.  We will definitely blog about it if  there's anything to report.

Sharon Cohen-Hagar

Verizon at Home Blog

by bsatchfield on ‎04-30-2010 06:04 PM

The latest version of SPOT magazine has an ad for Verizon Wifi and it notes "Now available for Macs." Yet when I tried to register today, I received the message that it was only available to Windows users. What gives?

by Employee on ‎05-04-2010 09:31 AM

bsatchfield,

I haven't seen the ad in SPOT magazine, but Verizon Wi-Fi currently isn't available for Macs. If you send me some more information about SPOT magazine and the issue the ad appeared in, I'll look into it.   You can always find the latest information about Verizon Wi-Fi on our website:

http://www22.verizon.com/residential/wifi/

Sharon Cohen-Hagar

Verizon at Home Blog

by tavella on ‎05-31-2010 01:41 AM

Verizon Wi-Fi currently isn’t compatible with Macs, but we working to change that.  We’ll let you know here when it’s available to Mac users.

Last updated August 19, 2009? 

I apologize in advance for this harsh post, but a company as large as Verizon should be able to allocate some resources to address Mac users. Our numbers may not be as great as Microsoft users, but there are more than enough of us out there that a little bit of resources could be allocated. The aircard software supports Macs. Could it be that since this is a free service, lower priority? 

I would like to thank you for the Mac version of the Media Manager. The video sharing feature that exists on the Windows client would have been a nice touch. 

Regardless of my complaints, I feel that we are all paying customers and if this service is provided to Windows users, it should be provided to those who use Mac as well. 

Thank you for your time. I hope that we end up with a client sometime soon.

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎06-03-2010 02:18 PM

Frontier has Mac support for its hotspots.

http://www.frontierhelp.com/faq.cfm?qstid=660&catid=250

What is the problem, Verizon?

by Orlando on ‎06-03-2010 07:07 PM

Well, I guess I should have checked the forums before making the decision to get the MiFi mobile hotspot.

I am also a Mac user, part of the "minority" that should know its place, lesson learned.

Good news is I'm still within the 30 days return period, so as soon as I get home, the little device will be on its way back to Verizon.

Cheers to you all.

by DesertWillow1 on ‎06-09-2010 06:20 PM

I'll second the comment made by Orlando.  I am glad I didn't sign up for a 2-year commitment.  I was misled into thinking that my new Mifi $60/mo service included the Verizon Wifi hotspots that would not count against my measly 5GB downloads per month.  However, if I sent back the Mifi within the 30 day period, I would be out a total of $70 additional to my $60/mo charge ($35 activation fee and $35 restocking charge for the Mifi 2200).  When my contract is up, I won't be renewing. 

How could Verizon not support Macs in this day and age???!!!  There is absolutely no excuse for this!

Verizon at Home Blog
The first place for news of new Verizon products and services or upgrades to the ones you have. For service problems click here. Or check our Community Forums.

Please note: Please register as a member of the Verizon Community Forums to comment here.

About The Authors

Bob Elek

Manager - Media Relations

Photo of Maitreyi Krishnaswamy

Bob stays on top of developments and issues with Verizon’s Consumer and Mass Business segment from his home base in Florida. He has been involved with FiOS since it was first being developed and deployed in 2004.

Alberto Canal

Photo of Alberto Canal

Alberto is in the public relations group. He loves to share tech, sustainability, feel-good, and random news of interest. A happy FiOS quad play customer, he likes to use his family as guinea pigs.

Deidre Hart

Manager -- Media Relations

Photo of Deidre Hart

Deidre is a member of the consumer PR team and loves to talk everything FiOS and everything football. She’s also a happy Triple Play customer.

Phil Santoro

Photo of Phil

Phil has been extolling the virtues of FiOS ever since he had his Triple Play installed and can’t image how he ever managed without it. He writes about developing technologies that enable him to fuel his addiction to movies and sports whenever he wants, no matter where he is.

Caroline Wilson

Photo of Caroline

Caroline manages the Verizon FiOS Google+ page, capturing the latest in entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between. She loves using social media and the written word to extend the FiOS conversation.

Categories
Follow Verizon on Twitter

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411